WHAT DO YOU WASH YOUR MINI WITH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. Am wanting to give Bobby a wash but can only seem to locate horse conditioner - any ideas on what to use? I didnt want to use human shampoo in case it caused any probs - i.e, I know you cant do that in relation to dogs.

Oh and not sure if anybody else but good old Australia has these or not, but where we live we have ticks that can paralise (sorry about the spelling) dogs/cats etc and given kill them if not caught early enough. In questionning vets and other horse owners, the jury is out as to whether these will affect Bobby. I have got a tick rinse which I plan to spray on him tomorrow but was wondering if anybody had any experience with these kinda ticks on their minis - i.e,., the people that I spoke to were all talking about big horses - not little mini's.

Regards, Kerrie

Last edited by a moderator:
Ticks will and do affect horses- I know the ones you are talking about and if they can paralyse a human they can certainly affect a Mini!!!

Whether the repellent will work is another thing entirely as, if it did, there would be no problems, if you get what I am saying!!

I wash my horses in human shampoo- it is not the best idea as the Ph value of human hair id different and it can in some cases, cause dryness and flakiness. For this reason I use the cheapest baby shampoo, no perfume, I can get and the cheapest "own brand" conditioner. Rinse out very, very well.

I wonder if those Spot-On treatments would work for ticks? Might be worth a try.

I can't tell you how jealous I am that you are having horse-washing weather right now. Lucky duck.
biggrin.gif

Your best bet is using a shampoo formulated for horses. I like Mane and Tail Shampoo. I frequently use a conditioner for human hair but always rinse well. As for the ticks, again I would use a product for horses formulated to repel/kill ticks.

One thing we all must remember is that human shampoo is made to be used in warm to hot water. It does not rise well with cold water. Make sure to rinse really well it takes a long time to grow out an ichy bald spot!!
wacko.gif

As for ticks, I get permethrin (sp) from my vet. I put a dab on the end of the tailbone and rub in well with my fingers. I also put some along his mane and rub it in very well. You can wear gloves if you want, or wash your hands well afterwards. I have also used the Advantix for dogs, and it works, too. I have never seen any negative effects on my minis with this, and I've done it for 3 three years. I put it on three or four times during tick season--sometimes I don't remember to do it until I've seen a tick. I know other horse owners who do this also. The permethrin isn't cheap, but it has a good shelf life. It may have a different name in your part of the world.

Marsha

Laundry Detergent! The kind in the pink bottle that is used for washing baby clothes. A woman that is a judge at QH shows taught me that trick. It has an anti fungal in it too. It's inexpensive for a large amount and works really really well. We ran out about two weeks ago, but I thought with this cold weather I won't bathe for awhile. I think it's spelled... "Dreft".. (fingers crossed)... Check it out... it can't hurt!

When you have a large horse to deal with, other types of shampoo are just too expensive. If you see our Pressa in our avatar... that's what the people we purchased her from used... She looks good to me!

Edited for dyslexic fingers... Lol..

Last edited by a moderator:
Store brand of good old Baby Shampoo,,,nice and mild, many many big show farms that I know of use nothing but pure generic baby shampoo. Cool

I have a fly spray that has tick and flea deterrent in it also. This summer we had no problems with flies, ticks or fleas...I can't remember the name of it, but it smelled like Citris.

I really like Iodine shampoo (diluted of coarse). I got it to use on my sensitive Thoroughbred mare who is prone to skin problems and who's old owners had pulled her tail for dressage. Noy only does it clear up any skin problems, but it also makes them really shiny! It helped to grow her tail out too. Now I use it on all of my horses and it works great.
yes.gif

I also use Head and Shoulders, the human dandruff(sp?) shampoo on their manes and tails. I'm in Pony Club and they do not care much for dandruff. It can be a bit hard to wash out, but as long as you are sure to get it all out, it works great, and leaves the hair really nice.

DREFT...who would have thought it!!!! I shall try it as soon as the water unfreezes (as anti- freeze is NOT a good look
rolleyes.gif
)

I use EQ Solution......it is great, all natural and a gallon will last you a year or more........of course you have to have the foamer to go with it but it was the best investment I have made.........I can do 10 big horses in no time flat and everyone is shiny and it leaves no residue..........of the 10 horses I was doing were not all mine. Hubby had a cousin who did not believe me so I washed his horses and his friends horses now thats all they use too........they have a website.......just do a search for EQ Solution.

I know!!!! Dreft!!! I was shocked when I saw this woman who was an AQHA judge, Pony Club, spent her entire life showing pull out the Dreft! I asked her about it, and she said for like $10. dollars, she can buy a couple of gallons that last forever! Then she went into the anti fungal stuff and all the chemistry of it, and how it even reduces dandruff, because it doesn't dry the skin! Who'd have thought! Well, works for us! Lol...

God Bless,

Lynn

Ivory dishwashing detergent, or baby shampoo and dreft

We use Palmolive Oxy. It works wonders. It's not greasy like alot of horse shampoos and it's not dry like human ones. It makes them very soft and shiny.

From time to time ..oxy cleans. Makes coco so bright and white you wouldnt beleive it.

But i normally use Mane&Tail in the summer ...

BUT ..

i just got some QuickSilver and cant wait to try it out ..heard it works wonders.

Leeana

Is DREFT only available in the US? I've never heard of it over here in Canada.

Is it a powder or liquid?

What company is it made by?

Well, I can get it here!!! Basically though you are looking for any washing powder/liquid that says it is safe for baby clothes and hypoallergenic- it may be marketed under another name???

Latest posts

Back