What is a good leave in conditioner?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

Two of my horses have really dry frizzy manes as well as the ends of their tails!! Looking for something good that doesn't need to be rinsed out!!

Thanks a bunch!

Tammy

BTW, I used Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine this morn. Feels so nice right now but does it actually end up drying the hair out like Showsheen? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
We use Straight Arrow Mane and Tail. Sometimes we will put a bunch in, comb and braid it.

We will leave it in for a day or two and then take out the braids when their hair is really dry.

Healthy HairCare Products for Horses Hair Moisturizer

I learned about it from my days of owning/showing Arabians. It is NOT expensive! Per the directions on the bottle you mix 1 part Healthy HairCare Products for Horses Hair Moisturizer with 8 parts of water (a bottle of the concentrate lasts forever). I mix it and put it in a spray bottle and apply it to manes and tails as needed (you just need to give the spray bottle a shake before every application). It is FANTASTIC for spraying on tails before putting them up (it conditions the hair while the tail is up and it reduces the breaking off of the tail). It is FANTASTIC as a post bath rinse; either mix it in a bucket and pour it over the horse or saturate the horse with a heavy mist of it from a spray bottle after a bath and let the horse air dry in the sun and it is better than ShowSheen, IMO (and not as greasy feeling).

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like Healthy Hair, I spray the top of the tail and the unbraided part of the mane with it. I also use it before I put up Shake's tail, but I use Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine every day when grooming. It gives it moisture and it gives it a little weight.

I agree on the Healthy Hair Moisturizer.

I use it one my Haflinger and his mane and tail are great.

And our minis.

Easy to use, not always as easy to find, and have no problems with it.

What I've found is that this comes from the inside, so even if you cover it up by using good moisturizers and conditioners the problem is still there. High quality protein is essential for nice hair.

Usually dry frizzy hair is caused by a Vitamin A, Zinc, Copper or Selenium deficiency.. or all of them. People who live where copper is deficient their black horse will have a reddish tinge to them. Copper will cause the hair to be dry and manes and tails to be frizzy.

Amino acids Methionine and lysine are given to make the hair soft and shiny.

Also if you could supplement with oil that'd be good, a good quality Omega 3 oil.

Generally you can look at your horses feet to tell if they need something internally, if it's hooves have a nice shiny waxy looking periople then the horses hair will be shiny and soft.

If the hooves are dry and dull and maybe chip or crack easily then the horses hair will also be dry and dull. You'll notice dry crumbly hooves and flaky skin when you have a Zinc deficiency.

Maybe more than you were asking but I hope some of this helps you.

Thank you all so much for your responses! Funny that most of you recommended the Healthy Hair , I actually have that but for some reason I can't stand the smell of it!! lol Guess I'll try nose plugs!! :)

Thanks again!!

Tammy

I do like Cowboy Magic, but usually use Infusium. Yeah the stuff for people. I used it when I was a kid and swimming a lot (the chlorine was hard on my hair).

Andrea

I haven't used Healthy Hair Moisturizer. Is it better than Shapley's MTG (other than the smell)? I have been using that for about a year, and the base of the mane and tail where it is applied is nice and soft, but the rest of the tail is pretty dry. I apply it to the whole tail lightly once in a while, though.

My hairdresser suggested Coconut Oil for African American ladies found in the hair care aisle at the store, but since I already have a couple of bottles of MTG, I haven't attempted that. Also a bit concerned with it attracting dirt.

I agree, better nutrition helps, and that is probably why the ends of the mane and tail are not as soft. We changed his feed a couple of years ago.

I haven't used Healthy Hair Moisturizer. Is it better than Shapley's MTG (other than the smell)? I have been using that for about a year, and the base of the mane and tail where it is applied is nice and soft, but the rest of the tail is pretty dry. I apply it to the whole tail lightly once in a while, though.

My hairdresser suggested Coconut Oil for African American ladies found in the hair care aisle at the store, but since I already have a couple of bottles of MTG, I haven't attempted that. Also a bit concerned with it attracting dirt.

I agree, better nutrition helps, and that is probably why the ends of the mane and tail are not as soft. We changed his feed a couple of years ago.
HH is a different animal than Shapley's. I have MTG in my arsenal too, but I only use that in the bed of the mane or the dock for a non-sensitive skinned horse with itchy issues. If they react to the MTG and act like it irritates them, I use Listerine instead. The HH is an all around coat conditioner and it is wonderful. But I use it all over the body, top of the mane (which I keep braided) and the top of the tai (also kept up). Then I go back to the mane area and tail area and hit the unbraided portion with Cowboy Magic. I'm kind of an obsessive groomer.

I love MTG, but only use it for growth, or dry skin, but awsome stuff! I love, love the Eqyss products by microtech! Smells good, softens and weighs it down.

I am also not above taking a straigtening iron with the Chi hair conditioner to a mane day of show! Or redken thermal gaurd works too!

The name on the Eqyss leave in is Survivor! Just wanted to let you know. Also Palmer Olive Oil leave in for Ethnic Hair works great! $4 at Wal mart!
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back