What do I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari

Reaction score
Hello all,

I used to have a field next to a busy (as busy as Podunk --er, Raymond, gets
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) road, but took down the fencing a while ago, because the neighbors were feeding the horses (carrots, apples, ears of corn, etc) and I didn't need the field.

Now, with six horses, I DO need the field. How do I stop unauthorized feeding?? :eek: It won't work to talk to them, I don't know who it is, could be people that don't even live near here. And, with me being "just that little girl in the wheelchair" it's difficlt to get them to take me seriously. :ugh:

Would signs work?? Or would people ignore them??

Please help me
default_smile.png

Kari

I think signs would certainly be a start. I don't know why people feel so comfortable approaching and feeding horses when I have never seen them come up into a yard to give someone else's dog a treat, but I would think "Do Not Feed the Horses" signs placed at intervals along the fence would deter at least some of the people. You might even consider a sign that says "Horses May Bite." Even though it may not be true, they'd probably be less likely to feed them if the people thought they were at risk.

Yes, I was thinking electric fencing, and probably will do that, but that won't stop them from throwing things in.....

Frustrating!!!

Maybe a few "These are ATTACK horses" signs...... :bgrin

Kari

[SIZE=14pt]i would try the DO NOT FEED THE HORSES sign, i live in N.Y. state and was told that if i put up a sign HORSES BITE or anything about biting that i could be more easily sued if someone was to get bit because by having the sign it was like admitting i knew i had "dangerous" animlas that bit :eek: , your state might be fine though. this year hasn't been so bad but past summers we would have cars full of people stopping with "treats", i have even had people send their kids under the fence to pet my 16.3h TWH
default_wacko.png
: . good luck, Nikki
[/SIZE]

I would definetly put up signs and I would let the local sherriff know as well because if they are feeding them without your permission then you dont know WHAT they are feeding them so they could potentially be feeding them things that they shouldnt have at all..

When my neighbors were feeding mine, I simply asked them not to because minis can get fat really quick and I was watching their weight. It worked with no hard feelings.

Lee

I'd do two things (well, three -- if you need to use an electric fence, do it.) One is to nicely contact the neighbors and tell them you are puting "Do Not Feed" signs up because your horses are on a specific diet plan dictated to you by your vet! And would they mind letting you know if they see anyone feeding them???

MA

Depending on the size of road frontage you have , maybe planting some very picky shrubs or trees along the fenceline or ditch area ? I know here our Barberry shrubs grow quickly and are horribly spiny. Or a privet hedge or pine or spruce trees.

Definately try the signs saying do not feed and as others suggested. I like MA's answer for getting the neighbors involved.

Also, if money is not an issue (not likely for most of us!) then I would try to double fence that area along the road. Place the first fence along the road as normal, and then place a second fence far enough away where the food is not likely to be reached easily. Make sure to leave the area large enough between the fences so that you can get any farm maintanance equipment in there (like riding lawn mowers) so that you can make it easier to maintain.

Hi Kari,

I would put up several signs, and I would be more specific than just PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE HORSES.

I would spell out for the well-meaning but ignorant feeders just how harmful this can be.

Begin with:

(very large and bold):

PLEASE DO NOT

FEED THE HORSES

Then slightly smaller:

Don't kill them

with kindness!

then just large enough to read from their car

Our horses have sensitive stomachs

and are fed a very strict diet.

Any other food can cause them to colic and die.

THANK YOU!

Good luck!

I'd go with electric fencing too, but in the meantime, signs may help, especially if they warn of legal action being taken if one of your horses gets sick or dies from eating unsuitable food!

This is what I did when I had this problem:

I had two fences back to back.

The first fence that was by the road was all those single rods and hot wire. 4 strands. Very cheap to do. Put up in a couple of hours.

Then, the fence behind that was my real horse fence. With hot wire on that one too. It was about 3 or 4 feet back from the first one.

No more problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahhahaa FloridaChic!!! That was my first thought too!!!!!!!

Susanne...I like your idea alot!!!! I was thinking you could put that they have food allergies that can cause sickness/death etc. and something about security camera's. And then if caught feeding on camera, sheriff will be notified and they would be resposible for all vet charges.

I know it would be a long sign but if they are taking the time to walk up there and feed them...I bet they would take the time to read it. We have security camera's all over our property. Even if you don't have any camera's, there is no harm in saying that you do.

I like Miniv's reply too! I would certainly get an electric fence up, and also hang signs, and mention it to your neighbors too.

I was thinking...

1) Prickly plant privacy hedge directly by road

2) Nice solid no-climb horse fence or chain link behind the shrubs, reinforcing them and also keeping your horses/dogs/invited guests safely out of the plants.

3) Double-fencing. Make the pasture fence short of the perimeter fence as others have suggested.

4) Where the hedge ends at your driveway (assuming the pasture borders the drive), hang a sign exactly as Susanne suggested on the fence. People ignore threatening warning signs, but those who love animals enough to come feed yours might actually care that your horses have supposed allergies or risk of illness from being fed. (Don't assume they know what colic is, just say they might "get sick.") You might also post something about visits by appointment so if they REALLY want to come meet the horses, they know there's a non-clandestine way to do it other than sneaking through all those fences.
default_wink.png
:

I've always loved the warning sign that says "Please do not feed fingers to the horses!" None of the threat of a "Horses May Bite" sign with the same implication. :bgrin

Leia

I would put up signs that say something like; feeding them things other than their regular diets could harm the horses. It might help. Personally, I have started Black Berry bushes on my back fence.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas, everyone!

I like the double-fencing, and Susanne, THANK YOU! Great sign idea -- I'll make one at buildasign.com

Great idea about getting the neighbors to help. I think a couple will be willing...

Kari

I think all your ideas are great, but here's another we've used over the years & people who are interested enough to stop & "feed" the horses, leave here with a new understanding and appreciation for them. Some folks have even ended up by coming back & eventually BUYING one!

When I see someone outside the fence, extending their hand/hands to the horses (and mine are REAL friendly -- sometimes there's a swarm of horses surrounding an outside visitor across the fence), I come out of the house/barn & invite the people to come in & see the horses. Sometimes, it is a half-hour or more & admittedly, I don't always feel like being that friendly, but when you see how the people respond when they really get to touch & pet one, to be close up, WITHOUT feeding them, it's worth it.

And in the meantime, I can give them a little impromtu information on how the horses are so sensitive to anything they eat & how it has to be carefully monitored etc. People really do appreciate the knowledge & are apparently grateful for the chance to be the with little ones. Even just one that I've pulled out of the herd. The people can't thank me enough for the opportunity. And then they understand WHY they shouldn't feed them & since they are now in love, they'd never want to hurt them.

You can see that the visitors are pleased and enchanted with the little horses. And I've seen the same people (and their were many over the years) return at another time to the fence & only PET the horses, not feed them. Or just talk to them. It has worked well here. Just an idea..............

Latest posts

Back