What kind of weeds are these?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raine Ranch Minis

Reaction score
Please help me find out what kind of weeds these are. And how to kill them without killing all my grass.

v v v This one here is very painful. It has tiny thorns that are as sharp as needles!

kimmp011.jpg

kimmp010.jpg

kimmp009.jpg

I just want to kill this one off.

kimmp012.jpg

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the time a herbicide commonly known as 2-4-D will kill most weeds and leave the grass. I don't know what specific weed this is, but there are a few that you actually have to go through and spot spray with stronger stuff. If you take your photos to the local crop protection service (co-op, sometimes the feed mill, etc.) they can help you identify it and kill it.

I did a short search for weed identification and came up with this site: http://www.ppws.vt.edu/weedindex.htm Maybe that or something similar can help you.

Myrna

The first few pictures are nightshade...somewhat poisonous to horses, but most won't touch it.

Bottom picture looks like a regular old careless weed. That's what we call them here anyway.

2,4-D should kill both and won't kill the grass.

I think your first one is:

Carolina Horsenettle (Solanum carolinense) is not a true nettle, but a member of the Solanaceae, or nightshade family. It is a perennial herbaceous plant, native to southeastern United States that has spread widely throughout North America. This plant has hard spines along the stems that can penetrate the skin and break off, causing much pain.

Leaves are alternate, elliptic-oblong to oval, and each is irregularly lobed or coarsely toothed. Both surfaces are covered with fine hairs. The flowers have five petals and are usually white or purple with yellow centers, though there is a blue variant that resembles the tomato flower. The fruits also resemble tomatoes. The immature fruit is dark green with light green stripes, turning yellow and wrinkled as it matures. Each fruit contains around 60 seeds. It flowers throughout the summer, from April to October.

Most parts of the plant are poisonous to varying degrees due to the presence of solanine which is a toxic alkaloid and one of the plant's natural defenses,[1] but while ingestion of the unripe fruit causes abdominal pain and may potentially cause circulatory and respiratory depression, the mature fruit is reputedly non-poisonous or less poisonous.

These plants can be found growing in pastures, roadsides, railroad margins, and in disturbed areas and waste ground. They grow to about 1 m tall, but are typically shorter, existing as subshrubs. They prefer sandy or loamy soils.

WeedCarolina horsenettle is considered a noxious weed in several US states. It can spread vegetatively by underground rhizomes as well as by seed. It is resistant to many herbicides; in fact, herbicide use often selects for horsenettle by removing competing weeds. It is an especially despised weed by gardeners who hand-weed, as the spines tend to penetrate the skin and then break off when the plant is grasped. The deep root also makes it difficult to remove.

Beneficial weedThis plant is also seen as a beneficial weed: the ripe fruit of this plant contains relatively little solanine, and is cooked by herb doctors to use as a sedative or antispasmodic. The plant also provides ground cover for beneficial predatory beetles, making it potentially beneficial in gardens.

and I think your second one is:

Spiny amaranth (Amaranthus spinosus), also known as spiny pigweed, is very common throughout Florida (Figure 1). This summer annual species is often observed in pastures, particularly in bareground areas (near feeding pens and water troughs). This weed seems to thrive in well-worn, highly compacted areas where stockings rates are high and desirable grasses are few. If left unchecked, spiny amaranth can eventually take over entire pastures

Spiny amaranth is particularly troublesome because sharp spines proliferate on the stem. This greatly deters grazing around the plant because animals avoid the sharp spines. Also, this weed is an abundant seed producer with well over 100,000 seeds per plant produced each year. The seeds germinate throughout the warm summer months and each rainfall event results in another flush of spiny amaranth plants.

Since spiny amaranth seed germinates so frequently, any control measure will generally only last a few weeks before a new flush of seedlings overtakes the area once again. Therefore, it is important to determine if herbicides that provide soil residual activity can be used to provide long-term control of spiny amaranth. Conversely, if residual control cannot be obtained, then low-cost options must be found so that multiple applications can be made each season

Not 100%, but sure looks like them..good luck
default_smile.png

Jenny

The first few pictures are nightshade...somewhat poisonous to horses, but most won't touch it.
I would be carefull about nightshade, I almost lost a mare to it and cost me hundreds in vet bills. On a simular post not to long ago, i posted a photo of my mare after she was on the road to recovery and the photo is heatbreaking to see her in that condition!

So again be carefull and kill it to ba on the safe side!

Latest posts

Back