What's in our tack room?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortymisty

Reaction score
OK, so for weeks, something has been going in our tack room and taking things, leaves the horse feed alone, but we have cat food in a big milk container, that we put down into the horse feed bin so nothing will disturb it. Wrong! what ever it is it can open the trash bin get the cat food out unscrew the top and get the food out. It has gone in there and open up my tack container and taken out the brushes, my halters have disappeared (they were hanging up on the racks). SO we finally put a camera up there last night but hubby forgot to cut it on to record last night and when he went in there this morning, the TV had been turned over. The cats can't turn this over, unless my little 27" mare is walking up the steps and going in the tack room but then the horse feed would be disturbed. So have to wait another night before we find out. Question is, can raccoons untwist plastic lids? I know they are quite ingenious but didn't know they could do something like that. Plus now we have 5 new baby kitties hiding out in the hay so there is another reason to figure out what this thing is, whatever it is, it doesn't like to clean up his messes :lol:

Question is, can raccoons untwist plastic lids?

DEFINITELT!

They sure can and the cat food would be much more attractive to a raccoon.

Anne

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it must be a sasquatch except I didn't know they lived where you are. LOL Let us know what you find out.

I agree with Anne, more than likely your culprit is a coon! They love cat food, we have them on our front porch all the time stealing some to eat.

I also agree with Anne! Racoons have fingers and "paws" much like our's and can open cans and doors!

Oh, and they LOVE cat food!
default_yes.gif
:

MA

I think you have a human thief....you said you had halters missing........and also the tv turned over but not busted.

I do actually agree more with Marty. Why would a racoon get into the brushes and take halters? Perhaps the cat food is just a cover for something more serious going on here. I do hope you figure it out soon.

OK, camera is set and tivo recording so watch whoever or whatever not show
default_rolleyes.gif
: keep your fingers crossed
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you catch the culprit on the camera last night????

Probably Racoons. I had roommates that had 2 young coons that got out of their cage and into the house. To say they had fun is an understatement! They hit the kitchen cupboards and got into absolutely everything. Flour and sugar everywhere, not a box unopened. Pulled down the plantstand in the big picture window. It looked liked on tv when someone ransacks the house.

A word of caution; they will kill the kittens if they find them so be careful.

Raccoon did come in sniffed around and left, big dog never saw before came in checked things out left, came back with a friend (the neighbor's dog) they sniffed around peed and left. They may be the culprits that are taking my tack and coon is the one eating the food. Momma cat has been moving her babies three or four times a day. Trap to be set tonight to rehome the raccoon and great pyreneese will be up there in a couple of days to oust the dogs. Husband is putting electric wires across the door to prevent dogs from coming in. What worries me about these dogs is I do have one pregnant mare due in May, so have to resolve this soon. Didn't look like they bothered the horses too much, just looking for food. Surprised neighbor's dog over there as he has already had his jaw dislocated from a kick. Wonder if leaving the radio on would deter these creatures. And should I ask them what they did with my halters?
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
:

It could be a CHUPACABRA.

They can only be seen in mirrors, or is that vampires. Wait, I think they cannot be seen in cameras but can be seen only in sunlight when looking back over your right shoulder. :new_shocked:

Definately a Racoon. They can open doors, open lids, just about anything a person can do. I had one that came into the garage, opened a sliding glass patio type door, ate the cat food, turn over the trap and mooned the camera. When I saw how big he was in the video I just started locking the door.

Yep I do believe it is a CHUPACABRA.

Raccoon didn't go in the front where he would have been shocked, smarter than me they are, went around to the side where there is a small door for kitties to go in and out. So didn't catch him last night, must of smelled the wires HAHA

The saga continues

Regarding your halters.....It could be the raccoons too. They are naturally curious little creatures and can be a bit like "pack rats"!

Problem will be - finding where they packed those things off to!
default_unsure.png
:

MA

UPDATE: These raccoons are quite bold now. Thought there was one but last night he brought a buddy to get the shock treatment while he ran in to investigate things, doesn't matter whether they get shocked or not they go in and check things out, but haven't "stolen" anything this last week AND now there is their buddy Mr. Possom. Mr. Possom got the shock treatment, did a little dance (didn't make a little love heh heh ok, so I'm a 70's child) and continued on in, cats didn't even bother him SO it's now time for relocation, just wish I knew where they lived so I could get my things back :new_shocked:

Latest posts

Back