What is your favorite color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chestnut with the darker shaded mane and tail. They just shine in the sun like a new penny.

Snowcap appaloosa. Make is sorrel with four stockings and a bold blaze. Tail black and mane flaxen...or or tail flaxen and main dark. Might as well have an arabian type head as long as I am making a dream horse.
default_wink.png

Without a doubt - grulla

My heart horse in my avatar - MissB is a true genetic grulla

after that..........

chestnut with chrome and chestnut pinto

I don't think I can Choose! I like them all
default_smile.png

all of the Dun Factored Shades for Sure, Classic Champagnes and Blue Roans

Silver Dapples, Bays and Sorrels with Chrome. Oh and Palominos, Buckskins etc.

and Everything Looks Good with Pinto Spots ;-)

Mandy2010.jpg2008 Awesome Champion 700w - Copy.jpg2011 - Escanaba Chip with Dawson and Joey (2).jpgOk, so never a BAD color but.... I do prefer loud black pintos.
default_thumbup.gif

That said, I have other colors and they are all very GOOD (winning) horses.

However the one that I had the most trouble accepting his color was my new one .....until this. Even in his win pictures at Nationals he never looked this good!JoeyMagic.jpg

Grullo for me, too! This is our grullo stallion, Dusty Lane Vegas Bet A Buck. He has a sweet personality to boot!

photo5b.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

I'll play!!

I wanted PINTO - so worked on finding homozygous with the right disposition/conformation for what I wanted. Wasn't thrilled at first with the homozygous black - but since a stallion - others were.

First love, tough, is the silver and all the various shades they come in (and it turns out that that is a great combo with the black above!). When can get them with tobiano spots, too, well that's what I drool over. I will always notice that silver color first - then go back and look at conformation, form to function and personality. Everyone comments on my lovely pair of palomino mares - but they aren't. They are homozygous silvers with heterozygous black that fade in the sun, LOL.

Last year I had two fillies and this year I have two fillies - of the 4, one will be a single gened tobi and single gened silver. The other 3, I'm excited to get them color tested and see who is homozygous silver and tobiano! The yearling filly with a trainer just won the Area V Foundation Futurity (Shetland - may hardship AMHR later ?)... At this time, I don't know how many entries were in the class, though (very exciting for me - she is from MY breeding program out of ponies I still lovingly drool over every day - and this is our first year doing breed shows and Futurity entries!).

But you look thru my pastures and you'll see an abundance of bays - most with enough white to qualify as minimal pintos. And in the past 9 months, I've acquired 2 bay tobiano mares and 1 bay tobiano stud colt sired by Grahams Little King Lee. I forsee some silver bay tobianos in the future, LOL.

And I own 3 chestnut tobianos - with LOTS of white and 2 solids with creme genes (gelding looks to be silver smokey black - I swear he's our "pink" boy - and the perlino filly, if bred will be guanteed to produce palomino or bucksin Tobianos).

Surprisingly, I have very few blue eyes. The two silver fillies born with blue eyes have darkened up to ??. They may still be blue, but unless you are in their faces looking, you can't tell. The "pink" boy's remaining good eye has changed to a gold flecked amber color - kinda cool! Sadly, he punctured his left eye last spring and while he still has it and it's "brite/lite blue", it's reduced in size and he can't see out of it any longer (he did for several months)...
default_sad.png

I love the lite eyelashes of the silvers - especially when they are foals and their coats are sooo dark! I ahve had problems with the eye lashes on some of our silvers - and we stitched the eyelid partially open to keep the upper lashes from curling down into the eye(s) of the affected foals - though not the genetic problems with eyesight (found in RMPH).

I can't stand greys of any breed and most of my freinds know this, so some were flabbergasted when I recently "oo'd and aa'd" over one (still colored with very distinct dapples and a solid black mane and tail). BUT the horse (full size - working bloodlines arab) was just O-LA-LA put together and ... Part of the reason I don't like greys has nothing to do with their actual coloring - but with the attendant "problems" with Melanoma... As a youngster getting my first lessons, I watched a grey horse at the lesson stable "fade away" before being euthanized. It was HARD and I swore I'd never have anything to do with greys (and for the most part haven't - other than a mare that was given to me whom I never could bring myself to breed regardless of bloodlines).

*added* - Most of our foals the last 3 yrs have been minimal white tobianos - so don't have to worry about the "green" - wether pasture pets or show ponies, LOL. I would like to have a much more white silver pinto like the one that TargetsMom showed in her post... We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite solid color would have to be dunskin
default_yes.gif
golden dunskin with lots of dun factor markings. Also love pintos, rich red bay pintos and golden palomino pintos in particular.

Hmmm, I would have to say a bright sorrel or chestnut, set off by some white Appy spots or blanket or even a leopard and face markings are ok. Second I would have to go with black and third with bays. Not a fan of silvers or dilutes for myself though I have seen some really nice ones. Guess I am old fashioned and sticking with the 'primary colors', LOL

This a really hadr question as I have every color of the rainbow here, but, i guess I will have to say my very favorite is blue roan. I love the blue hue to the body and all of the dark black legs, face and mane & tail. I hve two. funny thing is my head stallion carries the double dilute for palimino and althought he has given me three he has yet to give me a cremelo, good thing cuase it would be sold right off, it is the only color I don't like.

Black pintos!!!!!

"Nort" (blue eyes)

his son Pooka (blue eyes)

Kismet, a Nort daughter (blue eyes)

Willow, a Nort daughter (blue eyes)

And bay pintos!

Brandy, a Nort daughter (blue eyes)

And buckskin pintos!

My mare "Bets"

I love all colors!!! Pintos of all patterns! And blue eyes! But blck pintos catch my attention the most!
default_smile.png

drool for pooka boys color reo...

I love appys and pintos all colors

Oh! I forgot about the blue eyes, I love blue eyes. That is one gorgeous buckskin pinto REO. I love that bay with the blue eyes too. Very cool horse. My perlino of course has blue eyes and I also have a Missouri Foxtrotter who also has blue eyes and an apron face. My Paint mare has blue spots on her brown eye. Lastly my other mini has a small blue spot in her brown eye also. Paint genes at work on my mares and creme gene on my stallion. Got to love genetics
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Palomino and Buckskin for sure!

Minimal splash, and I have a chance for one of these in dilute this year (fingers crossed)

Roan

Silver

I have to say single and double dilutes, followed by Bays and black

but its so hard to really pick because a beautiful chestnut can really catch my eye too

a great looking horse of any color can really get me
default_smile.png

Lori W

By the way..........MissB (Buddys Miss Behaving) is your stallions grandmother - being the dam of Buckon Bad Girl

Back