What is your horse rotation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I feel like I am constantly moving and rotating horses. So I need help

I have a mare and 2 wk old foal

A new mare due to foal in 2 wks

A mare due is Sept

1 stallion.

Who can I put togther and when?

Right now the mare and foal come in at night and have a separate pen in the daytime.

New mare comes in a night and she is in her own area during the day,

The mare due in Spet and the stallion stay outside and in thier own section.

Eventually I want the 2 mares who have foals together. Then eventually want them with the stallion to be rebred. And am a little worried of the stallion breeding the new mare. They do share a fenceline right now.

But when is the right time?

Do you feel you are always doing the horsey shuffle???

I am laughing to myself. I feel I am always doing the same thing. I am afraid to keep any of my older weanlings or yearlings with any of my show horses, as they bite and pull tails and manes. Stallions can't be with anyone unless you are field breeding. There is that mare(s) that won't let anyone eat or in the shed out of the weather. So I am always moving them around so everyone gets out and exercised.

I had to laugh too, because we are always moving portable panels and round pen panels and then just bought a run-in shed to have another area to separate horses! It does help to have separate areas and then you spend less time moving the horses themselves! We keep our stallion in his own own run off his stall that we designed that way when we built the barn. Now we have his son (uncut for now) in a run next to him. We will be moving the big horse soon into the area with the new run-in shed and then will have a nice separate area and foaling stall for the mare due next month. Buying that extra shelter seems to have helped us greatly ... for now anyway.

Right now everyone is stalled at night, but as soon as the mud season ends (also known as spring), everyone will stay out at night.

I always keep the stallion seperate from the mares, he has his own paddock with run-in shed, but is next to the mares paddock so he can always see them and interact thru the fence.

Mares with newborn foals are kept in a seperate paddock with shelter away from all other horses until the foal is a week old, sometimes 2 weeks old, then they go back in the main paddock with the other mares who are either pregnant, open or have foals. If I have two mares that foaled close together I alternate turn-out until the foals are a few days old, then they share the paddock.

This year is different because I also have a Welsh pony mare, so she had to go into her own paddock, I don't trust her with the mini foals, and she was getting too bossy/aggressive with the Minis mares since I lost my bossier mini mare in February, so it's better all around to keep her seperate. Her paddock was my stallion paddock, so just had to move two around this spring.

I would think your new pregnant mare and mare with young foal could be turned out together, if they are getting along thru the fence. I wouldn't move them in with the stallion until after their foal heats, or the earliest you want them bred, and only if you know the stallion will be okay with a foal that isn't his (not all stallions are). It always takes some shuffling around to figure things out, and then if you have pairs that don't get along it's even more fun!
default_rolleyes.gif

I thought by posting this everyone would think I was nuts!! But it is so natural I didnt realize it until this morning. You know 5am , cold, raining and the little filly didnt want to leave her stall. I thought "oh man am I the only one?" Not to mention my Border Collie who helps herd them along didnt do her job. The filly turned around and started to chase the border collie!!!

My problem is I have 3 fenced section. But they all touch one another. So that is kind of a pain. But I only have 1 stallion so fenceline sharing isnt a big deal.

I think once the new mare foals, about two wks later I will put her in with the mare that already foaled. For the most part everyone is nice. I have a boss mare but she isnt mean.

Well, I don't have the breeding stock rotation problem; but rotation's still a problem sometimes LOL!
default_laugh.png
My biggest problem is I have two B geldings (7 year olds) that are very nice horses to work with and get along well with my other horses in general (two other B's and a 32.5 A). But I can't seem to put any other A's in with these two as they get pretty savage with them.
default_new_shocked.gif
They were the "last guys in" before this problem; so it's probably a pecking order thing; but too dangerous for the little A's. The one is doing fine with a yearling A colt and the 3 other horses who were there before him. But I wouldn't trust putting the other B in with them also. It seems like the two of them like to gang up on the little guys.
default_no.gif
(I call it 'musical horses' or 'musical pasture/paddocks)!
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back