What show are you going to in June

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo Acres

Reaction score
We are trying to decide which show to attend. We usually go to Des Moines and really enjoy showing there. But now there is this new show this year. Our horses seem to do better at the AMHA/AMHR shows and Cedar Rapids is only AMHR. Des Moines is AMHR/ASPC and the worry I have is it is going to be a pony show.

So I was wondering where you are going? I guess we have to make a decision soon. I really wish AMHR wouldn't have allowed 2 shows so close together on the same weekend.

Hi, I am going to the Cedar Rapids show mainly because it is closer to me but it is also an R only show and is at an excellent facility! I actually went to Kirkwood so I can honestly say that I love the Equine Center. Plus you dont have to worry about if it rains leading back and forth from the arena
default_rolleyes.gif

My friend Jerri and I are going to Cedar Rapids. I am very excited!!!

We'll be attending the Des Moines show. It's a great opportunity to show under at least one AMHR Nationals judge -- Jim Curry -- and show under three other highly respected judges.

I like shows that include Shetland Pony classes because it breaks up the AMHR classes and gives you more time to prep your mini, particularly for driving.

Des Moines is a very nice facility and the show is run very professionally. Any time you have Sandy Grabow as the show manager and Dean Duxbury as the steward, you know things will run smoothly. We had a wonderful time at last week's show in Sioux Falls, and a lot of it had to do with Dean and Jeanne Bragagnini, another outstanding show manager.

If the Cedar Rapids show hadn't been the same weekend, we'd go to it. But when we saw Des Moines had a show, we knew immediately where we were headed.

We'll be going to Des Moines. We have 1 pony that we show so the AMHR/ASPC shows are great!

OOPS my mistake, we're not going to either of those shows. We'll be showing the weekend AFTER that in Des Moines for the Area 6 Nationals.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are going to Des Moines. I really like the facility and their show managment did a really nice job last year. The show is well-run and they have selected good/fair/unbiased judges, including Jim Curry, who will be a judge at AMHR Nationals this year and I think the opportunity to show under a Nationals judge is always good thing.

It is a shame the shows are on the same weekend but it sounds as though both shows are going to have a good turn out. I have heard of a lot of people choosing to come in from other areas to show at Des Moines.

I guess on the positive side having the two shows gives people a chance to decide what judges they do or don't want to show under and the chance to choose who they do or don't want to compete against. I think both facilities are nice.

Corey Hatfield and I will be attending the Des Moines show. We showed there last year and loved the show grounds, also they offer the shetland classes and since we also have shetlands on the show string it just makes more sense for us to show there.

We will be at the All American Miniature Horse Club Show in Cedar Rapids. We are members of this club and besides that it is really close for us - we are only 45 minutes from there! I have been to the facility and it is top notch. This is a 4 judge show, too, so good point opportunities. I just heard from a friend that plans to be here and she is looking for horses to clip so if anyone needs help on Friday before the show she will be available to prepare your horse for classes. Just PM us and we will get you in contact with her. See you in Cedar Rapids.....

We will also be going to Cedar Rapids. The Kirkwood facility is awesome ! Climate controlled building, 10 x 10 stalls with rubber mats, 10 warm water wash racks, and a huge show ring, a seperate warm up arena, an enclosed food vendor area in the building-complete with seating, wireless internet access & cable tv. Everything is under one roof...you never have to go outside if you choose not to.

What more could an exhibitor ask for?

Take a look at the facility, you will be impressed !

Iowa Equestrian Center

We are very excited about showing at this state of the art facility. Once you've been there you will not be disappointed.

Steph

I have the class list from the Des Moines show and I do not see it as a 'Pony' only type show, neither by judges or by class listings. Des Moines show was fun last year, so will be returning there.

We will be going to the Cedar Rapids show. The facilities are AWESOME! Excellent sound system, everything in one barn, CLIMATE CONTROL!!
default_biggrin.png
I've sweat it out at Des Moines before, and will again, but not when I have another option.

And I prefer the AMHR shows. The mixed shows go way too long into the night for me anymore. I don't function well past my usual bedtime
default_wacko.png
I had to scratch my driving horse out one year because our class ended up being well past 10 pm and we had to travel 4 hours to another show the next day.

It is a shame they are on the same weekend. We have so few in this area to go to.

What are the dates? I got the show bill from the Area VI show in Des Moines and we will be going to that one.

i will be helping out at the cedar rapids show. i hope to be meeting a lot of you. i will be the lady with the bright pink cast on my right arm so will be unable to show.

I'm hoping to go to the Cedar Rapids show. The facilities look great!

We were at Des Moines last year and while it's really nice to be in a "park" like that, the stalls we ended up with were dark hidey holes with no light. I don't want to take the chance of spending 2 weekends in those types of stalls so we're planning on Cedar Rapids one weekend and moving to Des Moines for the Area VI show the next.

Shoot we even want to continue on to Winona the weekend after that. Hope to meet a few of you.

I'll be coming back from Tulsa a few days before Cedar Rapids. Anyone passing close enough to the east side of Wisconsin that could pick up a horse (& maybe my grown daughter) to haul to Iowa? I'd help pay for gas. I'd sure be willing to help someone out on finances in order to save myself the wear and tear (hey, 60s is "old"
default_crybaby.gif
) of driving all the way home just to turn around and go back to Iowa!!!

We are going to the Cedar Rapids show. It is practically in our back yard. Both facilities are nice. Not sure if the Des Moines show is using the horse barn or not. If they are, the barn arangements at the CR show are extremely nice. dionne

Hello, We will be going to the Cedar Rapids Show. the facility is awesome. I showed Paint horse for several years at Des Moines, while the facility was nice, Kirkwood beats it hands down. Everything is so spread out at Des Moines to accomadate all types of livestock. Kirkwood was planned specifically for horse shows and is extremely well laid out. The Cedar Rapids show also has a AMHR nationals judge I believe. It is also a 4 judge show. Proximity will probably the key with most people , which ever is the closest. I would encourage those that have show in Des Moines in the past to go the few extra miles and give the Kirkwood facility a try. you know the old saying ,"you can't knock it until you try it!"
default_biggrin.png

I was just out looking at the Kirkwood facilities for the Show and the stalls are great and they have rubber mats. Can't wait to show there
default_laugh.png

Stalls.jpg

Here is the warm up arena, yea, connected to the stall barn and arena so if it rains we won't get wet!! My kids whine if they have to show in the rain
default_sad.png

facility2.jpg

I am thinking maybe the same company built this facility and Winona MN? The layouts sure look real similiar.

Well, I thought we had our minds made up to go to Cedar Rapids. But not totally convinced. I guess I have no choice but to decide this weekend. I really wish these people wouldn't have had the show on the same weekend. One or both of the shows will hurt because of it.

Yes we are disappointed that there are two shows on the same weekend. The AAMHC approched the Kirkwood facility last year in May 2008 and booked this weekend for June 20th and 21st 2009. The New Image Show in Des Moines was the weekend of 28th and 29th in 2008, so we felt we would be ok. For some reason they moved it -----??????
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back