Wheat fields and Horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyndiD

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]TOXIC...especially if they are under about 6" tall.[/SIZE]

Reason I am asking is because last week I had 4 mares get loose, due to a tree that fell on the fence..which I was unaware of (check your fencelines after heavy winds!!!!) and were out on a young wheat field, eating..running and giving me the scare of my life!!

Has anyone heard of this before?? I have not noticed anything, but one of the younger mares started to colic a few days later, but recovered without a vet...

Appreciate any thoughts..what I should do or watch for...experiences...

Our big horses were all turned out on a 100 acre wheat field with the cattle earlier in the year. I wouldn't think it would be toxic at all, ours are still alive & kicking...not to mention fatter than pigs!

I could be wrong, but I don't remember reading wheat plants on any of the poisonous plant lists I've read lately. I would think that since farmers used horses in wheat fields back in the day, that there would be a lot of articles around warning about the dangers, if there were some. Hopefully someone will know for sure though.

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks...I feel better about it now.[/SIZE]

I never heard of such a thing before, but wanted to tap into the knowledge on this board.

I am glad to note that only 2 days after their "escape" the field was SPRAYED. :new_shocked:

Latest posts

Back