Have you heard of using apple cider vinegar/water/pine sol

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmm

Reaction score
Have you heard of using apple cider vinegar/pine sol/water to use as a spray on horses to keep flies away? I heard that it is good for spraying the barn also. I just wonder if it really does work. It sure would be a lot cheaper!!

I use straight apple cider vinegar and think it works better than any fly spray but you have to be able to take the initial smell of it as it is sprayed. If mosquitos are bad my natural horsemanship instructor adds citronella oil but i haven't done that yet. It makes their coats look really good as well.

Amanda

I don't think I would use the Pine Sol, as there are detergent elements that I don't want on my horses without rinsing it off.

I DO, however, use a cirtonella oil, water, and viniager mix. If I cannot find citronella oil, I use eucalyptus oil, and it works just as well.
default_yes.gif
:

apple cider vinager is supposed to be good for helping a horses teeth. According to a equine dentist it helps to clean some of the build up off the teeth. Providing they will drink it.

eucalyptus oil is also supposed to be good for keeping fleas away. As is peppermint oil. Just thought I would add that .

I don't think I would use the Pine Sol, as there are detergent elements that I don't want on my horses without rinsing it off.

I DO, however, use a cirtonella oil, water, and viniager mix. If I cannot find citronella oil, I use eucalyptus oil, and it works just as well.
default_yes.gif
:
Sue what proportions do you use of each ingredient?

Thanks,

Yvonne

1 1/2 oz. Citronella Oil

1 Cup Cider Vinegar

1 cup Water

Mix in a 20 oz. spray bottle.

Internal Fly Repellant

If your horse is allergic to fly bites, try 1/4 cup of apple cider

vinegar on their grain once a day. This raises the blood acid level

just enough to bother the flies, but it is completely healthy for the

horse. It takes about one week to start seeing the effects. Several

old timers have told me that they always put vinegar in their horse's

drinking water during the summer to repel flies and mosquitoes

You can mix seven parts water with one part citronella as a fly spray. It's

not oily either. Mix it four parts water to one part citronella during the

worst of the fly season.

You can take a bottle and fill it with white vinegar and two tablespoons of

GREEN DAWN dish soap. Add water if you wish to dilute it a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started using apple cider vinegar and ivory soap it works better than ANY other store bought fly repellant I have ever purchased.

Latest posts

Back