What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartkranch

Reaction score
My old(24) year old Quarter horse got his foot cut about 3 weeks ago about a inch deep right above his coroet band. I got the vet out, paid 400 for him to clean it, cut so access tissue off. He came out again Because Britches after two weeks wouldn't put weight on his foot. Charged 125 dollars for looking at him. I've paid 75 dollars so far on bandages and little stuff. Like epsom salt, vet wrap.

I called another vet because I didn't think my first was doing a good job. He gave me stronger antiboitics, powder pain meds. He said that now he'll need surgery because his tendon is locked up, after this 350 vet visit, it'll be 600 for the surgery for the canker in his hoof and the tendon now that is locked up. I asked him about payment plans and he said no. I can't get britches inside of a trailer because he has that one foot in the air.

He's was my High school Rodeo horse and I've owned him for 14 years. He is close to my everything. I think I'll have to put him down..

Would you put him down, or try to find another vet? Still finding another vet that'll come out here and not charge that kind of money is slim to none. I've called several vets (including Lone star racetrack) and none will do payments. I have pretty much spent everything I can trying to save him, and the vet just said he'll put him down for free, JERK. Only thing left I can really do..

I've done everything I know to do. I could have handled 500 but now that I've spent 1k and looking to spend that again I can't do it. I feel like a failure at being a horse owner and a best friend

This is Britches about 2 months ago.

britcheshay-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry but this isn't what you're going to want to hear but you did ask what we'd do and this is my honest answer. I'm a firm believer that if people can't afford to care for their animals health then they shouldn't own an animal. I sure wouldn't want my life to be worth only $1000. This is this horses only life - it's as important to him as yours is to you. There is no such place as the rainbow bridge (hopefully people realize that was a nice fairy story written by someone in the 80's) You're making the choice to end this sentient beings life...once it's done there's no going back.

I'm sorry but this isn't what you're going to want to hear but you did ask what we'd do and this is my honest answer. I'm a firm believer that if people can't afford to care for their animals health then they shouldn't own an animal. I sure wouldn't want my life to be worth only $1000. This is this horses only life - it's as important to him as yours is to you. There is no such place as the rainbow bridge (hopefully people realize that was a nice fairy story written by someone in the 80's) You're making the choice to end this sentient beings life...once it's done there's no going back.
Why do you think I feel so bad? 1000 for a horse that will not do anything for the rest of his life, but eat and enjoy. The last 6 months I've had nothing but colics(out of 4 different horses), My losing part of my eye sight out of a horse fall and have things come up out of my control. I'm sorry if after 4000 dollars with horses in 6 months, and another 3000 for me in the same time period I can only spend so much. heck that is ALL of my savings. I give everything here the best home they can get, but there is a time where I can't do everything.

6 months spending almost 10k thats all I can do, thanks for making me feel like a bad horse owner

In my opinion, you have given Britches a good life. He has been loved and well taken care of. You have done what you can. I had a horse like your Britches. HIs name was Leo. I loved that horse more than anything at that time - he truly was the love of my life. At the age of 28, he colicked and the vet we used was stuck in another emergency surgery. I couldn't get another vet to come in time and his heart gave out and he died in my arms. I was devastated. That said, even if the vet could've made it in time, even though I had loved this horse since I was 6 years old and I was 22 at that time, I never would've had colic surgery done on a horse that old. I could not have afforded it even if I had wanted to. Does that make me an irresponsible horse owner? No.

Even now, I chose less than a month ago to have our 10 year old schnauzer put to sleep rather than spend the large amounts of money it would've taken to make him well. This is more than just caring for your animal's health. You didn't leave him to suffer and wait to call the vet, you called right away, did what you could do, but now it is beyond where you can go. There should be no shame in that.

To me, not caring for an animal would've been leaving him standing in a field with the open cut getting infected and not calling the vet because you couldn't afford the first call. You didn't do that. You have tried what you can. At 24, even with the surgery there's probably a chance he won't recover. And I'm not talking about being able to be ridden, but even being without pain or without risking laminitis in the other legs because of the redistribution of the weight.

