What do you do if you get to much change at a store?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormo41

Reaction score
kinda going along with the tipping thread, I watched Dr.Phil yesterday and they did an expearment where a grocery store clerk would give costumers $20 extra in their change and see how many people gave it back. All but one person gave it back.

So what would you do? would you give it back?

To be painfully truthfull I don't think I would even notice! I do just presume that I am getting the right amount back. The painful part of my confession I could be lossing out on money becaue I would not notice if they did not give me enough back either. However if I did notice I would most defintly return the money.

Been there, and gave it back, and would again. On the flip side, I've had businesses agrue me when it was a reverse situation, that's disappointing.

~Karen

No problem answering that one, tell the cashier right away.

Hubby and I both have done this many times.

I think sometimes I am just being tested..
default_wub.png
:

Just wanted to add, what bothers me more, is when the cashier forgets my change.

More and More all the time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Give it back....unless I find it out on the road or in the parking lot.

Have you noticed that in these times there are cameras EVERYWHERE!! :new_shocked: It's almost impossible to get away with anything from a petty crime to a homicide. (Can you tell I watch Court TV and Forensic files?) Gotta watch those nose picks too..... there are cameras even up at intersections secured to the lights! :saludando:

I always give it back. They are always so grateful to me for doing that, but it is the only thing to do. The right thing.

Back when Lee & I were first married ( when $20 was like a $100 today) we were given an extra twenty dollar bill from the bank. We took it back.

Always give it back.. Sterling, I LOVE court tv and forensic files. Have it on right now.. Love Dale Hinman. I think she is so neat.
default_smile.png
Like I said give it back. What goes around comes around. It'll come back to bite you. :bgrin

Give it back.

I have came out of a store with something under my purse and not know it until I get to my truck and pick up my purse from the cart. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I may come back the next day and pay for it but pay for it I do.

its happened to me, and I think I got a $10 back instead of a $1... my cousin went to get shakes and came back and said they give him to much money, I took it back. I couldln't live with myself knowng that I basically stole $10.00 from them!

Gage

Well, I'm like you Stormo. I probably wouldn't notice, UNLESS they count it back to you, but most times they just pass it to you. What I do try to do though, is to count it with them as they are pulling the change from the register. Yes, if they gave extra, I would definately tell them and give it back.
default_yes.gif
:

I always give it back.

Because I have been a manager at various businesses before opening my own I know that many businesses take the loss out of the cashier's pay. Short drawers are added up daily and deducted by pay period. If you are living paycheck to paycheck that can really hurt them.

it has happened to me several times and i always give it back. I've worked a register, had my cash drawer come up short, and had the difference deducted from my pay... no way do i want someone to have to go through that!!! At the time i was barely earning enough to survive and that pay deduction forced me to go hungry so it really drove home the point that keeping that money could cause someone a lot of heartache.

That said, I do have to admit that I have got very careless about paying attention and it is highly likely I wouldn;t even notice until much later and by then I would have no idea who had given me too much change.

It has been and age since that has happened to us in this age of debit cards. It's BAD but I rarely have any actual cash on me!!! But, we did get too much change several times in the past and always gave the money right back. One time the cashier argued that she hadn't given us too much which didn't make us feel great about helping her out
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I always give it back.

I never pay cash- so next question- how many of you who use plastic actually know (roughly) how much your bill will be??

I bought a load of stuff in the "reduced to clear" shelf a while back- around Christmas time so the store was busy.

I stood in line for FIFTEEN minutes to get served and I was in a bit of a hurry- my cashier was SO slow.

Anyway long story short having made me wait 15 minutes he then proceeded to charge me full price for all the reduced items!!

So- I pointed out what he had done - on the bill- and he just looked at me blankly and told me to go to customer services!!

By the time I got there I was shaking I was so angry.

Poor man on the till took one look at my face- I was upset as well as angry- and just vetoed the whole bill- gave me all the reduced items free- now THAT I call "customer service"

But- how many would notice???

Last edited by a moderator:
Always give it back. I know that some companies deduct it from the cashiers pay but other companies have different ways of dealing with short tills.

The company that I work for will write a cashier up if they are more than $5 long or short and if it happens 3 times, they are fired. But, the cashiers also recieve a lot of training in how to count change back to the customer.

If I see a cashier just hand someone their change, I will talk to them the first couple of times but after that I will give them a verbal warning and if they still don't do it, they will get a written warning. Most of them are smart enough to realize that I am trying to help them.

I had a teller at the bank give me $100 too much once. I noticed after I got home and turned right around and took it back. I went inside the bank and asked to speak to him. When he came out to speak to me and I gave it back to him, he got kind of pale and told me it would have cost him his job.

As far as a teller shorting a customer, I have several times pulled a till and counted it to confirm that it was long and given the customer their money. Other times I have pulled a till and counted it and it was not long and the arguing customer found where they had just stuffed the money in their purse and not remembered the cashier giving it to them.

Mary

GIVE IT BACK! if you dont it is stealing because you know you werent owed it.

Lyn

Latest posts

Back