what would you test for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
We want to learn as much colorwise as we can about our new stallion

he is Palomino but has white legs and a thin blaze you can see the white better in the woolie pics

Buzz.jpg

above pic curtosy of Little Kings Farm

buzz2010-11winter006small.jpg

buzz2010-11winter051small.jpg

His sire is a buckskin (Boones Little Buckeroo)

His Dam is a Bay with a Blaze (Philia Blazes Ginger)

I figure to test for

Black/Red

Agouti

LWO (just incase as we do have 1 pinto mare)

Silver (may or may not be necessary) not sure

anything else we should test for while we are at it

is it worh testing for Splash or Sabino?

or is there anything else to help us learn his color

producing future

I don't know if anything else applies in his case

what would you test for?

I didn't ask for permission to post pic of his dam I can send you a pic by email if you want, and of course we all know what color buckeroo is

Last edited by a moderator:
With two bay based parents, he probably carries agouti so you can test for that if you want. Definitely test for LWO, I personally would have any stallion tested before breeding. Neither of his parents were silver so he can't be. All palominos are ee so no reason to test for red/black either.

Really just agouti for curiousity's sake and LWO for safety's sake and that's all you need.

I would bet the leg white is sabino but that test won't tell you much.

What the response above said
default_smile.png
no need to test for red/black...as a palomino he is homozygous recessive for red. No silver as neither sire or dam carry it. Personally I would test for agouti, lwo (though i'm almost positive he'll test neg ), and sabino. I'm pretty sure his white is from sabino. I personally don't test for it, but it's nice to be able to say they tested positive when it comes to advertising.

What a good looking boy
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I can't offer any knowledgeable opinion on colour testing. I have a friend in the area that is an expert and when I have a question, he's the man!

No need to test for Black as he is H/Z Red with Cream- that is a given since he is Palomino.

Check for Silver as Buckeroo is a Silver Buckskin and has thrown quite a few.

I would test for LWO merely because he is Pinto and it is a responsible thing to do.....

Would also agree with testing for Agouti, it is just nice to know, as it can be sneaky.

No need to test for Black as he is H/Z Red with Cream- that is a given since he is Palomino.

Check for Silver as Buckeroo is a Silver Buckskin and has thrown quite a few.

I would test for LWO merely because he is Pinto and it is a responsible thing to do.....

Would also agree with testing for Agouti, it is just nice to know, as it can be sneaky.

Wow, I had no idea that Buckeroo is a silver buckskin, he never looked like it in the pics I've seen of him.

Buckeroo has a very black mane and tail (which could be dyed but I doubt he'd have his mane and tail dyed black if they were actually flaxen/light which they would be if he was silver buckskin) and also very black legs. From what I've seen, he is not silver. Also, we'd see a LOT more silver black, smokey silver black, and silver bay foals from him. I've seen very few compared to his total number of foals which means any silver foals most likely came from a silver carrying dam.

Thanks so much for the help everyone and the comments on our boy we are so excited to have him and look so forward to his 2012 foals

you saved me some $ on testing as I would have also done the black/red

Any other input on the silver I really don't think Boones Buckeroo could have been a silver buckskin from the pictures of him but maybe I should still do the silver

I am 99.9% sure you don't need to test for silver. Gorgeous boy....can't wait to see your future foals with him!

Buckeroo is a Silver Buckskin.

He is by a Silver stallion o/o a palomino mare.

When he was a baby he had a flaxen mane and tail but, because Cream seems to inhibit the expression of Silver, as he grew up they darkened and they are now black.

The sire of my stallion, who is by Alvadars DD is also a Silver Buckskin (lots of Buckeroo offspring are) and her also has a black mane and tail and black legs.

They are not dyed.

He is a Silver Buckskin.

They do not have to have blond manes and tails, in fact they often do not.

Buckeroo is a Silver Buckskin.

He is by a Silver stallion o/o a palomino mare.
While I don't know if he has silver or not, he doesn't look it in the pictures I've seen; until now, I didn't look up his parents. Today, I looked, his sire is listed as sorrel (yes, I realize many colors are listed wrong in the books) and dam is listed as palomino; well we all know if his sire was indeed a sorrel, there is no way he could be a buckskin, so sire must of been a silver bay. I've been trying to look up more, but the computer keeps locking up, must be time to go do something else instead.

wow Jane and Chanda

you must be right because

sorrel/chestnut x palomino === palomino or Chestnut

I also saw poplar lanes samson was lited as sorrel but didn't think that far ahead

and from the old pictures I'll bet silver bay too

I'm floored ..........color is just crazy
default_doh.gif

I will be testing for silver also

The only available pictures of Buckeroos sire are in B&W, I always assumed he was Silver Bay- he is listed as Chocolate Dapple but I guess the registry did not take that colour back then??

There is no doubt, from the number of Silvers he has sired, that he is a Silver Buckskin.

Even though his sire may have been silver, that doesn't mean buckeroo is. With the large amount of foals he has sired, the number of silver carriers should be about 50% and he is not anywhere close to that. He doesn't look it nor does his progeny record indicate that he carried it. He has been bred to many different mares so i'm sure quite a few have been silver passing it on themselves.

Wanted to add that back in the day a lot of bays were listed as chestnut /sorrel as well.

Ah, I'd never paid any attention at all to Buckeroo's color, if he is silver or not. I never paid much attention to Double Destiny either, but I know someone who has a Destiny son and I had him figured for a silver buckskin. When I commented on that to the owner one day she said no, he's just buckskin, no silver. As it turns out, though, that stallion has sired several silver blacks that are out of black (no silver) mares, so I was right about him.

wow Jane and Chanda

you must be right because

sorrel/chestnut x palomino === palomino or Chestnut

I also saw poplar lanes samson was lited as sorrel but didn't think that far ahead

and from the old pictures I'll bet silver bay too

I'm floored ..........color is just crazy
default_doh.gif

I will be testing for silver also
I still don't know if Buckeroo is silver buckskin or not, he is just so dark; but his sire was definitely no sorrel. Even if his sire is silver bay, that doesn't mean he necessarily passed on his silver; he may have just passed on the black and agouti and the mare passed the cream making Buckeroo at least buckskin (black + agouti + cream).

Minimor-Double Destiny is definitely silver buckskin, yes. He gets the silver from his sire, LK Buckeroo Times Two who I believe gets it from his dam, LK M'Lady Buckeroo. She is listed as chestnut as well as her dam, but they both have history of producing silver and M'Lady Buckeroo is a granddaughter of Komokos Little Champ who I believe is a silver bay pinto and not a chestnut pinto like he is listed as. Here is a picture of him that I have found that really makes me think so: CHAMP PIC

Note the flaxen mane and tail and darker legs.

I haven't researched many of Buckeroo's foals extensively, but the ones that are silver for sure that I have, the silver can be traced through the dams.

Latest posts

Back