This is a hard decision and one of the worst ones we face as the owners of animals. But you will not face any recrimination from me. Britches is a horse. As much as you love him, you should not feel guilted into putting yourself and your family in financial hardship to save him. That's just my position!

Barbara

In my opinion, you have given Britches a good life. He has been loved and well taken care of. You have done what you can. I had a horse like your Britches. HIs name was Leo. I loved that horse more than anything at that time - he truly was the love of my life. At the age of 28, he colicked and the vet we used was stuck in another emergency surgery. I couldn't get another vet to come in time and his heart gave out and he died in my arms. I was devastated. That said, even if the vet could've made it in time, even though I had loved this horse since I was 6 years old and I was 22 at that time, I never would've had colic surgery done on a horse that old. I could not have afforded it even if I had wanted to. Does that make me an irresponsible horse owner? No.

Even now, I chose less than a month ago to have our 10 year old schnauzer put to sleep rather than spend the large amounts of money it would've taken to make him well. This is more than just caring for your animal's health. You didn't leave him to suffer and wait to call the vet, you called right away, did what you could do, but now it is beyond where you can go. There should be no shame in that.

To me, not caring for an animal would've been leaving him standing in a field with the open cut getting infected and not calling the vet because you couldn't afford the first call. You didn't do that. You have tried what you can. At 24, even with the surgery there's probably a chance he won't recover. And I'm not talking about being able to be ridden, but even being without pain or without risking laminitis in the other legs because of the redistribution of the weight.

This is a hard decision and one of the worst ones we face as the owners of animals. But you will not face any recrimination from me. Britches is a horse. As much as you love him, you should not feel guilted into putting yourself and your family in financial hardship to save him. That's just my position!

Barbara

Thanks. He can't be ridden anyways ever. After he turned 19 I had to retire him. He did reining and won over 25000 in jackpot reining events. His legs were so bad at 17, he is on legend because he gets so tired.

I just hurt to see him like this

We are already 3 weeks into this injury. Are you keeping your horse completely stalled and wrapped properly during this entire time of healing with all his other pain killers plus other meds?

What bothers me is that no one did X rays to see exactly what is going on inside and jumped right on into saying surgery is needed. Of course surgery can be indeed warranted but I'd need some X rays to prove that.

Besides having X rays and possibly then surgery, I'd want to know what the outcome would be such as: Would he be crippled and limp the rest of his life or would his mobility be fine? Would he need to be constantly medicated for pain? What would his overall quality of life be?

If I could get those answers then I would have a much better way of knowing what I would or should do next.

Although money is an issue, I don't personally know a lot of people who have a few grand laying around in their checking accounts anymore so don't feel badly about that. I feel if this were me, I would pull out all the stops and call every other equine vet you can and explain what is going on until you get a sympathetic one who will help you make payments and continue this case because you do need more information to guide you. You may spend hours calling around but eventually and hopefully you will get another vet on the case who will make you a payment plan. Maybe you can offer a copy of your own credit check history to prove you have a good credit payment background. Then that way if you have to go down, you will know you went down trying every single thing you could before you pulled the plug.

I'm so sorry about all this. Hugs.

(Please add your location under your Avatar as someone in your area may know of a vet who can help).

We are already 3 weeks into this injury. Are you keeping your horse completely stalled and wrapped properly during this entire time of healing with all his other pain killers plus other meds?
Lunch break I go soak his foot in epsomn salt, give him his food. The vet wanted him out so he could try to walk, so thats the reason for the pain meds. its a 100X50 lot. He has a round bale (covered), sweetfeed 3 times daily, all meds are spread out during the day, all the water he wants, and hosed off since Texas is so hot 3 times a day

What bothers me is that no one did X rays to see exactly what is going on inside and jumped right on into saying surgery is needed. Of course surgery can be indeed warranted but I'd need some X rays to prove that.
I think you wont be able to see tendons with x-rays

