What do you think of this bit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthchild

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting this bit. It is a Kellly SS 4" mullen mouth, brand new, all stainless steel, for

$9. What are your thoughts?

mini bit.jpg

http://www.cassphoto.com/mylerbit.jpg

I have a bit that looks like the one you are thinking of. It is a Myler and cost $150. It has copper strips in it. I do not think I would buy a $9 bit. When I was shopping for mine, there were horror stories of pinching and failure with inexpensive bits.

My horses really like this bit; it is a little heavier than a plain frenchlink, however. And, the check does not attach to it well.

As a first bit, I don't think you could go wrong with a nice french link from Mini Express. Perhaps other companies now carry one, but I have two from that company and am pleased.

Also 4" might be too large for your horse. You could try putting a pencil or dowel in his mouth and measuring the width.

Bit shopping can be most confusing! Good luck!

4" is usually too big for minis. If you are very careful and always inspect your bits before placing them in the horses mouth, you can get away with using cheaper bits. What you have to look for is the wear on them. They can rust or crack in the corners.

I like the mullen for a starter bit for the minis. Often when horses first start they don't like pressure on their tongues. The mullen gives just a little relief.

It depends upon the mini. A 4-inch bit can easily fit a big B...that's the size Mingus wears.

Just be careful to measure, and be sure to allow for loose lips!

I have a kelly bit mine has a slight port to it, the horses I know that I have used it on love it. I got that email too, those bits are normally 28$ but they are having a sale today.

Latest posts

Back