What does everyone do with their horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
We just had a really really bad wind for the past 30 minutes. It was blowing sand (I live in the desert) everywhere, bad enough where I could hardly see my horses 20 feet in front of me. I felt it best to try to put my horses in my 8X8 shed, as my colt was spooked and running around like crazy. I didn't want him hurting himself or my little filly. It took me nearly 10 minutes but I finally coaxed them into the shed with some hay and grain.

It got me to wondering what everyone else does with their horses during bad storms. Do you bring them inside or just let them be in their pen or pasture?

Of course, it's easy when you only have one horse to worry about - but I put her away when there is a storm. Most of the time, it's just a lot of wind and rain - but there's no telling when lightening will hit in the area - and there are a lot of trees around the paddock, so I don't want to take any chances.

Last edited by a moderator:
my ponies go into a lean two when weather gets rough, i wish i had a barn but my dad won't build one

It depends, T-storms or cold weather storms, they come in. If there is a tornado watch they stay out. When its windy they stay in a tree line and at that end of the pasture there is a gate to 600 acres. So if the watch turns to a warning, then they get let out to that pasture.

I like having them up and inside and they just chill out. Pepper ( aka Psycho mare) is the only one that prefers to stay out and you will find her out in her run, most of the time. She has even stayed out during ice storms, much to the consternation of her momma LOL

[SIZE=10pt]I WISH I had a barn! For now - the mini's have a "mini barn" - just big enough for them to all be snug and all. Oh - and with a little perch fpr their mascot rooster. The horses and mini donkey have a lean-to. The interesting thing is - the mini's including my donkey always hi-tail it to shelter when it starts to even just rain...The horses could care less and stay out in this weather - go figure![/SIZE]

Lori

The whole herd is outside year round all 12 stallions have there huts and the 30 some mares have there shelters which can house 40 of them with room to spare plus they have year round access to the barns 10x100 foot overhang back and front. But the odds are no matter how ugly the weather gets thats were they are... out in it. With the exception of hail and none of ours like the wind gusts we get so they are all seem to disappear for that.

Bad storms,wind, any of the nasty stuff I get my two in right away. Now the all day rain, they decide. My mare seems to love to get rained on, but my gelding is always dry
default_wub.png
:

"lean too" is a 2 or 3 sided run in . it used to be a roofed set of poles " leaning" against a tree or side of a building. but most have evolved into run in sheds. DR. PS the only time I forse mine inside is in hail or snow. but thats pretty rare. ours can go in or out and about half prefer to be out onder the trees.

we have also here in canada had a few thunder storms and hard rains far between but pretty scarry to say, my guys all have access to their barn when they want it and when it really rains out and thunders they head in their barn - and as for me well I sit off and on by the camera watching them to make sure they are safe. When it is just raining out the are very active and enjoy playing and running for fun and not out of fear - it cools them down and the bugs do not bother them so they run around playing who is the leader - really fun to watch and we all do - the rest of the time it is in the high 30's and all they want to do is walk slow and eat and drink.

Summer storms with no thunder or lightning and they can stay out.. snow if it isnt to bad and they go out to play for a bit but really bottom line is I have a barn for a reason :)

My horses love there barn and if it is windy and rainy they demand to be put in.

Show horses are in during the day and out at night. the rest are out 24/7. every area has a "lean to" or 3 sided shed for the horses. IF they desire, they do go in the "lean to" out of the weather. if a horse is succeptable to the cold rain or snow for some reason, then that horse will come into the barn during storms--this very seldom happens. there have been exceptions tho (like freezing rain storms).

jennifer :saludando:

Ours are big babies...if its going to storm...they are at that gate to come in
default_sad.png
. Of course I should also say...I am a big baby too...I want them tucked safely in there stalls during bad weather
default_unsure.png
:

I have been hit by lightening as a kid...so, I have a HUGE respect for bad weather. Scary stuff
default_unsure.png
: ...and, yes it did leave a mark!!
default_wacko.png
:

lis

Here in the lightning capital of the U.S, In, everyone In. Now.

I will admit I have ben caught off the property before a strom blew in, but if I am here, those kids are inside.

However if it's just rain, they are horses, and they can stay in the rain for a little.

As long as they have a dry place to come into and daily feet care, I don't feel that plain rain will hurt them a bit.

We have a out night in day routine for the most part, though mares and foals are out as much as possible, (run in stalls).

Depending on Mosquitos and the heat, that rotation changes.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If the storms are going to be very bad and I wouldn't want to be outside, I feel they wouldn't either, so I put them in the barn. That would be bad electrical storms, blizzards, ice storms, or hurricanes and hope we never see a tornado.

Well mine go in and out of their barn but if it is really bad they still have the choice - I tried to close them inside the barn with the bottom of the door closed and they had a fit - more then the weather was doing. None of them have really been stalled and when you close the door they go more crazy. So I just let them decide and they will go inside till it is all over, there has been a rare time when they did not go in when it is storming out so I go to the barn and call them in and they come a running once inside and now with me also stuck we all wait it out.

For bad storms, my horses are IN, or they have the option to go in (with run-out stalls). My horses are loving the new barn so much-- shady and cool with breezes through it, and fewer bugs than outside-- they are demanding to come in when it gets too hot outside, or the bugs get too bad, or whenever else they prefer the barn. Gonna have to "toughen up" these horses a bit, lol!
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back