What type of training/teaching manners for yearlings?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Now that my little girl is well on the road to recovery after her accident, she's being the little mare she's been before, attitude when things don't go her way, nipping me in the leg when I walk her in a direction she doesn't want to go and spinning, bucking.

She was halter trained when I got her at 10 months but not much more. Had to teach her to lead better, how to chew something other than grass or hay (took 2 hours) and have started some groundwork with her, not much and not long sessions. About 10 minutes of yielding hind and forequarters, backing up, changing directions on a lunge line as I don't have a round pen. Sometimes she gives me an attitude about getting caught in the pasture so I make her go and change directions which will quickly straighten her out.

What type of training and how much do you do with a yearling, provided they haven't had much training as a foal?

How do you stop the biting at this age?

When and how do you start to teach driving (without a cart, the basics)?

Any websites, books, magazines you can recommend?

I have lifetime experience with big horses, my family bred for generations but I was never involved in the raising of a horse. I use Clinton Anderson's method for my 16.2hh paint.

Thank you in advance
default_smile.png

Sorry for the triple posting, my ipad is playing games with me... could someone delete the other 2?

Use all of the groundwork exercises CA teaches. She also can only bite you if you let her get in your space. Back her everywhere, which can be time consuming, but teach her to be more humble and very good exercise for her..

Leading (training for obstacle type class is great... Stopping, going, side passing) and desensitize to walking over tarps and water obstacles, barking dogs, plastic bags over body.

Going into a wash rack, loading into a trailer, standing tied up to an hour for patience, and getting ears clipped are also things I expect from a yearling.

No driving work at all until late two year old.

Andrea

Thank you for your replies
default_smile.png

She's had her stitches pulled on Friday and the ok from the vet to go back to "normal". She healed really well and I let her zoom in the arena on the lunge line. She was like a little energizer bunny on red bull and after letting some of that our she resumed to being the "nice girl", leading well without attitude, backing up and yielding like we've been working on before the accident. I'm definitely going to work with her more from now on. Need to dig out my foal/yearling CA DVD's.

How much lunging/round pen work can they do at that age? Can they be asked to lope or just trot? How long should the sessions be? What age could you train for hunter/jumper?

We have our first mini. he's a yearling. He had a few problems when we got him. He leads better now. We got him gelded and his biting down too. He hasn't try to bite me, since the last time he got me on my leg. I felt bad about it afterwards, but didn't let know. When he bit me on my leg.. It was like a fast reflex I garb his lip with one hand and my finger nails pitch his lip.. he hasn't try since.

We work him ( mainly kind of playing with him ) couple times a day for about 10 to 15mins each time. We get him to move his hind quarters, Front quarters, back him up... and he's lounging better both way changing directions.

Then after is little work outs, we get him to pick up his feet and clean them... he gets groomed... then he gets to munch on some nice grass for a bit. Everyday we see little improvements. He's a quick learner.

Latest posts

Back