What's the best way to disinfect a foaling stall?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contessa

Reaction score
I have one foaling stall and am expecting two foals this year, June and September. Right now the stall is being used as one of my run in stalls from a paddock and there are two different mares that come and go in there. I know I need to disinfect before the first mare is due and afterwards for the second mare. What products should I use to best do this? I saw a video of someone using Clean and Green with a rag-that just doesn't look like it would do the job! The stall has a concrete floor (with a removable black mat)and plywood and pine board walls. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've used bleach water or Nolvasan Scrub with a mop to get into all the crevices. I think the Nolvasan is probably better. My husband uses bleach water with a pressure washer.

If you have a garden sprayer, we use a bleach mixture and that way you can do walls and everything- once it's dry, you are good to go....

We use bleach water mixture as well in a garden sprayer
default_yes.gif

Whatever you choose to use, make sure you rinse any surfaces the foal can reach. Babies like to lick stuff and rub their mouths over everything
default_smile.png

I have to confess that I stopped disinfecting foaling stalls a long time ago. I just kept them clean and made sure that there had been no sick horses in that stall anytime in the last few months. When I had concrete floored stalls previously, I did pull up mats and scrub the mats & floor with a stiff bristle broom and a novalsan solution.

I use virkon, as there is little to no odor and is safer than bleach.

Just remember that with any disinfecting product that you must have a contact time of 10 minutes before you rinse!

and make sure to rinse REALLY well!

Cheers

Masako

One of my concerns was the foal licking any residue, especially with bleach. I also wondered about the bleach fumes in the barn? I'm guessing that rinsing off everything and sending it out into the paddock won't hurt anyone??

Does TSC carry Novasan?

You don't need to use but 1 Tablespoon of bleach to 1 gal of water to disinfect. Just make sure you use regular bleach and not the scent stuff.

One tablespoon of bleach??? I was thinking along the lines of using 1 or 2 cups to a gallon!

I use 1 tbsp of bleach to 1 gallon of water each time I strip my stalls completely. I use a mop and bucket on the floor. Rinse well and let dry, then put in your shavings/etc. Works well for us. I don't want too strong of a solution because it damages my mats and burns.

Great topic!!! What do you mean by you putting the mixture in a garden sprayer???

Would Simple Green work? I was going to use a scrub brush and then hose it down!!!

I think if you are worried about the foal licking the surfaces you could use Vanodine. It is safe to even put into drinking water. However it is expensive. It costs $86.40 for a gallon. You can find it at www.kwcages.com if you want to check it out.

Virkon S is the safest, most effective disinfectant to use. Bleach, contrary to LONG held belief, is not effective against many of todays infectous agents. Its GOOD, yes, but not best. Its also inactivated quite quickly, and can take up to ten minutes of firm contact time before its done its job. Virkon S takes 1-2 minutes, lasts longer, and is safer for the enviroment. Its also effective against many more types of agents, including some nasty viruses. Its pretty cheap too. Not as cheap as bleach, but certainly cheaper than Nolvesan!

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PG...&ccd=INK003

Latest posts

Back