What gives??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sue for sure there were other breed influences but theres no doubt that Shetlands were the main breed used.

It is what it is. Its the history of our club ie American Shetlands and American Miniature horses.

I found them!!!!

default_pantiesbig.gif

OMG! That is too cute. As that saying seems to be used frequently enough on here, its only fitting that we have the emoticon to go with it.

in Regards to Falabella, I was under the impression that Falabella is not a breed (even though there is a registry) but rather a line of mini horses from the falabella ranch of argentina? Just as we have Buckaroo horses and Arenosa horses. These are "types" that these farms bred for. regardless, it is a type that has influenced the breed. I like Arenosa myself, and I know there is alot of shetland influence in it.

From the falabella site:

What is a Falabella? The Falabella is the Original miniature horse. It has been bred on the Falabella ranch in Argentina for over 150 years and it’s story began in 1845 when an Irish man named Patrick Newtall discovered that the tribes of pampas Indians had some unusually small horses along with their larger riding horses. He managed to obtain some and by 1853 he had created a herd of small, perfectly built little horses of around 102cms.In 1879 he transferred his findings, herd and knowledge to his son-in-law, Juan Falabella. Juan continued the experiment by using other breeds to develop this small horse – the smallest English thoroughbreds he could find, Shetland ponies and Criollo – the Argentine horse of the pampas.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good friend emailed me this morning and gave me such a giggle. She said I guess we could throw away the ASPC papers on our ASPC/AMHR horses and then they would become "pure miniatures". It worked 30 years ago so I guess it could still work now. After all once you throw the ASPC papers away they are no longer Shetland right?

Way too funny

Kay

AAfter all once you throw the ASPC papers away they are no longer Shetland right?

Way too funny

Kay
Well 30 years ago they did become more marketable once those papers were gone.... perhaps the same can be said today for the general mini population and it's buyers ?

A good friend emailed me this morning and gave me such a giggle. She said I guess we could throw away the ASPC papers on our ASPC/AMHR horses and then they would become "pure miniatures". It worked 30 years ago so I guess it could still work now. After all once you throw the ASPC papers away they are no longer Shetland right? Way too funnyKay
I guess that would work, but only if you consider the 30+ years of selective breeding that has turned them into an animal that even the Shetland owners have to agree has evolved into another animal...otherwise why the "need" to "inprove" them?

A good friend emailed me this morning and gave me such a giggle. She said I guess we could throw away the ASPC papers on our ASPC/AMHR horses and then they would become "pure miniatures". It worked 30 years ago so I guess it could still work now. After all once you throw the ASPC papers away they are no longer Shetland right?

Way too funny

Kay
OMG, Kay. That never occured to me.
default_thumbup.gif
That could be the answer to all of this fuss! Now we need a "burning the bra - I mean papers" emoticon!

Latest posts

Back