What makes a club good?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
We are new to a miniature horse club and we want to help make things better and better for everyone. Please share ideas from clubs you have belonged to. How do you raise money? What makes their events fun? Why belong to it (benefits)? What things were bad and how did you help to improve them?

We are new to a miniature horse club and we want to help make things better and better for everyone. Please share ideas from clubs you have belonged to. How do you raise money? What makes their events fun? Why belong to it (benefits)? What things were bad and how did you help to improve them?
Fund raising? MINI HORSE POKER DRIVE!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

You play a game of poker while trail driving! Each "entrant" pays per card hand, different cards exchanged at different "stage stops" throughout the trail, with a winner's hand by the end of the trail. Have folks donate prizes for winning hands and a FUN DAY to be had by all!
default_aktion033.gif

It's much more entailed than that...but that's the general idea. Back when I worked at the Police Department, we did this every year with the local "Biker Folks" and raised BOOCOO BUCs for the community youth activities for the year. Lots of work to pull an event like this together...but SO MUCH FUN as the end result!
default_aktion033.gif
And with doing so with MINI HORSES (and/or ponies) instead of IRON HORSES a/k/a "Harley's"...the WHOLE FAMILY, young and old, would have an awesome time of it!
default_saludando.gif

default_wink.png
Just a thought...
default_unsure.png

EDITED TO ADD: You could also open entrants up to "Riders", generating a much broader scale of participants...and potentially bringing in greater funding results. You could also take in "Sponsors" of the event, etc. The possibilities are pretty wide...
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, it is the members that make a great club. My favorite in this area is the NWMHC, the Northwest Miniature Horse Club.

I found their literature at a local library, and joined the club that year. I've been a member now for 12 years, I do believe. At first, I just asked questions and went to the shows to watch, but now I do my best to try and give something back although my time is limited.

I sponsor classes, donate to auctions and raffles, and most of all, try to support the shows by going to them, and offer help to others that might need advice, and make them feel welcome.

Our club also has a gelding incentive fund, we also host a great schooling clinic and show.

The Youth fund is another nice part of our club.

www.nwmhc.com to get an idea of the event schedule, and layout.
default_smile.png

Liz

The people involved are what makes a club great.

What you want is a club that is innovative and looks for ways to encourage participation on all levels from all its members; encourages the sharing of ideas and opinions; holds events that the majority of the members enjoy (shows, clinics, dinners, etc.); emphasizes the mentoring of new members (both with the sharing of information and ideas); with that you know you are doing something worthwhile in the community.

What is foremost in making a club divisive and NOT fun is when a small group of members believe their ideas and opinions are more valuable than other's in the group.

But the most important thing is remembering why the club was formed in the first place -- to get together a group of people who all share a real enjoyment of Miniature horse ownership.

The Northeast Miniature Horse Club not only hosts a series of shows and clinics -- we also actively fund-raise on behalf of mini equine rescue organizations and make important contributions to the equine community. Last year we gave a large contribution to Chances for their wonderful work, made a sizeable donation to Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation for laminitis research (www.grayson-jockeyclub.org) and have actively worked in our communities to purchase abused and neglected miniature horses in our area and place them in new, loving homes.

I invite you to visit our website at Northeast Miniature Horse Club

What is foremost in making a club divisive and NOT fun is when a small group of members believe their ideas and opinions are more valuable than other's in the group.
Absolutely. There was a group here years ago who nearly destroyed a QH club. They were finally voted out, the club flourished and found a hard working group of volunteers who have kept it alive and fun for many years. So important that the club's interests be put ahead of individual wants.

Like any kind of organization, good fiscal management. Most start out with a small amount of money.

On the fun side, shows, clinics, fun driving days.......

Jan

I agree 1000% that it is the people.

I like a club where the members are friends. And look for opportunities to get together.

The club I used to be involved with in Louisiana had meetings at each others farm. We had clinics at those meetings. Good food and conversation. We also did many events together such as parades, fairs and educational events. They started doing fun shows to get everyone involved and learning about the showing process whether they had a knock out horse or just a backyard pet.

