What household products do you use ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
Just for fun and so we can all learn new tips and tricks ... share away

What household products or human products do you use on your horses and in your

barn or barn yard.

I use:

Micatin (for athletes foot) for ring worm

Pinesol and Apple cider vinegar for fly spray

Apple cider vinegar to spray on feet for thrush and fungus

Canola oil in my feed when needed

Garlic granules in my feed (to keep flies away)

As for toys (yes mine are all big on toys) I buy stuff from the dollar store like

dog toys (tennis ball on rope) and hang them in stalls.

Colorful plastic bowling pins (drill holes in and hang them)

Wiffle balls strung on bindertwine

(they all love chewing on stuff but they are all young)

I think the bowling pin idea sounds fun! I might try getting some-

Peggy

Baby oil mixed with Listerine. Makes a nice disinfectant and helps the barn area smell nicer.

desitine (sp?) with zinc oxide. I love this ointment for slight wounds. It's not nearly as greasy and thick as a lot of horse ointments.

I think the bowling pin idea sounds fun! I might try getting some-Peggy

LOL My big and little horses love them, people make fun of me for giving them toys

but they love chewing on them. They are always crushed.

My yearling QH gelding loves untieing ropes (discovered this when I kept noticing

that he was trying to untie the haynet) SO I took an old lead rope and tied it in

many granny knots and atatched it to the rail. He spents a lot of time trying to

untie it. Beats standing around doing nothing all day (lol)

Do you just use the apple cider vinegar as it is for thrush or do you mix it with something else?

Annette

Minimom1, those are great ideas for stall toys. I have some friends with big horses (hunter/jumper) and they are always getting injured and have to have stall rest. Their horses go nuts in the stall. I'll have to pass on the suggestions.

Thanks.

Pine Sol and water for disinfecting/spraying down stall mats.

Crisco or other shortening to prevent snowballs on hooves in winter. Or bacon grease works if you let it sit around in a can for a few days and get all gross and goopy!

Bleach and water is used to clean buckets every few weeks and disinfect them. A little bleach goes a long way!

Also used bleach and water for thrush.

Rebecca

Good old vaseline for softening up any leather (just glob it on and lay it in the sun, the leather will stay soft for a very long time)

Coconut maccaroon cookies for a horse with diarrhea

Pepto Bismol (the human stuff) can also be used for diarrhea.

Molassess or karo syrup to bring a foals sugar level up, and it also helps to entice them to nurse, it can also be put in a syringe and added to crushed meds.

Sunblock, (the baby kind) to use on pink skinned noses in the summer.

Listerine for rainscald or for dandruff in manes.

Bounce fabric softener sheets for a fast and easy wipe over a horses face and ears to help keep the flies away. (only for a short term...dont last long)

Tennis balls floated in water tanks to help keep them from freezing over.

Baby oil to remove burrs. Works great! and dont have the smell of the WD-40.

I am sure as the day goes on I will think of more. I know we have had threads like this in the past. But I am a "oldie" on here and this is great for all the newbies.

Another cheap toy is to put a few pebbles in an empty gallon milk jug and hang that in the stall for the horses to knock around.

Mylanta for gas colic

The cheap off brand of triple antibiotic

The cheap off brand of antifungal

old toothbrush to clean clippers and blades

bleach mixed with water for cleaning concrete floors and brushes, combs and such

dawn dishwashing liquid to wash the show grease off the horses

I know I have more will have to think......

Dawn dish detergent gets the yellow stains out of white tails. Scrub it into the tail, let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse really well.

Baby gas relief drops, any store brand helps with gas colic as well as mylanta anti gas.

Pepto liquid for diarrhea.

Store bought great big colorful balls from the toy isle, very cheap and the horses love kicking them around.

Robin

Do you just use the apple cider vinegar as it is for thrush or do you mix it with something else?
Annette

Hi Annette, I just use it straight. Smells funny but does'nt stain everything like

the typical thrush medicines.

baby oil rubbed into areas prone to rain scald prevents it in the first place
default_smile.png

There's some neat ideas on here! A couple that I have used are: pantyhose legs (just cut off at the thigh) for side reins on a longing surcingle, alcohol to take out grass stains on whites, baby powder rubbed into the coat of a grey or on white markings to hide clipper marks, and SOS pads to clean the outside of the hooves. Also, at bath time, Ivory dish soap is my friend. lol

Minimom1, those are great ideas for stall toys. I have some friends with big horses (hunter/jumper) and they are always getting injured and have to have stall rest. Their horses go nuts in the stall. I'll have to pass on the suggestions.
Thanks.

My horses love thier toys ... not all do though ... they also have the usual

jolly balls and basket balls etc. I get teased when people come in the barn

and see my stalls, they call it my daycare center because of all the toys.

I say busy horses are happy horses ... Big or Small

Toilet brush to clean water barrels/troughs/buckets.

Kitchen strainer to dip stuff out of water troughs - like hay or leaves that blow in right after you've cleaned and filled them. LOL

Jel cleanser (like Soft Scrub) for stains in tails and to scrub hoofs.

Jhirmack Silver Brightening Shampoo for beautifully clean white on horses. I use something else as a "first" shampoo then follow up with the purple stuff. Love what it does for their coats.

OK now this list is just getting TOO cool! I LOVE it. Going to have to copy and paste all these wonderful suggestions. Thanks for the fun!

Capall Beag IRL: How often do you normally have to reapply the baby oil to them??

it depends how wet its been, but i usually use a really good squirt from ears to top of tail every 4-6 weeks through the winter.

the best way to check is to rub your hands through the coat and if you dont have any oil residue on your hand then it's time

to do it again but be careful as i find the oil leaves the coat (winter coat because all of our horses live out for the winter)

lovely and silky so dont mistake silkiness for the oil.

since doing this on the 2 i have prone to it they have NEVER had is since
default_biggrin.png
even my vet is passing this trick onto other

clients he has.

and i only by the really cheap stuff, none of this branded ones. after all there is a recession
default_biggrin.png

Joanne

Last edited by a moderator:
Kitchen strainer to dip stuff out of water troughs - like hay or leaves that blow in right after you've cleaned and filled them. LOL
Donna this is a great idea! I will have to buy one for the horses!

Latest posts

Back