What Is The Ring Test?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllusiveHussler

Reaction score
There's another thread asking if the Ring Test worked for anybody...And then somebody said they did the String Test...

What are these Tests and how are they done? I've figured out they are to see if your mare is pregnant with a colt or filly(wive's tale)...

And also, what does it mean when a mare is Open? That she's not pregnant?

If you look on the second page of the other ring test topic, the whole thing is explained. (I think it is the second page, but I might be wrong, I know I saw it on there somewhere!)
default_smile.png

The ring and string test I belive is the same test.

Here how it goes.

First you take a string or hair from the horses tall, does not matter.

You tie either a ring or a nail from it, also does not matter.

Hold it over the mares back in the loin area.

If the ring or nail goes back and fouth the foal is a colt. If it goes around it's a filly.

You can also stand beside the mare and hold it along side the horses side if the ring goes up and down aong side the mare she is bred , if it goes from you to the horse she is open.

I use a ring and horse hair, but know others use a nail and string and it works either way.

Do it in side or where there is NO wind.

I know it sounds too simple but it has almost always work for me.

Only once was it wrong and the mare it showed open was bred and had a filly.

So it's not 100%.

I do it just for fun and write it all down and see if it right. Just for fun.
default_yes.gif
:

Ok, I think the string test is different from the ring test. Let me see if I can remember what someone on here said about it.

You take a string/ piece if bailing twine, what ever is laying around. Wrap it around the mare's girth area and mark the place where the two ends meet.

Next wrap it around her flank area and if it takes more twine to fit around the flank that it does the girth, the mare is pg.

I tried it on my mares, although I was skeptical, just because the build of every mare is different. I was sure that my open mare would have a bigger flank than girth, because she is usually rather large. I figured my pg mare would be the opposite because she is smaller all around, but to my amazement, the results came out right! Not bred mare, not pg, bred mare, pg. Go figure!

Ok, so they aren't the most scientific ways to determine pregnancy, but hey, they are fun! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back