What do you do with your hair while showing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I have mostly shown big horses, or open horse shows, and always wore a cowboy hat with my hair pinned up inside my hat.

I'm wondering how you do your hair for miniature shows?

I have really fine limp hair, so things like buns and such wont work for me. I'm a hairdresser and have access to a lot of stuff, im just not sure what is appropriate at a show.

I do not do hats....

I do a simple pony tail and just do like a bun or clip it it up so you can see my back number.

I made the mistake at a show early last year, woke up late...got to the barn late and was late getting horses ready..had three boys going showing that morning and rushing getting hooves painted, halters on, tied ext. Forgot to clip my pony tail (that is about the extent of my hair skills...pony tail
default_wacko.png
) and the judge actually walked up and swooshed my hair and told me judges hate it when they cannot easily find your back number...well yes i know, i just forgot. Needless to say had dad run back and grab my clip and put my PT up prior to the next class.

I put mine in a simple black show bow, left over from riding days. Keeps it away from my number and fairly neat.

I wear my cowboy hat with cutter crease- no hair dangling out, I try to look like I am going in showmanship in all my classes. Neat, clean, sharp, crisp. Just like the QH shows. A crappy incorrectly blocked hat looks very bad. You know what I mean. 20x+

If I'm not wearing a western hat I like to put my hair up in a high pony tail. My hair has natural curls in it so when I just "wash and wear" it has good volume...I'll put it up in a high pony tail and gel and spray throughout so it won't droop in the heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning,

You didn't say how long your hair is/was. Like you I have fine limp hair that won't hold a curl unless I spray lots and lots of hair spray. I do have long hair (past my shoulders) and I wear mine up with a clip on bun and then put a nice bow underneath. This way it's pulled back away from my face, off my shoulders and it's neat with no flyaways. You can see my back number when I show. The only time I wear a hat is in my carriage driving classes.

If seeing your back number is a problem, then clip it on your hip or on the upper part of your pants where it shows on your rear end or you can buy some of the number pins that the quarter horse people use and pin it on your back just lower past where your hair may fall if you do pull it back.

Like Angela, I like a crisp clean look. I see so many people walk into a class that doesn't even wipe off the dust from their boots or shoes. Yes, a judge does look at the entire picture not just the horse but the handler as well. If two horses are equal in the class then they go to the next step and look at the handler. A unkept handler can loose a class even though their horse just shines. I attend lots of quarter horse and paint horse shows and I do pay attention to what they are doing out in the show ring. It does trickle on down to other breeds and their shows.

Hope this helps.

Karen

I am also a hair stylist , and my hair isnt thick. The best thing , and clean classic look is a "show bow", that is the bow attached to a barette (sp) with a net for your remaining hair. It will look like you have more hair , because its all tucked away neatly in the net bag . It is a very classic look that will always look nice and not distracting. I personally like to look less "hee haw ", and more refined like my horse , if I am showing a narrow , long refined horse. I know a judge that drives in English Attire , he always looks smashing. just what works for my personality, if your more of a cow girl by all means where a beautiful black cowboy hat with your hair tucked under.

Well, it is old fashioned, but it suits me and I am too old to change, so I do what I do is put a hair net over my hair that pulls it up into a sort of loose bun, and then put a hat on top.

No matter what you do it looks neat.

My daughter and I both have fine, long hair that on humid, hot show days - especially when we don't have time to wash it, turns just limp and gross. We have several of the buns and pony tails that match our hair so we can just put ours up with one and they stay all day. I tried to find a couple of pics, but you can't see the back that great, but here is my daughter wearing a couple of different buns bun and then sort of a half pony trail thing. WAY easier than taking the time to do your own hair.

DutchandSamanthaCountryPleasure.jpg

parkharness.jpg

fancyturnout.jpg

Karen Shaw gave some great advice about not just hair, about the whole look you present to the judges. Angela also always looks awesome -- polished and professional.

My hair is currently a few inches past my collar bone. I've used the show clips with the barretts before, and generally they slide around in my hair and look messy because my hair is so fine its hard to hold them. Even if I "gunk up" the area where the barette goes, it always ends up messed up.

I'm trying to stay away from a cowboy hat unless I show showmanship simply because I look pretty terrible in one. I do have three really good quality hats, a black, a tan, and a silverbelly.

I hadnt thought about the clip in hair extension pieces and such. I may actually grab one thats on an elastic and put it in my hair as a ponytail, then make a bun or something. I can always find them to match, i have black hair, lol.

I cut my hair all the time. So if it was long, I always wore a bow with a hair net to keep it from covering my number. But recently, I've been going with shorter hair. When it was shoulder length, I would pull it half back. So a nice style, but not slicked or anything (and can be easily fixed). Now its bob length and I just wear it as a bob. I don't look good with slicked back hair. I did the cowboy hat my first year. But being 5'11", a hat sure adds more height and that doesn't look good showing a miniature.
default_laugh.png

Maybe you could try a small braid to keep it together??

I have thick long hair, down to the top of my thighs. When I showed, I'd put it in a show bow that I made myself! The hair net part I just made bigger LOL

One of my daughters as fine whispy hair. It is just past her collarbones too. She pulls it back smoothly into a ponytail first. Then she clips one of those barrettes that has a bow on it over the pony tail holder. That way it stays on. She really likes the barrettes that have the big bow, and then also the little sequined hair net "sack" on the bottom of it. That way it looks like a bun with a bow on top. Finally, she sprays the sides with hairspray to keep those little whispy flyaways from happening. It looks good, and stays in.

I put up my daughter's hair for all classes. She wears a hair net (hates it but my old showing days it looks much neater). I also use tons of hair spray to keep the whisps down. We also work with the different things to make her hair into a bun.

When she is driving I put her hair down and we just pull the sides up to make it look neat. She has hair that is long, about to the middle of her shoulder blades.

I have a really hard time getting my hair to look good in the show ring i usually try to wear a hat. I have really long hair (down past my waist) and its thick...its hard to keep a barette(sp) w/ the bows to stay in. and when its back in a pony tail you cant see my number...I try to hook (number) in a pin on my pocket...but whatelse could i do to my hair in the ring

Reo has the most beautiful hair i have ever seen!

Mine is very fine and straight and drives me crazy. I finally cut it shorter starting last year and I have to say it is a ton easier not worrying about pony tails etc. I also have to perm mine right before show season or its just straight as a board

Chy I have thick curly hair and I keep it pretty short but my daughter has also got thick hair that is long (about mid back) and what i do to keep it tidy is put it in a braid or french braid. For the show ring you could do a single braid and pin the braid up like a bun with a bow and net to help hold it in place. That should keep it neat all day for you. Just a thought

Chy I have thick curly hair and I keep it pretty short but my daughter has also got thick hair that is long (about mid back) and what i do to keep it tidy is put it in a braid or french braid. For the show ring you could do a single braid and pin the braid up like a bun with a bow and net to help hold it in place. That should keep it neat all day for you. Just a thought

Thanks thats a good idea I will have to try that for the next show

Thank you Kay!
default_wub.png

Chy, I pull my hair back to a pony tail. Use rubber bands to secure it. My show bows have big barretts BUT I don't try to jam all my hair into it (it wouldn't all fit anyway) Instead, I clip the barrett through a layer of my hair above the rubber band. Then I put my hair into the net part of the show bow. It looks like anyone else wearing a show bow, it holds wonderfully! And you CAN use a show bow with a barrett!

Latest posts

Back