What kind of tool should I use?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
This forum is so great. Such a range of skills and experience here.
yes.gif

I want to cut some PVC pipe length-wise so I can cover the cords for my bucket heaters (yearling filly is still going thru that oral thing). I want to use as small of a diameter pipe as I can, so it's going to end up being smaller than the male end; hence the cutting. What kind of tool should I use to make that kind of cut in the pipe? Power tools are preferred, because then hubby is more likely to help.
biggrin.gif

You can use a jigsaw or a skillsaw with a blade made for cutting plastic.

Christy

Cutting lengthwise is going to be harder than you might think-unless the piece of PVC is not very long at all! Are you talking about the rigid white stuff, or the black, somewhat flexible stuff?(It is more likely to be 'doable' with the black stuff, but ISN'T easy, believe me(been there, tried that...not easy!)Are you planning to slip the cord into the "slot"created by the cut? If so, you will likely need to make TWO cuts(if it's the rigid white kind), to make a wide enough slot-and then, you have to do something to keep the cord inside the PVC, what with the slot there. Keeping the cut(s) straight is apt to be difficult, for one thing-power tools or not. I would highly recommend just getting PVC large enough to slip the 'male' end through, if at ALL possible...is there a specific reason why you can't do this?

if hubby is gonna do it I would think you could run it down a table saw. He can set it to cut just the depth you want. another option would be to change the plug at the one end that tread it thru the pipe then reattach the plug

Just wanted to say DON'T use a regular chainsaw. You can, and it will work (and I did), but is NOT good for the chainsaw. Lets just leave it at that.
wacko.gif

Thanks all. Hubby and I are going to go with the black flexible poly stuff, and probably with a diameter wide enough to just slide the plug through. The chainsaw hadn't crossed my mind, but I bet Darrin thought about it. He loves his saw.

I wanted to use a small diameter just for aesthetics
rolleyes.gif
(have no clue how to spell that one). At this point though, it's like many of my other big plans. Simplicity wins out.

We're down into the low 20s at night now. The big horses have their binkies on and keep gazing south; the shetlands are in their element.

If you use the flexible warer line pipe (1/2 or 3/4") you can slit that with a knife and then twist it over the cord. You won't get a staight cut, but it wil curl together nicely.

I don't use tools but... they actually MAKE a cutter for PVC pipe. I saw one once, remindes me of a rosebush pruner.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back