I haven't yet found a club the same here in Texas. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your input. Any ideas for unique awards at the shows, unusual or especially good clinics or "fun events"?
default_laugh.png

One year I gave out nice nylon halters for first place winners, and leather ones for Champions. They were very popular, and I still see some of those halters on folks horses.

Glass candy jars were a nice prize. Gift Certificates to mini tack places would come in handy.

Gas cards would be a nice touch - for the stations in the area. Most folks gas up before heading home.

I'm with everyone else! The members make the club. There are plenty of people that will come and show. But its the members that volunteer that make the show great. You need members to volunteer to help save money (not having to pay gate holders, ribbon people, food, etc).

Advertising your club helps. Just doing local parades, information booths, etc. get people knowledgable about your club. Then more people want to join.

We do silent auction tables at our shows and raffles at dinners. Brings in a few hundred dollars and everything is donated.

What I think makes a club great is its willingness to make positive changes towards improvement. The old philosophy "don't fix it if it isn't broken" may keep a good club good, but it will never be better. The best clubs have members who are passionate about their hobby and are motivated to make it the best club possible. Personally I'd rather be surrounded by a group of people with a lot of ideas that might fail or might be great, than a group of people who are just content.

As Lori said, we have a great club www.mhco.ca and I think one of the most important things is that we offer a wide diversity of activities to our members. Not every Mini owner has the same goals so we try to cover everything from members who just advertise on the web, to clinics (hands on and lecture types), shows and social activities (with and without horses).

Keep trying different types of things and see what is popular amongst your members.

And Good Luck!

Variety and enthusiasm!!!!!

A club is made up of many different members, each with their own individual reason for being a member. A club should offer a variety of activities and events for its members.

For instance, club shows could offer classes for different levels of exhibitors from Beginners to Experienced such as Mentored classes, Junior/Youth/Adult classes and Open classes as well as different types of classes such as Costume, Halter, Performance and even fun & unique classes (e.g. Egg & Spoon, Barrel racing, relay races). As some club members may be more advanced in their showing level, a club could try to be involved in a Sanctioned show and encourage their members to participate to further their showing skills.

Special non-show days like "Fun Days" could be set up for members to bring their horses (or just themselves) and have games for horse and/or humans so that all members could participate whether they had a horse there or not.

Educational events such as clinics could be offered that cover a variety of topics (feeding, grooming, farrier, showing, etc) and topics could cover items of interest to the majority of Mini owners (e.g. all members FEED their horses so feeding would be a good generic topic). Clinics can be either hands on or classroom style or combine the two or have different types of clinics at different times of the year (e.g. hands on clinics such as Clipping/Grooming during good weather times or pre-show season when members are able to bring their horses or are preparing for the show season, classroom sessions such as Conformation during winter seasons or off-show season when more members have time).

General Social Get togethers are perfect for any member that may not show or be active with their horse in events etc but still want to meet other members and talk "Mini". Socials also offer a chance for all ages of member to attend (e.g. younger children who do not want to sit through a classroom lecture or perhaps retired members whose still want to be involved but cannot as much due to failing health). These types of events are also an excellent opportunity for members who are very active with their horses in club events; often they don't have the time at shows etc to socialize freely and without distraction.

And perhaps most importantly, the club must foster enthusiasm! The members and their representatives who are currently in the club (Executive Members, Directors, Clinicians, Event organizers, etc) must portray the club in a positive and enthusiastic light. All events put on by the club should be put on in an engerized way to hopefully have the members come away feeling that it was worth their while to attend. To ensure members feel their club is giving them what they want, feedback should be encouraged. This can be in the form of casual conversations between the club organizers and the other members or even as formal questionaires at the end of events asking what the members liked, disliked and suggestions of what they want to see happen in their club. Make every member feel they are important and that their opinion matters and they will be more apt to help the club grow with ideas.

The more members that enjoy the club and have fun, the more members that will spread the news of their club to other Mini owners and the more the club will grow in a healthy and happy direction!

An excellent club that does all of the above is the Miniature Horse Club of Ontario www.mhco.ca

Latest posts

Back