When color testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frekles93

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Do you ask for a certin thing to be tested for?? Or do they test for all colors??? How do you narrow down what to test for? For example..... this filly I registered as a bay pinto. Sire is reg as a buckskin but looks exactly like her maybe a little blacker and her dam is a bay. What test would I ask for to be done?[/SIZE]

Kitten706.JPG

Sire

Kalida0003.jpg

Dam

Fudge.JPG

April

Well that sire is not a buckskin. I would say he is a silver dapple. So you could test her for LWO and Silver but I dont know about the other. NOt a color expert.

They will only test for the colors/patterns you ask for. Each test is $25.

She does not look bay to me, but it is late and my eyes are getting blurry. Some Bays can be extremely dark. She does look Black base, possibly Silver, possibly with Cream (if sire was a Buckskin). LOOKS to be Frame and Sabino, possibly with Tobiano. Mixtures of patterns can often be confusing.

So, things you could have tested for if you want to spend the money to know for sure include:

Red factor (to know if she is homozygous for Black or not)

Cream (to determine if she is Smokey Black)

Silver

Agouti (to determine if she is a very dark bay, but she does not appear so to me)

LWO (if she is positive as she appears to me, you should never breed her to a stallion that has not been tested negative)

Sabino1 (she appears to carry Sabino, but there are many types of Sabino and a test for only 1)

Tobiano

There are six tests. Total cost for all, $150.

Personally, I love her color and markings and to me, the most important test would be the LWO.

It depends on what you want to know!
default_wink.png
:

She does look bay to be, maybe she was even clearer in het babycoat, then she is at least EeAa, do you want to know if she is homozygous for black? Then you could test for red/black.

Sire doesn´t look like he has agouti so agouti would be a waste she would be Aa.

She doesn´t look silver either cause she has a darker tail.

Sabino is a waste of money to me cause even if she tests negative you could still be sabino, there are prabably a dozen sabino factors.

And LWO I would test, though she indeed looks like it clearly.

I would just test for red/black and LWO, nothing else.

[SIZE=14pt]I am wanting to get the right color for her. I am SURE she will test LWO positive. Her half sister is and they look a lot alike. I know all about the LWO gene and will be very careful in the studs I use for them. So problably to first test to do it an Red/black?? To see if she is Bay? I just want to make sure I have the right colors on my horses. These color things confuse me badly.[/SIZE]

April

[SIZE=14pt]I am wanting to get the right color for her. I am SURE she will test LWO positive. Her half sister is and they look a lot alike. I know all about the LWO gene and will be very careful in the studs I use for them. So problably to first test to do it an Red/black?? To see if she is Bay? I just want to make sure I have the right colors on my horses. These color things confuse me badly.[/SIZE]

April
The Red/Black test will only tell you if she is Homozygous or Heterozygous for Black. She is obviously Black based. To find out if she is Bay, you need to do the Agouti test.

She looks silver bay to me, her sire looks silver black. I don't see any cream gene in her. I wouldn't test for it.

Her dam is clearly a solid bay, so no need to test for tobiano (pinto) since she's going to be heterozygous.

I would test for the Agouti gene to see if she is bay or black, she obviously isn't red.

I would also test her for LWO, as that is important to know.

I would test her for silver, since her sire looks silver not buckskin at all to me. Her forelock and tail are dark but have that "creamy" color to it that some shades of silvers have, not all silvers have pure white manes and tails. If she wasn't silver, her forelock and tail would be pure black.

I wouldn't test for sabino, there is only one test and she has that "broken edge" to her markings and roaning so i'm sure she is sabino.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I don´t see silver at all, and she looks clearly bay to me, do you have newborm pics that would make it even clearer I think.

But if you wnat to know for sure test for red/black if you wnat to know if she is homo-or heterozygous for black, if you don´t want to know just test for agouti, cause she is clearly not red based.

Can't see the color of the sire that well in the small picture. He could simply be a Black Sabino. Or, he could be Silver Black. Whichever...he is definitely carrying Sabino as well.

Your filly is a Bay Frame Sabino...she looks exactly like my Bay Frame Sabinos!
default_yes.gif
: Now, there "could" be some silver in there as well....but hard to tell visually, since Sabino roaning can cause the manes & tails to appear lighter. Silvert can be tested for now. She obviously is carrying agouti, since she is Bay. So no need to test for that. She's also a "visual" Frame....so no need to test for that either, IMO. It WILL BE necessary to test any stallion you breed her to, to be sure he isn't LWO!

Here are pics of my Bay Frame Sabino mares.

This one is Lacy. Notice her lower front legs are not black in this shot. This is her in summer coat & the Sabino roaning is much more pronounced in summer. The "lightened" lower legs are caused by Sabino roaning...not the silver gene.

f62e5232.jpg

Here is a winter shot of the same mare.

f5a4f8f1.jpg

And here is MayZ...she is also a Bay Frame Sabino, but a darker shade than Lacy. MayZ tested out to be homozygous Black as well as LWO.

e81911ac.jpg

And in her darker, winter coat.

f3b28c68.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]OK here is her baby pics.[/SIZE]

MVC-221S.jpg

MVC-217S.jpg

MVC-218S.jpg

Pic of her Granddam on Sires side. Which looks like Buckskin.

Fancy07.jpg

Pic of her Grandsire on Sires side. Which is what I call Sorrel

DSC00256.jpg

Beleive it or not Fudge, the solid bay, is by and out of Pintos...... She gives my pinto bred to pinto. I dont have pics of her parents but i do have a pic of another foal and it is pinto....

April

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back