What do you love most...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
about reading? For me, it's that I get to escape the reality and stress of everyday life when I open the pages of a book. If I've had a bad day or I just want some time alone, reading allows me to forget everything for a while. I get to experience many different lives and locations inside of a book, and I can use my imagination to make the words I'm reading even better.

Not to mention, I'm a big girl. Since I've started reading full time, I no longer have high blood pressure. So there are definately some health benefits included, not to mention my marriage is doing better then ever before. If I get mad at my hubby, I grab my book and head for a quiet corner. Sure beats all the screaming we used to do.
default_smile.png

So why do you like to read?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is being able to escape as well. I put myself right into stories. I read a quote once and I can't remember exactly how it went, but it was something along of the lines of how a person who reads gets to live a thousand different lives before they die, whereas those who don't only live one. I love that!

Also, I have ADD and anxiety due to my hyperthyroidism and books are the only thing that can keep my focus and lower the stress so they help keep me sane (somewhat)
default_smile.png

I like the drama and excitement! In my everyday life I "dont do drama" at all. I will do everything in my power to keep things going smooth. So reading for me gives me the craziness that I completely avoid in my in real life.

I love it for the same reasons. It relaxes me so much!!! For so long now, every night before bed, I listen to a book and that helps me fall alseep. Reading is something I look forward to as a way to relax or take my mind off other things. Love it when the books make me laugh, and if a book was especially good, a lot of times it makes me cry / get choked up when it's over even if it's a happy ending. I feel pretty emotional about the books that I read and get attached to the characters.

I love everything about reading...discovering new worlds, learning new things...everything!

I love writing and words. The story is almost secondary to the writing. I love a great way with words -- when they dance and stir my imagination. Even the best movie lacks the descriptive passages of a well-written book.

I love all the accoutrements of books -- illustrations, photos, maps, bibliographies, historical timelines, etc. My mother used to cut newspaper articles that related to her books and tuck them inside.

I love book design. As a graphic designer, I check out the cover art and design, page layout, and the typography. I remember when I was about six, lying in bed reading and noticing that the letter "t" was different in different books -- I was too young to understand typography and various typefaces, but I was fascinated by that.

I love bookplates, authors' signatures and dedications in gift books.

I love books themselves -- everything about them physically. Beautiful paper, end papers, deckled edges. I love the look, smell and feel of books. As much as I appreciate my Kindle, it totally lacks the appeal to the senses that add to a book's character. I love rooms that are filled floor to ceiling with books. I grew up in a home where every room was essentially a library, so I guess that is my comfort zone. My dream room would be a two story library with a ladder...then add a fireplace and a bed.

My books are my treasures, worth far more than their monetary value. They are my history, as each book I've read retains that moment in time when I was reading it. I still remember what books I read at key points in my life, along with the music I was listening to, the smells of the room and the lighting. At times the memories are so strong I feel I could go back in time just by opening the right book.

I love reading all of your resonses. It's wonderful to have so much in common with people you know only through cyber space.

Susanne, your reply definately "spoke" to me. For lack of a better phrase, it "danced and stirred my imagination". I could relate to it on so many levels - from the feel and smell of a book, to the memories that surround your first experience traveling through a book's pages. You're talent for putting words together are beautiful.

I love reading for all of the reasons already stated. Susanne, your reply was eloquent and beautiful. Thank you!

Reading is my escape. It's why I almost always like stories with "happy endings." There is enough sad in the real world. I want my happy parts! I don't mind some "teary" spots, but I prefer to have good outcomes.

I remember being about ten years old and reading, "Bridge to Terabithia" for the first time. It was the first book I cried while reading it. I can remember being so amazed that the written word had the power to move me to such a strong emotion. It was then that I realized how powerful a person's writing could be.

Barbara

I may be nuts, but I've had day dreams over what if we had no electricity, and H and I just enjoy a book together! It involves either me reading aloud (which I'm not very good at doing) or a magical way to power an iphone so it still does audio books... In the daydream (or the pre-sleep relaxation), there's a way to supply unlimted power to the phone so it can read to us
default_yes.gif

Oh gosh, I sometimes get sooo wrapped up in a book that I'll cry numberous times - at all the emotional parts, at the happy parts, and at the end when I'm finished with it. Lol. I try not to read sad books, so it tears me apart when one ends up that way.
default_sad.png

I love reading to escape, learn about different locations and the people who live there. Since I don't get to travel, I use books to visit the places I most want to see. I would rather read then watch tv.

susanne your post was exceptional and explained the power of a real book so well. There is nothing like the feel of a hardback book. My Mother-in-law used to laugh at me for my hardcovers and she only read paperbacks, she said I was wasting money buying the harcovers, NOPE, no money wasted on me here.

I like to get lost in them, just lose myself in the adventures, the times and places. I like to imagine the places, what the people look like, love the suspense, drama, and sometimes to picture myself in the action. Susanne you would love my books, as have hundreds of them, but, alas no library, but I do have a wood stove and chairs.

Riverrose, Your post brought goose pimples to my arms -- I'd love to see your books. Imagine a vacation where you could immerse yourself in someone else's book collection! Boxes of books have their own appeal, like an unopened present. I'm in book bliss just thinking of it...

As others mentioned it's getting "lost" in a book, another time another place...and I love when a character just grabs me. I love when a book comes to life and you know the characters are "real" because they are real to you! It's the words, the decriptions, I just find myself voracious for a story! I am not a writer and I have some imagination, but not nearly enough to write a book! I find myself amazed that authors can create whole worlds and sometimes even new languages!

Susanne~ My sister and I both dream of a floor to ceiling library with ladders and staircase pictured in Disney's Beauty & the Beast. In mine I would have a comfy sofa with warm fuzzy blanket and a picture window to peek outside at my horses when I come up for air or to ponder what I just read. Throw in tea, hot chocolate or a flavored latte when I want it and I am in heaven!
default_smile.png
Oh and of course my favorite reading buddy to snuggle, my little dog Teo!

Latest posts

Back