What do you use on shedding horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
Since shedding time is (rapidly I hope) approaching I thought it would be fun to share which tool/grooming aid we find best to use when all that hair decides to turn loose.

I find that the shedding comb works better than anything else I've tried. For those who might not be sure what I'm talking about - It's a double loop of aluminum (serrated on one side, smooth on the other) with a handle.

What works best for you????

Last edited by a moderator:
Since shedding time is (rapidly I hope) approaching I thought it would be fun to share which tool/grooming aid we find best to use when all that hair decides to turn loose.
I find that the shedding comb works better than anything else I've tried. For those who might not be sure what I'm talking about - It's a double loop of aluminum (serrated on one side, smooth on the other) with a handle.

What works best for you????

Yup, I use that too.

Clippers!!
default_biggrin.png

Someone on another forum recomended a Furminator. I went out and bought one yesterday from the local pet store. It seems to work really well, but only one of mine is really shedding right now, so I'll hold judegement until I've gotten a little more use from it. It did take a lot off of the one that is shedding, it is not supposed to cut the coat and it left her nice and smooth. It was designed to remove the undercoat on dogs, but the company also advertises it for horses (different sizes). I just got the large dog one which is perfect the the minis! Shop around though, the one I got was rediculously expensive and I'm sure that you could find them for much less. They have a website, pops right up when you google "Furminator."

I agree with Stormy though, clippers are my favorite!!!

If you are referring to Spring shedding, NOTHING beats a hair rake! You buy them in the pet section at pet stores or department stores. NOTHING can compare!

hairrake.jpg
hairrake2.jpg

I bought a large dog Furminator last year......just love it! It's a little spendy but it makes speedy work of shedding them out! I find the hair doesn't float around as much either. You know....getting in your nose, mouth, eyes and all over your clothes!

I use an Epona Shed Flower, plus a vaccuum/blower. Works very well. :D

shed_flower1.png

Shedding comb (blade) for me too. I actually love shedding horses out. I love to watch the hair peel back with the comb in big globs. It is really very relaxing to me!
default_wacko.png

[SIZE=18pt]The Furminator! [/SIZE] Definitely! I LOVE it. It gets all that loose hair out without much effort, and I agree with others that it keeps the hair from floating around in the air and all over you! I think it feels really good to them too
default_yes.gif

Shedding comb and hair rake, as per others' illustrations above.

I like combing out my shedding beasties, but I don't like walking back into the house looking like a yeti...

But, it means spring is coming, right? Yay!

I use a shedding blade and thoroughly enjoy it even if I get covered with hair, it is just another way for me to spend lots of time with my babies
default_smile.png
. And when people stop by which happens a lot it is kinda fun to see the funny looks they give me when I walk up to them covered head to foot in hair.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the response. Think I'll look around and see if I can find a hair rake around here somewhere to buy. It definitely looks promising....looks like it would work great on manes and tails too.

For those who are interested in trying a Furminator but worried about the price, I found a knock off called a Furbuster (same thing different name) that was WAY less expensive. I haven't tried it out on the horses yet but it has been working great on my dog. I think the rake is a better tool when the shedding first begins here and the hair is supper long but as time goes on the Furbuster/Furminator will be my choice of tools.

Hair rake or cattle comb (pretty much the same thing only it is a lot cheaper) -- right around $9 and it works GREAT ! ! !

This is a close up of the rake in the next post-I love it!

disc23057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back