"What in the world do we see in minis?...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flmiller

Reaction score
Just want to share my thoughts:

Recently, in what began as a nice horse conversation with a Big Horse Person, I was asked "what in the world did we see in those things...the only thing they're good for is driving those silly carts?" :no:

Now, days later I gaze out on my pasture and think..."What do I see? Wow...I see incredible beauty, flowing grace, the playful spirit of children, the gathering of family, kindness, discipline and passion. My thoughts and eyes turn to my barn where my broodmares are awaiting the impending foaling process and I think...patience, caring, respect and contentment. I look over at my stallions' pasture and it immediately brings on thoughts of pride, strength, endurance, respect and breathtaking athletic ability rivaled, but by no means beneath, any creature that I've ever had the privledge of observing."

In hindsight, that is what I wish I had said, but taken back I simply replied in my polite little southern accent, " Oh, they are my love."

And I wish I had added, "We're blessed to have them, all the richer in spirit for sharing our lives with such a wonderful breed, and please sir...can your horse please come to my house where he will be appreciated?"

Liz

default_thumbup.gif
:

Nancy
default_wink.png
:

You summed up my feelings perfectly. I'll see ya this weekend at the Parelli clinic. Go Jr. :aktion033:

so beautifully said! thats just how i feel looking out there

kay

That was beautifully said.

You know, I thought about this thread the ENTIRE time I was outside this afternoon working my boys. There isn't much you CAN'T do with them EXCEPT ride. So what's the big deal?

Then I was thinking... why do people raise/breed/and show teacup poodles? You can't ride them.

You can't ride Persian cats either... but people breed and show them.

What about Shires... okay, you can ride them, but they're not your typical riding horse, and they're most used for draft/or driving... people still breed and use them.

Why minis? Because they're my parituclar choice of breeds. I happen to think they're beautiful, and they have uniquely fantastic personalities that stretches far and above the 'average' horse. I, however, realize that it's my opinion, and don't hold owners of other breeds in contempt for thier ignorance. LOL

I know just what you mean...

I work in a tack shop and most of the people that come in are obviously owners of riding horses. We'll get into conversation about horses and they'll ask, "oh what kind of horse do you have?". I tell them I have two adorable minis at home and they look at me with this attitude like..."no, I mean a real horse". :new_shocked:

In fact, the owner of the shop who gives lessons and rides hunter/dressage/etc keeps saying to me, "oh we have to get you a real horse". :no:

I politely say (I mean...hello...she IS my boss! lol) they ARE real horses! The only thing I can't do is ride them. I have three kids who love to spoil them and play with them. My 14 month old daughter has already proven herself to be a horse girl like her mama.
default_wub.png
:

And you know what? We WILL learn to drive and we WILL learn to ride (my daughter...not me! lol), but for now...they are teaching my kids respect, manners, patience and devotion....if that isn't REAL, I don't know what is!
default_firstprize.gif
:

I appreciate everyone's comments and support. Isn't it just so true! How lucky we are to share such a fantastic passion!

Thanks CountryHaven for that comparison to other animals...I truly hadn't thought of it like that but you are exactly right! And your comments made me think a little more. My compassion should really be for the poor guy who doesn't respect the absolute beauty and tremendous value of all equines! He is missing it!

Those of us who are lucky enough to share our lives with horses...all horses...are just blessed!

Hope you all have a wonderful St. Pattys Day!

Liz

Interestingly the same people that ask the question, what do we see in them come around in a few years owning a few themselves. More times than not! Lavonne

default_sad.png
I get that a lot. My husband has big horses (quarter horses) and naturally we have a lot of big horse people around. I have two reactions.

I can do about as much as most horse people around here do...watch them in my pasture...only they don't eat nearly as much!

The other is they have lots better dispositions and they can't hurt you nearly as bad as a 1200 lb horse can!

I also get a multitude of reactions. Many people are totally charmed and fall in love
default_wub.png
: I have won over a lot of people who are still big horse people but have a couple of minis for fun.

One of the irritating reactions is from people who find out how much I paid for one or are asking to buy one and have this shocke :new_shocked: THEY cost HOW MUCH! Like they are expecting them to be dirt cheap since they consider them near worthless...
default_wink.png
:

I have told my husband many times that about 90 percent of the big horse people we know really should own a mini because the never ride anyway. they just want to talk horse and feel like they are real cowboys :lol:

I sold my minis a few years back and was so lonely without them. I am now back with minis and am happy again :bgrin

I have to admit, ten yrs ago, I used to drive by the Eau Claire mini horse sale sign that they put out twice a yr and I used to kind of snort to myself and think "Get a real horse!" So I do still understand where these big horse people are coming from. But then one day it just so happened that I got 3 minis myself and that's all it took. My big horses have been long gone and the little ones just seemed to multiply. These little horses bring so much joy to so many people but we all know that, don't we?
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back