When did you 1st LOVE horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of you are just so lucky
default_smile.png

I have loved horses since, well, as long as I can remember. My mother, like I, had always wanted a horse when she was young but could just not afford it. It would tun out to be much the same fate for me. I started riding in gr.2 but never got past cantering, as I had a knee problem and had to stop. I had always wanted a horse, but we never really knew anyone with them. I remember stowing away from "reading buddies" at school just so me and my horseloving pals could read about horse facts. I dedicated myself to reading every book about them till I knew everything from all the breeds and their histories to how to cure colic. But I was still never granted my wish. Then a friend of mine introduced me to minis, at a local tack shop where we could enjoy this lady's horses, and I was so happy just to be able to feel a little breath on my neck, or a soft coat. I got into showing, and got myself a job so I could save up for one. I had more than enough money to buy and care for one, but still, my parents said no. It just wasnt enough to pay for it myself. I can just remember crying and not understanding why life was so unfair. Then my parents told me I couldnt show anymore. It just broke my heart to leave the little mare I loved. I still lurked on the fourm because it was my last tie to the minis. I tried so hard just to find a job as a stablehand, just so I could be near horses, if I wasn't allowed to own one. But time after time, odd coincidences came up on why I couldnt get hired. I began to wonder if anything would ever start working out for me. And then, by some crazy chain of events I ended up getting a job doing pony rides. I work for the best people anyone could ever ask for, and as it turns out, (and i had no idea of this when my uncle told me about his "friend that does the ponyrides") that one of my best friends works their too! It's just the best. I love kids and, of course horses, and I'm allowed to come up and ride whenever I want to. They have 23 ponies and horses and 3 donkeys. Things finnally came together for me. I have up coming univeresity to dedicate my paychecks to now, but once I'm done, I intend to finally get my own horse. It will be a dream come true.

Things finnally came together for me. I have up coming univeresity to dedicate my paychecks to now, but once I'm done, I intend to finally get my own horse. It will be a dream come true.

Erin don't EVER give up... i tell that to kids all the time, it would be nice if parents would or could make dreams come true but that's not always the case for a variety of reasons... however when you are an adult, YOU are in charge, and you can make your own dreams come true. i was 35 years old when i got my first horse and my mom was over 60... it's the hardest thing in the world to be patient but you can do it!! if you are ever out our way feel free to come by and share mine
default_yes.gif
:

My first real memories of loving horses was when I would go with my dad to Atwoods in Enid oklahoma. He was a farmer and would be buying boring stuff and i would spend the whole time looking at the Breyer Horses. I remember my first one a dapple grey arabian mare. I named her Proud Eagle and she was my best friend!

I was born with spina bifida and had to have many surgerys during my growing up years, that and my family was cattle and wheat farmers and had no use for horses -who tear up fences! So I grew up horseless! I read all the Margerite Henry books and Walter Farley Black Stallion series. I read Western Horsemen magazine every month and occassionally would get a copy of Quarter Horse Journal. I did everything I could to learn about them.

Then I graduated from High School went to work and horses kinda got shove aside for the "real world". Then when I was 29 I met my husband. Soon after we were married we went to a miniature horse show in Oklahoma city just for something to do. I fell in love all over!!!! with horses and my husband! Because after looking around he said "We could put on of these in the back yard!" and so it began. We met Rita Jenkins who only lived 20 minutes from me and within a couple months had bought our first two colts! Rita has remained a dear friend and I can't thank her enough for all she taught us. Next came showing. I was convinced that I couldnt show because I was in a wheelchair. I was soon proved wrong and have been showing ever since! I am now on 2 committes - The AMHA Special Needs Committee and also a new foundation that Sue Elniff has started to help get special needs children and adults showing more. It is called Mini Dreams for Special Needs.

We have 7 minis and are expecting two foals in the next 3 months. I also fulfilled my dream of owning a Lucky 17 Cowboy colt this summer with the purchase of Reflections Random Doodles CBY. Thank you Charlotte and Frank Lupton!! I will be showing him this summer. Woohoo!

So having loved horses since early childhood the are now finally a huge part of my life. Also my father who was so against me having a horse cause he was afraid I would get hurt. He is my biggest fan and is thrilled when he gets to come watch me show. I think that is the coolest. Sorry to be so lengthy!!! Sheila

My mom and sister were horse crazy, I got none of it. My first girlfriend was horse crazy and only dated guys with trucks. she needed someone who could move hay, trailers, manuer, etc.. when I married some years latter Barb told me that the only animal she couldnt get her dad to buy was a horse. [she had leased several]. She finally talked me into buying a horse for the "boys". well I fell in love with her and bought a horse for myself latter that year. Now I cant imagine not having them . DR.

I read every horse book I could find. Even today, the horse books are the biggest category in my classroom. (There are many students reading them! :aktion033: )

Lately, I keep remembering a book I read as a youngster called Winter Pony. Every time I see my horses out in the show, I remember longing for a horse every time I read that book--and here I am, age 46, and the dream has come true; there are 5+ winter ponies out in the barn/pasture. Life is good.
Yup, started at age 5 when I first rode a pony... read every horse book I could get my hands on including Summer Pony and Winter Pony and Easter Pony (about an orphaned "Modern" Shetland back in the day before they were called Moderns - because of that book, I now have my yearling Modern filly Nefertiti), leased a grade Shetland for a bit... at age 18 bought my first horse, a QH/Arab cross that I trained myself and had to sell when marriage, family and mortgages came up....later found out that Jean Slaughter Doty was actually a neighbor of mine when I lived in CT but never got to meet her.... :no:

Add a move out of state where I had no friends and two babies under the age of 2 - then enter Harriett Rubins at a very bad time in my life - I got to work for her twice a week and got my four first minis from her (Breezy, Serena, Mac and then Mercy). Life was finally on an upswing but still did not have my own farm.

Worked for many farms for a 10+ year period to board my few minis and finally in 2000, purchased our "farmette"... built a barn...did some breeding and showing and am now looking forward to more showing and one, possibly 2 registered Morgan fillies coming to join us...the yearling "Enterprise's" arrival is pending a trip to PA to ship my Shetland mare to her new home... other Morgan's arrival is pending the sale of my large pony....but life is GOOD! :aktion033: No more breeding for me but the arrival of these yearlings to me is as wonderful as any foal!

Then there is having Mercy... and what a horse she is... in books and magazines, on Animal Planet and the local news and the cover of a local newspaper...a "Celebrity Horse" at Equine Affaire 2006... her service work as a Delta Society certified Pet Partner...triple AMHR Hall of Fame recipient, multi-champion performance horse... and my best friend who loved to ride in the car with her chin on my shoulder....only wish Marguerite Henry was alive to write her story...
default_yes.gif
:

Oh, and my mom would say I used to pretend I was a horse... tonight, before Mercy came in, we did our usual run about the pasture in the snow, together. Never mind that I am almost 43 with bolts holding my knee together... for one moment I was a horse again, running with a horse who includes me in her herd and yields to me as alpha...something that doesn't happen with her equine companions...she would buck and toss her head and head to the gate as she wanted dinner, but I asked her for one more run and kindly, she obliged.....
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: And I didn't have to explain myself to anyone!

Guess I am a terminal horse case. :bgrin

My mom reminded me this morning that when I was a toddler, I would get up in the middle of the night to ride my rocking horse... she would often hear the springs and would get up to chase me back to bed.

Denise

Silversong Farm

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back