What kind of Person could do this !!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's extremely nasty.

But we have far too many people on the planet. In order to feed all these people (cheaply) there are horrors that go on. Like the article said, unless you're willing to become vegan, you're part of this horror. If all livestock were raised like "Babe" on a farm, free-range and happy, we wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of meat that human beings (the ultimate carnivore and destroyer of the planet) require. Especially in the U.S. and Canada. The earth is trying to cull our numbers (flu epidemics, ebola, AIDS, etc.), but we are always one step ahead. One day...a super virus will finally cull our very excessive numbers. It's in development by mother Earth as I type. Sorry to be so glum, but it's a fact. We are well overdue for a big "cleanup" of our numbers.

That's extremely nasty.
But we have far too many people on the planet. In order to feed all these people (cheaply) there are horrors that go on. Like the article said, unless you're willing to become vegan, you're part of this horror. If all livestock were raised like "Babe" on a farm, free-range and happy, we wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of meat that human beings (the ultimate carnivore and destroyer of the planet) require. Especially in the U.S. and Canada. The earth is trying to cull our numbers (flu epidemics, ebola, AIDS, etc.), but we are always one step ahead. One day...a super virus will finally cull our very excessive numbers. It's in development by mother Earth as I type. Sorry to be so glum, but it's a fact. We are well overdue for a big "cleanup" of our numbers.
Oh Matt I agree 100% with everything you said and if anyone thinks this kind of life is exclusive to chickens they're sadly mistaken. We're here because we evolved to be an apex predator - PERIOD - but if we don't ship up and shape up we're going to destroy everything this incredible blue globe has taken 460 billion years to get to this point. It saddens me...my kids, my friends kids, their kids, their kids etc will all have the same dreams we have of living the life that we live...I wonder what we're leaving them?!

and P.S. I don't eat meat
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
thats extremely sad
default_no.gif

However, not all that uncommon, animals at slaughter houses go through the same thing everyday. They are beaten and abused and then ruthlessly killed. The next time I next eggs, I will think twice, but probably wont eliminate them from my diet it just wouldn't make sense. Unfortunately, its way things must be for to feed everyone in the US and in the world.

I didnt even have a look , because I know it will upset me for a long time ....Switzerland is small, and we dont have a lot of people to feed , but I am happy to report that they are very humane to their animals, chickens are free range, Bio. pigs are also living nicely, we dont have the big wherehouse tpye plants for raising animals for slaughter, just individual farmers, that raise the animals . There is no was the US can operate like that, but they could do a lot of things to improve the conditions of the animals. Its very sad, I believe there are places in this world that are far worse. Its very sad.

and P.S. I don't eat meat
Ahhh but you eat slaughtered animals in other things beside just meat. For example, if you eat marshmallows or something as seemingly innocent as jello, you are eating a by product of slaughtering. Gelatin is a main ingredient of both, read up and see what it is made of.
default_biggrin.png
My daughter has sworn off rice krispy treats forever.
default_rolleyes.gif

as long as humans want meat then it will be necessary to slaughter animals. I just don't see why it cannot be humane slaughter, always, for all species.

Horse slaughter can be not so nice, worse in some plants than others. Hogs.....I shudder whenever I think of the local plant here sending a batch into the scalding tank while still alive--yeah, they soon fixed the problem, but still it happened to a number of hogs, and that is just WRONG. Death should be as quick and as painless as possible, for all slaughter animals.

Death should be as quick and as painless as possible, for all slaughter animals.
Oh minimor...my eyes are welling thinking of those hogs. What is wrong with some people !!! HOW can anyone ever hurt an animal...just just hurt...gosh words can't even come to mind to describe what they must have gone through
default_crybaby.gif

Might want to google "kosher" I won't allow any kosher products in my house. Those poor animals killed kosher have their throats slashed and bleed to death...it's in NO WAY humane.

I'm posting this video because this kind of treatment of animals HORRIFIES me. But PLEASE be aware this video is vey graphic. It was really hard for me to watch it..but that was nothing compared to what those innocent animals had to endure. If this doesn't show (because it needs age verification) then youtube "kosher slaughterhouses". It's abhorrant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJwdJ_SR6g...PL&index=20

as long as humans want meat then it will be necessary to slaughter animals. I just don't see why it cannot be humane slaughter, always, for all species.
This is how I've always felt about the issue too. When I was younger and more idealistic, I tried very hard to live a fully vegan life for three years. I was pretty much sustaining myself with vitamins. Society makes it almost impossible to avoid all animal by-products--they're not just in food--but like Minimor I don't understand why we can't modernize (and humanize) the process.

Actually, bleeding out IS a humane way to kill. I avoid Kosher food as well.
Appreciate your opinion but respectfully beg to differ with mine. Kosher prevents anything happening to the animals prior to bleed out so the animals are not rendered insensible to pain - I can't figure out how being squeezed into a machine, turned upside down, in a room filled with the smell of death, having your throat cut from ear to ear, having it then ripped out, having the machine tip you back upright and throw you out of it as you stagger in absolute panic gasping for your last breath....sorry - can't figure for the life of me how that can be humane. Kosher animals go through this without the benefit of having their pain centers destroyed first. The whole point of kosher is that the animal hasn't been "touched" prior to it being torchered.

[SIZE=10pt]Wikipedea[/SIZE]

Slaughter of animals in meat industry

Exsanguination is used as a method of slaughter where, before the incision is made, the animal, depending on species, is rendered insensible to pain by various methods, including captive bolt, electricity or chemical. If used alone as a method of slaughter, without prior sedation, stunning or anesthetic, this method of slaughter causes a high degree of anxiety and should not be used alone.[1] The captive bolt is placed against the skull of the animal, and penetrates to cause tissue destruction in the brain incapacitating the animal so that the procedure may take place. Electricity is used mostly in porcine and chemical in poultry.

While the animal is incapacitated, a knife is fully inserted through the skin just behind the point of the jaw and below the neck bones. From this position, the knife is drawn forward severing the jugular vein, carotid artery, and trachea. Properly performed, blood should flow freely with death occurring within a few minutes.

Kosher animals are killed without the benefit of "unawareness" and are fully awake and alert as they die.

Glad you avoid kosher too
default_biggrin.png
default_smile.png

sorry double post
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously considering going off meat...Don't know if it's possible....

If you watch closely, before the chicks are put into the shute going to the grinder the person "swings" them around a couple of times. This breaks their necks "most" ot the time and is very quick.

Robin

Sadly, I do eat meat and I do understand that slaughter is necessary, but being an animal lover I can't understand why we can't be more humane on how we do it. Unfortuniately I know it sadly comes down to money at the animals expense.

I just don't know how the people do what they do to these animals and then sleep at night. After I see any type of abuse through slaughter or just plain unacceptable abuse it truly depresses me for days on end. I guess we are all so different but I know that all animals have a life too and they feel pain and it's just so heartbreaking to me to see them suffer this way.

When I saw those peeps being thrown, flipped and falling from one level to the other and trying to huddle together because they were so scared it just broke my heart. They are just BABIES
default_no.gif

Well, not trying to start a controversy here just sadly releasing some stress.

Well, not trying to start a controversy here just sadly releasing some stress.
I applaud you for starting a controversy...that's the only way people's eyes are opened to what goes on.

Latest posts

Back