Besides having X rays and possibly then surgery, I'd want to know what the outcome would be such as: Would he be crippled and limp the rest of his life or would his mobility be fine? Would he need to be constantly medicated for pain? What would his overall quality of life be? If I could get those answers then I would have a much better way of knowing what I would or should do next.
He said lots more care and meds till it heals, but he won't be able to get a ton of running in

Although money is an issue, I don't personally know a lot of people who have a few grand laying around in their checking accounts anymore so don't feel badly about that. I feel if this were me, I would pull out all the stops and call every other equine vet you can and explain what is going on until you get a sympathetic one who will help you make payments and continue this case because you do need more information to guide you. You may spend hours calling around but eventually and hopefully you will get another vet on the case who will make you a payment plan. Maybe you can offer a copy of your own credit check history to prove you have a good credit payment background. Then that way if you have to go down, you will know you went down trying every single thing you could before you pulled the plug.
I've called everyone in this area. (only 3 vet, and 1 won't do the surgery). Others refuse to do the surgery, and then the others wouldn't out of a 100 mile radius. I was crying to the last guy, but he said he couldn't leave his area because of other emergency calls

I'm so sorry about all this. Hugs.(Please add your location under your Avatar as someone in your area may know of a vet who can help).
I'll do that

Why do you think I feel so bad? 1000 for a horse that will not do anything for the rest of his life, but eat and enjoy. The last 6 months I've had nothing but colics(out of 4 different horses), My losing part of my eye sight out of a horse fall and have things come up out of my control. I'm sorry if after 4000 dollars with horses in 6 months, and another 3000 for me in the same time period I can only spend so much. heck that is ALL of my savings. I give everything here the best home they can get, but there is a time where I can't do everything.

6 months spending almost 10k thats all I can do, thanks for making me feel like a bad horse owner
You're thread asked "what would you do". You asked for opinions. What you did NOT add was any other expenses you'd recently had. There's a HUGE difference between the info you supplied in post #1 vs. post #3 when you added the rest of the info. If you'd included that information when you first posted then my reply may have been different.

You're thread asked "what would you do". You asked for opinions. What you did NOT add was any other expenses you'd recently had. There's a HUGE difference between the info you supplied in post #1 vs. post #3 when you added the rest of the info. If you'd included that information when you first posted then my reply may have been different.
Didn't think it mattered. I don't like talking about my money, and it just matters about here and now. It doesn't matter about whats all happened in the last 6 months because I should be able to pay for him now. You answered my question tho, Thanks .

Barbara
I agree completely with this statement. The only shame would be in refusing to take responsibility for that last, so horribly difficult choice, to end his suffering if that is what you (and only you can know since you know and love the horse and see him every day) decide is best. Sometimes I see people who in the name of love will drag out the life of a suffering animal. To me love is accepting that we must let go and doing what we must to save our animals from unnecessary suffering JMO.

I agree completely with this statement. The only shame would be in refusing to take responsibility for that last, so horribly difficult choice, to end his suffering if that is what you (and only you can know since you know and love the horse and see him every day) decide is best. Sometimes I see people who in the name of love will drag out the life of a suffering animal. To me love is accepting that we must let go and doing what we must to save our animals from unnecessary suffering JMO.
I don't think (from the info supplied) that this is a "suffering" issue. I think it's a financial issue because of the hardship the owner has obviously encountered over the past few months. There's a big difference between raising $1000 from scratch (which is the info given on post 1 and raising $1000 on top of an existing $10,000 (the info in post 3). I think being forced to make the decision to put this horse down may be the only one available to the OP given the huge amount of vet bills they've already paid - given that they've already called every other vet available to try to get help with no resolution. I think that's why the OP is having such a hard time over this...easing suffering would be an easier choice to make than the one they are being faced with. None of us want to have to make that choice based on money. It's sad, and after the extra info the poster supplied I certainly wouldn't judge them knowing everything else that's happened
default_sad.png
. There comes a time when anyone's budget can come to an end.

A vet just called she said she would take payments and be out at the house tonight. The Vet I was crying on the phone with called her and told her.

