What kind of harness do you like??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgranch

Reaction score
I have three leather harnesses and one betathane. I don't like the upkeep on the leather and worry about it in rain or mud. I love my beta because it always looks shiny and is easy to clean. I have never had a biothane one. What do you like and why?? I'm thinking of selling all leather ones and getting beta or bio!!

Thanks

Gina

For just playing around, I do prefer my biothane and betathane harnesses (I have three). My show harnesses are a patent leather one and then my favorite, a Lutke which is synthetic and gorgeous
default_yes.gif

For my playing around with harnesses (not the Lutke!), I have cleaned them by throwing them in the top shelf of my dishwasher
default_biggrin.png

Thanks Jill!! Do you have any preference between bio or beta?? What are the main differences?? I'm thinking of getting a bio one but don't know much about them.

Gina

I like the look of the biothane better. It looks pretty much like patent leather. But, I like the feel of the betathane better. It feels a lot like real leather.

Thanks you guys!! It is so nice to be able to talk with everyone before making decisions on horse things!! I really appreciate your help!!

Gina

I have 2 amish made Beta-thane harness' and I love them, I usually hose them off and let the sun dry them , I like the suggestion to put in the top of dishwasher , that would really clean them, they are easy and I don't fear them getting rotten or stiff and they stay lovely, I hightly reccomend them for pleasure driving, I do not show, thanks Renee

I have all three. Leather is always nice, but like you, I don't like the upkeep
default_smile.png

I love my betathane ones!

I do not like my biothane one. I don't currently use it, and won't ever buy another. I only bought it because I got it for a good price (used) from the person I bought a mini from (it was his harness) so it worked until I got him a better (beta!) one... but I did use it for years.

Jessi

I love my leather harnesses! Yep a little more work, but IMO a better harness. Plus I think it feels better on the horse and stretches where it needs to.

Plus - in an emergency leather will break before a neck or leg. I usually sit in front of the TV with my leather cleaner and a pile of newspapers in my lap and rub.
default_rolleyes.gif
You just can't beat the smell of good leather.

leather all the way. Much safer and if you keep up with it it isn't that hard to maintain...

Courtney

I love my beathane harness, I have a working and a show harness. I have no problems with leather, its just really hard to keep it looking new, and I do not like the biothane harness, looks to much like plastic.

Just my opinion, but I don't know that the suggestion that leather harnesses for a mini are safer is really correct. I don't think my well made patent leather show harness would break in an emergency any more than my sythetic ones would. I think in order to get a good leather harness off a mini in an emergency, you'd need a knife just like with a betathane or biothane one.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the comfort of the horse I'd say good quality leather or a GOOD betathane harness. Biothane is far too "ribbon-y" and plastic looking for me by itself (it looks nice in small pieces as imitation patent) and most of the cheap betathane harnesses out there are very stiff and thick. I've found the best of both worlds is a leather-lined betathane harness! I've got a Camptown and the inside is soft and cushiony for the horse but sealed against fly spray and water damage and the whole thing can be dumped in a bucket of Murphy's Oil Soap and scrubbed clean then left to dry. I love it!
default_aktion033.gif

Bad quality leather can be a far worse safety hazard that synthetic materials by breaking right when you were counting on it. No matter what material I buy, I expect it to be good quality and will plan to spend the time necessary to go over it every few drives and make sure all the stitching is sound, there are no strained or weak places, no rough spots developing that could rub my horse, and no other sorts of safety hazards. I might as well be cleaning it at the same time!
default_yes.gif

The wise driver spends every bit as much time familiarizing herself with the daily changes in her harness as she does with her horse or her own body. The health of all three depends on such constant vigilance.

Leia

P.S.- Be sure you go through the archives and search for similar topics, I know there have been some good discussions on this in the past.
default_smile.png

I am a fan of GOOD quality leather. I have all sorts of harness... biothane (terribly uncomfortable to the horse, never really "breaks in" and warps all weird if it gets hot, can be hard to buckle if the holes aren't great and the holes also will never "break in" to make it easier); betathane is okay I like it a lot better than the biothane but it is weird and "stretchy" and some things will twist around like having rubber bands so they are dreadful for checks and lines; leather is the best but takes the most care to keep it nice and you really do have to invest in good quality.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back