What to use for bugs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kira98

Reaction score
Okay so the other day i was messing with my fur kids it was nice.

I was cleaning feet out and brushing tails etc.... of course i bending down to do feet and I have long hair and

i dont pay attention if it or my head itself touches the horses cause it dont bother me

After I was done getting them all groomed up i felt something on my head itched didnt go away

and then felt it again - i found a small clearish bug with like brown head and stripes

this is like tiny like a flea. I had this happen before the previous time but i just thought maybe i had gotten into

the few weeds/sunflowers that were near by.

okay so does this sound like my kids have like a lice or something????? I dont know which one so im goin to have to

wash each of them but its soooo cold - WHAT DO I DO and what do i wash them with to get rid of this stuff

they are on the large pasture turn out cause its winter ( they dont go out on it during the spring and summer, they stay in the smaller paddock/pasture because i dont want the spring grass to get them sick. I wait til late summer/early fall to put them out in the bigger pasture with grass hay )

Any suggestions would work and if i wash them once like the next time its warm will the bugs stay away or will they always have them !!!!! I dont want my kids to have bugs !!!!!

You should be able to get a powder at the feed store for cattle or chickens or something. Just make sure it is safe for horses. I would powder their tails, necks and mane (also under the mane), and any place the little beggers can go to stay warm.

There is a powder that Tractor Supply carries. All new horses get this treatment, and I usually treat once during the winter and then in the spring when I clip. I can't remember the name but it is made for chickens, cattle, horses, etc. Sprinkle it on and work it into the coat, mane and tail. Works great!

thanks I will check it out today i dont want to bathe them its way to cold so that powder stuff would work great ! then in the spring i can do them again and bath them. thanks !

Here it is called Dri Kill.

It is for chickens and cattle and I guess horses.

We use it on ours about 3 times a year as the old barn had chickens in it and I have 1 guiena(sp) hen and it has worked when you sprinkle it on keep it down close to your horse just so you dont have fine dust in the air.

Cathy

My colt or rather stud shares his stall. Or rather his stall (8x8) is the door way to the chickens room (4x4) where they roost. He has never had lice. I didn't know chickens could give horses lice.

Kira, definitely sounds like lice!! You have described the discusting things to a T!!!! Ok, yes you need to get the lice powder but you will also need to worm ALL your horses with IVERMECTIN right away!!! You will worm every 2 weeks for 3 doses!!!! If your horse has the sucking lice they will be killed by the ivermectin and the powder will take care of the other (biting lice)

I have been told by many that "horse lice" can not live on any other species therefore us humans can not get them!!

Good luck!!!!

Tammy

It sounds like lice and yes chickens can pass lice to your horses. I always thought that all lice was species specific but I just found out in a large animal parasitology course at work. I work in a small animal clinic that yes. Chicken lice can pass to horses. It is the only one that can pass back in forth. The rest are species specific

I always wondered why I could never clear them up and that was my problem!

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Back