What should be done???????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capall Beag IRL

Reaction score
hi

can any help on this one?
default_please.gif
:

what do you do if you know of a stallion who is producing dwarf minis and albinos minis?

should it be gelded or is that just part of breeding?
default_unsure.png
:

thanks to anyone who takes the time to help

Joanne

Capall Beag Miniatures

If this is a consistant problem even when crossed with many mares then two words...snip, snip. I would geld. That is not quality traits to pass on. If it only happend with one mare then I would say maybe it could be him or it could be her however if you have crossed with several and it has continued to happen then I would be 99.9% sure that it is him and I would not have him as a breeding stallion anymore. Maybe just a youth show gelding or a driving gelding. Just my opinion.

Oh boy, this will open a can, or truckload of worms....... you will get a variety of opinions here.

It is my understanding that a true albino horse is very rare. And... pardon my ignorance as I have never seen one, why would that be a reason for gelding?

The dwarf issue is another thing..... a one time thing does not mean that the stallion should be gelded, as it takes two to make a dwarf. I would not ever do that particular cross again. However, if the stallion has sired multiple dwarfs out of different mares, I could not geld him quick enough. JMO, and I am sure you will get many here. :lol:

mmmmmm this is a tough one, AND IF IT WERE MY STALLION imo only i would GELD! GELD! GELD! especially IF it happened more than once, there are too many great stallions out there to risk the birth of a dwarf more than once to the same stallion, no stallion is THAT good that they have to keep breeding the odd dwarf in between, i know of such a person who does breed and has the odd dWarf from the SAME stallion that no one hears about, its passeed on and forgot about....which i think is really sad:no:

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you do if you know of a stallion who is producing dwarf minis and albinos minis?
Well, I sure hope you are not confused thinking albino and cremello are one of the same because they are not. In fact please read this...............it comes from the Cremello Perlino Educational Site. There are no known albino horses or at least horses that they know fits the criteria for albino. If there were albino horse I do not see a reason to geld. If you are speaking of double dilutes....cremellos, perlinos or smokey creams....NO......I would not geld. Why? If the animal is a quality individual why would you want to geld because it's a certain color? (which I happen to love and so do many others)

ALBINOS

As for stallions producing dwarves......it would depend on the circumstances. This is not just a black and white issue.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
i am going to assume you are talking about a cremello or perlino which is a double dilute gene. A "white" horse with pink skin and blue eyes and actually from strictly a color standpoint they are sought after as it is a great way to ensure you get buckskins and palominos as well as more cremellos, perlinos, smokey creams and smokey blacks ect.

So for that No gelding wouldnt make sense.

For a horse who throws dwarves and from your post I am getting multiple dwarves.. I would geld yes

To the best of my knowledge there are no albino horses. There is good information regarding the double dilutes above.

If the stallion siring numerous dwarfs has been housed on one farm and the mares also on one farm then I would investigate enviornmental factors causing the abnormalities before deciding that the 'dwarf' foals were genetic.

To test I would move the stallion and mares to another farm before any breeding takes place and maintain them there until after all have foaled. Or if that is not possible then keep all on dry lot and test hay for nitrate levels.

Charlotte

thanks for the advice

the vet has told the owner its an albino (but he could be wrong).

it does however have to be kept in from daylight 24/7 and has other medical problems that have to be dealt with by the vet, not sure exactly what because they didnt say and i didnt like to ask.

thanks again

Joanne

Please do a search on this forum for "double dilute", "Perlino" and "cremello". I had an all white filly with blue eyes and pink skin that was very sensitive to light when she was young. As she got older her appy spots sort of slowly came in under the coat (could only see them when she was wet) and I kept her in a shady pasture where she could go in and out as she pleased. Anyway, if you do a search you can compare your friends "albino" with these double dilutes. As for the dwarf...that is a whole other issue!

Good luck.

-Amy

Albino does not exist in horses, there are a number of DDs that seem as white as white but the key is red eyes- Albinos have lack of pigment in the eyes as well as the body and thus have red or "pink" eyes, not blue.

Pseudo albinos have just about any colour eyes- but in horses most often blue!!

Dwarf is a seperate issue, not related at all.

Latest posts

Back