What to test for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I wondered if since he's obviously a pinto, do I need to test him for either LWO and/or to see if he's homozygous for tobiano?

Is it correct that since only one parent was a pinto he can't possibly by homozygous, so no need to test, right?

Here's the stallion:

petebody1.jpg

He's a baby in this pic so doesn't look like this now
laugh.gif

His sire is Little Kings Super Supreme who is listed as solid bay. His dam is Southridge Cameo Destiny who is listed as palomino pinto. Pete (the stallion pictured) does not have blue eyes. Do both parents have to be overos to get a LWO positive foal?

And then there's this filly, Erica. Don't have any pics of her but she appears solid but has one icey blue eye. No other markings that I'm aware of. Her sire is Arions Toy Monarchos (solid I believe) and her dam is RSB Diva who also appears solid to me. So, what's up with the blue eye???

Last edited:
I would not bother to test the colt unless someone asks - for example someone with a LWO+ mare might really want to know and then they can ask.

For the filly with the blue eye, I am curious myself (just as I am about Toffee) but unless a buyer really needs to know, then they can ask or wait until the filly is theirs and test.

It would be different if you knew a sire or dam was LWO+, or there was a chance the colt might be homozygous for pinto, then it might add value to the horse.

He is obviously tobiano (and a very sweet one!). Since only one of his parents is pinto, there is no way he could be homozygous.

When talking pintos....it's always wise to test for LWO if you plan on breeding.

And as far as homozygous goes, yes, it would take two pinto parents to produce a homozygous tobiano foal. BUT remember...many genetic pintos are registered as "solids". Many "solids" are actually carrying pinto genes & can throw pinto babies. If you have a solid that has any white on it...anywhwere...it is carrying a pinto gene.

When talking pintos....it's always wise to test for LWO if you plan on breeding.

And as far as homozygous goes, yes, it would take two pinto parents to produce a homozygous tobiano foal. BUT remember...many genetic pintos are registered as "solids". Many "solids" are actually carrying pinto genes & can throw pinto babies. If you have a solid that has any white on it...anywhwere...it is carrying a pinto gene.
Dona,

So, question for you...my filly, Ericca, appears totally solid to me but has one icey blue eye. Is she carrying a pinto gene? Since I know Spirit is LWO negative (had him tested so I'd know) does that mean it's obviously safe to breed her to him? What if I didn't know he was LWO negative? Does that blue eye mean there is a chance, no matter how remote, that she could carry the overo gene?

Thanks, Parmela

Parmela,

Yes, if your filly has one or both blue eyes she is carrying some type of pinto gene. Either splash or LWO. If you were planning on breeding her to a pinto stallion than you may want to have her tested to see which pinto gene she is carrying to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
With any Pinto, even one that looks as obviously Tobiano as this one, it always a good idea to test for LWO as you just cannot tell by looking, no way, no how!!

Dona,

So, question for you...my filly, Ericca, appears totally solid to me but has one icey blue eye. Is she carrying a pinto gene? Since I know Spirit is LWO negative (had him tested so I'd know) does that mean it's obviously safe to breed her to him? What if I didn't know he was LWO negative? Does that blue eye mean there is a chance, no matter how remote, that she could carry the overo gene?

Thanks, Parmela
Yes....blue eyes mean she is carrying either Splash or Frame (LWO). But, since Spirit has tested LWO negative....it is safe to breed him to your filly, regardless of what genes she carries.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back