What makes a roadster horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I have always been fascinated (and slightly terrified) of roadster horses. I love how extreme the class is speed-wise and how fancy the horses look moving. I would love to try it sometime, and I was just curious of how you chose your roadster prospects? Also - What is the difference between the gaits?

Oooohhhh roadster is soooooo fun!!!!! It's my favorite, with a good fast horse. Actually, if you want a DRIVE you should try the Modern Shetland roadster ponies. I got to drive SweetOpal's National Grand Champion roadster pony and WOW it was a blast!!!

A good roadster horse should really like trotting fast without breaking into a canter. They really should have that "spark" and no hint of laziness. As for being built, a roadster horse should have a super extended trot and be able to set their heads. It does take a bit of conditioning as it is a demanding class, physically.

There is a jog trot, fairly slow/relaxed, a working trot (road gait), and then the horse will be asked to drive on, to drive at speed. The horse should show THREE DISTINCT trots, not just all fast trotting. That is what the judge really should focus on, besides general performance. Most judges tend to just place the horse that has the best "drive on", even if the horse is always at a fast road gait and never demonstrates a good jog trot, etc.

You also enter the ring the opposite direction as other horses.

It is F-U-N you shouldn't be afraid. Start at the local level, where there are fewer horses. I have to say I was a bit overwhelmed at Nationals with almost 30 horses in the ring, the B horses, it was QUITE an adrenaline rush but I did get a Top Ten with my gelding at the time!

Andrea

A really good road horse when they hit top gear they will feel like they drop a little [flatten out] they also should be extremely responsive to your commands. It is a blast.

I'd like to try my mare as a roadster I just don't have the cart or harness to do it, my harness would work for excersising at home but not in a roadster class at a show. She doesn't have a lot of lift to her stride but she does like to go fast, she can really book it if you ask her to, but will then drop to a loose rein walk if asked as well.

Karen

Wow, it seems like a lot of fun. So your horse has to be very responsive and love to run. I may just have to try it out sometime =)

haha that would be a blast but oh geeze! Who is she driving?

Also, Linda,

Did you get my other PM's about Zeus? I called AMHR and they had no clue what I was talking about
default_rolleyes.gif
:

SHADOW! I told her she better staple her shorts to the seat. I did get your e-mails about Zeus. If you want me to call them I will.

Wow! And Shadow sure does love to run, haha! Courtney seems to love that class from what I have seen!

That would be very nice of you if you could call. Maybe you could explain it better.

There is a huge difference between loving to run, and loving to trot. I have one colt that I have rarely seen trot - he's always in a flat-out run. However, I have a young gelding that rarely runs, but when he's trotting keeps up with the others!! Now THAT is the one that should be in a roadster class....the others - maybe not. Lots of natural extension so that each stride is covering a LOT of ground. No matter how fast they are spinning those legs - if they aren't extending and covering a lot of ground with each stride - they are not a roadster horse.

I believe that Roadster horses are born and then just cultivate their talent. Same with any driving horse but I really believe you cant train a horse for roadster that doesnt want to be.

Lyn

Jean B Shadow IS a road horse. He is a 2x national champion amateur roadster and multi national top ten in roadster also. He does trot quite well and he can also do park and pleasure. Plus his dad is a reserve national grand champion pleasure horse. My daughter will be driving him at nationals in roadster this year. What Jess meant to say was trot not run. Just because a horse can trot well in the pasture does not make it a driving horse. Some horse do great long lining but then fall apart when hooked to a cart.

I didn't say a horse that is good in Pleasure cannot be a Roadster horse. Not sure where you read that in there. What I'm saying -- if a horse cannot extend, even with training, it won't do well in roadster. There are a lot of horses out there that have been trained by EXCELLENT trainers who have correctly ascertained a horse's natural ability, and then enhanced it thru training, to perform in MULTIPLE driving disciplines....and there are even horses out there that have Hall of Fame in Country Pleasure, Pleasure, and Roadster, and maybe even a few in Park (hard to get though with so few going out for it). Not going to apologize for my post--it's a little hard to read between the lines.....to those of us who have been around for a long time (and I HAVE been around for a LONG LONG time ...just ask my grandkids who think I'm ancient
default_yes.gif
: ) to us "Old Timers" - "run" means movement that is not trotting. Looks like a case of symantics.

IMO you have to just have a horse where they will enjoy doing what they do and actually like to be driven. Also like Lyn its like they were born to do it. They have to like trotting, and show at 3 different gaits and show them off well. It's not a contest to see which is the fastest horse, its whether or not that horse can show in 3 different gaits!

My horse he isn't a winner all the time, he places really good in driving but yet he enjoys it. He is in country pleasure, roadster, obstacle driving, and yes roman chariot. Thats a horse that loves to drive and his daddy so far this year for the first time has been doing very well driving at R shows as well.

Actually this particular horse was trained first as a roadster as he probably extends better than anything. I was told by a very well known professional trainer that he should be a country horse. I trained this horse myself with no outside help. This horse could NOT do country if he tried. His head carriage is naturally too high and he has WAY to much motion. Its because he can extend so far that when you collect him up he can do park or pleasure. Also he has never had ANY artificial enhancement. I don't think you read my post or maybe you misinterperted it. Jess was the one who said run and I know she meant trot. As for age, trust me I am as old as dirt. [Or at least most days I feel like it].

Oh kay.

Yes, I meant trot. I know this horse personally and I just used a wrong word.

Latest posts

Back