What would you call this color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayne

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't own him (yet) so I can't post his picture, but I just got a horse on care lease today who is such a beautiful dark chocolate color without one speck of white anywhere. The previous owner said his dam was a palomino and his sire was black. She said that he is registered black, but he sure doesn't look black at all. Have you seen this color before? It seems a shame to call it brown, when it's so much richer than that. Also, there are no black points. Everything, including mane and tail is the same dark chocolate (I could just eat him up, he's so sweet too!).

Jayne

Sounds like a smokey black to me. I had one she was a dark dark chocolate color all over and the ends of her mane would bleach out slightly. Pretty color. Means she is black with the cream gene, so she could throw a buckskin or palomino or if bred to another dilute a creamello or perlino.

I know nothing about colors, but to those that do, could this combination produce a liver chestnut?

Thank you so much for your replies! I look forward to researching more about his pretty coloration.
default_smile.png

Jayne

The "Elvis" link didn't work, but I found him on your website under Show Geldings. Yes, that's the color. Beautiful!

The "Elvis" link didn't work, but I found him on your website under Show Geldings. Yes, that's the color. Beautiful!
Elvis does not appear to me to have Silver. Smokey Black is probably correct. However, it is also important to remember that a horse that is genetically Smokey Black CAN be as black as coal. I have had at least one and seen several.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry about the link, but as Song catcher says he is on the website, don't think I have one with the sun on him, he is chocolate brown. He carries no silver.

Sire; Palomino G.S (Rabbits Fizz) Rabbit Red dun G.G.S Red dun

Dam: Black G.d Liver chestnut G.G.S Black roan (from memory)

Does he look like this? This is all the same horse. He is silver black, no cream (tested)

cruiser3-24-10.jpg

cruiseradt242-6-10.jpg

cruiser612-6-9.jpg

cruiser4-10-9.jpg

cruiserskylar8-3-8.jpg

cruiserdrive132-27-8.jpg

Sorry, I don't own him (yet) so I can't post his picture, but I just got a horse on care lease today who is such a beautiful dark chocolate color without one speck of white anywhere. The previous owner said his dam was a palomino and his sire was black. She said that he is registered black, but he sure doesn't look black at all. Have you seen this color before? It seems a shame to call it brown, when it's so much richer than that. Also, there are no black points. Everything, including mane and tail is the same dark chocolate (I could just eat him up, he's so sweet too!).

Jayne
My two yr old has a buckskin pinto sire and a black dam, this was taken of her in late October of last year:

IMG_20284x6.jpg

This was from last summer as a yearling. She has considerable sun bleaching here:

IMG_1530Izzy4x6-1.jpg

Her hooves are solid black. The core of her tail is solid black. Under the sun bleached red of her mane is not true black but a more "smokey black"

She is registered as a smokey black. She is darker this year...closer to Elvis, posted above
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back