What is the going rate to board a mini?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critterhugger

Reaction score
I am wondering what the going rates are around the country for boarding a miniature horse per month. I would like to compare how much is reasonable for full care in a stall, compared to say a simple pen with a minimal shelter where you supply your own hay. What is everyone paying for these types of services?

Last edited by a moderator:
It "depends" is the BEST answer,'I have seen it from $75 to $250.

Basically you get what you pay for. You can't really compare rates in Michigan against, say, California because of basic economic costs. It normally doesn't matter if it's a mini or not, because if it's taking up a stall, the cost would be the same. Sometimes it's more because minis shouldn't be let out with big horses, so may take up an entire paddock by itself.

What do you mean by "minimal" shelter? They must be able to get out of rain and wind.

I Board one mini He is put in a stall at night with shavings .I blanket him and put on his neck wrap. He is turned out daily with my geldings. fed twice a day strategy, alfalfa and coastal hay. I charge $150 I think that is a fair price with what feed and shavings cost also his owner doesn't have to worry about him in bad weather.

I think the lady who boards my riding horse charges $70 for miniatures and she provides hay, grain and stall / pen cleaning... not sure how she does it and that's many times less what I pay for boarding my biggie where there's an indoor and outdoor riding ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really does depend on where you live and what you are wanting for your horse as far as care. In Oregon I paid $60/mo. which was the boarder supplies a stall, shavings and morning feeding (if you set food out the evening before). You supply all feed, evening feeding and stall cleaning. Turn out was supposed to be extra, but we had a friend there that did it for us.

When one of my horses was in training, that barn charged $175/mo just for board, but it was totally full-care.

I forgot to say that the mini I charge $150 a month for is also fed Platinum peformance supplement daily.He is treated the same as all my show horses. In the past I have boarded minis one time I charged $75 and the minis did not get turned in and out daily . They had run in shelters. So I did not have to uses shavings or blanket them and wrap necks. Another time I boarded four minis who were all in the same pen . I charged $50 a horse and did all the cleaning and feeding. The owner did not appreciate how much work it took especially in bad weather. So as far as I am concerned you get what you pay for. More work involved then the charge should be higher.

The only place I've inquired at, in North Dakota, was $10 a day for big horses, and approximately half that for a Mini/pony. This was full care with box stall and some turnout, feed provided by barn owner. Here at home I haven't checked it out because I've had no need to board any horses.

I am boarding two minis and I have room to take on two more.

I feel $150. is a good price for stall, Strategy twice a day, beet pulp for lunch, ample hay, daily turn out, grooming, bedding, and plenty of TLC and treats
default_biggrin.png

I am surprised that you can board any animal full care for $150. While in Oklahoma I board my mini and one goat and I have a heck of a deal. I have a well house that has been made into a stall, hay storage (about 10 bales can fit), and an enclosed tack room. This area opens up to 1/3 of an acre. I have trailer storage and a safe place for my cart. I provide my own feed and hay, all care including clean up is my responsibility. All this for $125 per month and I feel that is a bargain!

In California here, anywhere from $150 to $450. This depends on the amenities offered at the stable (arena, roundpen, flyspray system, size of stall, type of hay fed, etc.)

Andrea

I priced board out in Eastern side of VA and part of MD... Cheapest I could find, was in MD at a very high end stable was $200.00, owner was really nice and willing to cut a deal for a mini.

All the other places in VA wanted $350! A month.
default_new_shocked.gif

I board 2 Minis for a lady and charge her $250 each per month.This includes all feeding, hoof trimming, worming,all feed and hay and turn out and access to pasture.They are treated like they are my own.I do her shots in the spring and she pays my cost for them.I have all the responsibility and work even when it is pouring rain, 100 degree plus weather or 5 feet of snow or ice covered ground.She just brings me money.I refuse to be sresponsible for someones animals and not get well compensated.I know another lady who charges the same amount and she has 3 boarders.Some of the fees in other parts of the country sound like a real bargain.l

Im paying $50 right now, I provide feed and supplements, they provide hay. It's first cut grass, not anything special but not moldy or dusty. There is a small indoor arena and two round pens outside. The huge downfall is no outdoor turnout other than in the roundpen, stalls not done every day. For the price I just clean my own stall if they didnt do it.

We're working on getting everything in line to bring him home, but I didnt want to have him home without a trailer incase of emergency. Our trailer should be done in about 4 weeks, and now Im starting to plan fencing and shelter for home.

Here in Michigan where I board my minis, the going rate is 100 a month. That includes hay, stall, and daily turn out. I have to pay separate for the grain, hoof trimming, wormings, etc.

I've been charging 60 a month for run in shelter feed in morning and free choice hay. The owner pick up tabs for all the extras, worming,vet,farrier and any training they want done. I've been very lucky the owner is ok with what I do for the mare.

The most I have ever had to board my two minis for was for 3 or 4 days a few years ago at a mini farm close to us so I could go to a llama show and I think she charged $100 for the entire time they were and that included stall and pen cleaning, daily feeding hay and grain (I provided my own grain), as well as water and I think fly spray. They were well cared for the entire time they were there.

Dan.

I am boarding 2 minis, a mare and her 3 yr. old gelding for a lady that has gone out of town for 3 months. They are stalled together and for me to do this i've had to double up 2 of my own horses. I'm definately going through more shavings
default_sad.png
. She has paid me the full amount and he has supplied the beet pulp that the gelding gets, I supply the hay. They get daily turnout and she had their shots done before they got here. I charged her $320 per month, not each but for the both of them together.

Latest posts

Back