What would you test these fillies for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
Hi I'm going to have these girls tested but what tests would you do on them? Both fillies have the same sire and he is a homozygous pinto. The one filly's dam is a cremello and the other ones dam is an overo.

Just curious to what I should test for..

017.JPG

011.JPG

You could test both for:

Tobiano

Splash

Black

Frame/OLW

Sabino

The one with the cremello dam you can test for cream, would tell you if she was a smokey black..

If the dam is cremello, the filly has one copy of the cream gene, no need to test (the mare gave her one copy of cream, its guaranteed from a cremello, or any double cream), and the filly IS smokey black (unless another modifier would be present such as agouti, dun, etc).

The sabino test is a waste of money as it only tests for one form of sabino, sb-1, and there are many forms of sabino; so even if she tests negative, she could still have another form of sabino.

The only one you have test for, especially if you wish to breed is LWO (frame); the rest are just icing on the cake.

Thanks Chandab...This color testing is confusing...lol.
It comes down to what do you want to know and why... If its just for your own knowledge, then its upto you and you can do as many or few tests as you wish (if there is a chance she'll ever be bred, then definitely LWO test). If there is something specific you want to know about, then test for that specifically.

Thanks Chandab..They both will be bred in a few years so wanted to test them now..I will be looking for a stallion also so need to know if either are LWO..Its also fun just to see what they will test for..lol

Latest posts

Back