I'm going to respond with an experience that I had. At the beginning of 2008. hubby and I had enough money saved in case of a medical emergency, for one of us, to last for 9 to 10 months. Well the recession started and he lost his job not because of health reasons but because of a lay off. We also lost a lot of money in the stock market, mute subject here. Hubby did get back to work at less pay, not enough to even start rebuiding the savings at that time. I had my favorite mare go down, vet came out and worked on her for four hours, charged us over a $1000, I don't even remember the total amount right now, but I told her I couldn't afford over that amount. She told me the horse needed surgery immediatly, it couldn't wait, as the mare was bleeding internaly and that if she made it the hosp. that was over two hours away the cost just to begin would be over $2000. Please believe me when I say I would have given anything to save this mare, she was my heart, but I had to let her go, I just didn't have the money. If you are in the same boat now that I was in, I know you have aheavy heart and don't want to do this, but you need to also know you can only do so much and end your beloved horses suffering. I am sorry for you, I've been there and it hurts so much, but you must do what is right for you and your horse.

I have tears in my eyes after reading this thread. It is terrific that you found a vet willing to come and accept payments. I pray you will have a good out come. What ever decisions you are faced with, I think you will be guided to make the best one for you and your horse.

I do want to throw in something a wonderful horse vet advised me to do. He knew me well, knew the kind of care I provide for my animal friends. In fact, he always said if he died and came back as a horse, he wanted to be mine. I have followed his wise council for many years and it has helped me to make some really tough decisions in the past.

"When you purchase a new horse, think about how much money you will be willing to pay for it's medical care if something major happens. It is not based on purchase price, but on that "Heart" quality, that feeling you have for the horse now. Write it down and put it where you can find it when the time comes. As the years go by, change the amount as you feel your situation changes. That way you can make a rational decision, not one based on emotion when the time comes."

He knew I had spent much more than I could afford on surgeries, on a horse that had many issues that were probably genetic to start with. He could see how much I loved the horse and how I felt I was responsible to provide medical care at any cost. After a year of care, the 4 yr. old Arab died anyway, and I was still recovering from the financial strain.

Now, 30 years later, I still write down a number when I get a new horse or pet. As time goes by, the amount changes. Medical cost goes up. Love increases. My $500 --9 yr. old pet mini has the same limit per emergency as my much more expensive show mini. His value is set by love... but limited to what I can rationally afford. If I travel out of town, I leave a letter for my vet, in case of an emergency, stating my financial limits. This may sound cold, but It is so hard for me to not just say "do every thing possible" for my beloved animals.

When I remarried a few years ago, I told my new husband Tom about this practice. His only question was... "What amount is written next to Tom?"

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks y'all!

The vet was a really nice lady, about 35ish. She said that he has a major heart murmor so he more than likely couldn't even go through with the surgery. First thing he did was rub on her shoulder and give kisses, and she just loved him. She said all we can do is hope that the meds will make him want to walk. She unwrapped his foot, and said the canker isn't a good sign either. She said if we can help that and get him walking he'll be fine for now , but it's a BIG if, and she said he can't go through with surgeries so all we can do is hope

She asked if I have bandages and she would use mine so she wouldn't have to charge for it. She walked around the place and had to pet every mini. She said only one thing. Anything I need with the miniatures that I've "rescued" she would do for free, and everything here is so happy. I was crying.

She gave me another bottle of pills(antibotics) , and said 40 a day. I asked for the bill and she charged me 35 dollars for the pills.
default_aktion033.gif
She said I gave enough to other vets that she'll give me a break, and she'll come out here to redo a floating for a mini Saturdat on one that I rescued. The other vet was out 2 months ago and left a major sharp point that she felt

Here is a OLD picture of us two. Hopefully everything will be alright, I wish we were out of the clear tho

1269448011.jpg

Aw, good news
default_smile.png
I'm glad you have hope and a vet you can trust to be honest with you about what your options are,and won't break you financially with her 'help'

I'm so happy you got yet another opinion of a vet who seems to be very tuned into you and very compassionate. After giving your big boy more time on these additional meds, if there is not a possitive change, you will know you have done every thing in your power and you will not have reason to second guess yourself again on this mater.

Latest posts

Back