What cues do you use-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Ok, I was just reading the post on training for obstacle and I was wondering what cues everyone else uses. I have taught my now 2 year old colt to pivot on the both the fore and the hind and he does well. I kiss for him to pivot on the forehand and click for him to pivot on the hindend. We are going to start on sidepassing soon and I was trying to come up with an easy comand for him to learn. Also, what is the best way to go about training to sidepass? I have been placing a hand on his shoulder and one on his hip and using pressure to teach him to step over, but I want him to learn to do this without my hands being there.

I woud love to see pictures of your horse doing obstacle as well.

Thanks in advance!

For a side pass I normally start on the left and place my right hand on the hip and my left on their shoulder. I'll then lightly push them and say "right side". Every time that they move to the right I take my hands off of them and give them a good scratch for a reward. If they lean back into me I will push a little harder and will not take my hands off of them until they move away to the right. I'll keep doing this until they learn to move to the right with no problems. After that I'll start using my hands less and less until they will "right side" with out being touched.

Then I will work on getting them to go to the left. I do it the same way except I say "left side" instead of "right side".

I also do not start them off going over a ground pole. I get them used to going to the side with out it and then when they are confident that they can do it I will slowly start having them side pass over a pole. This way they already know how to side pass, now they are just learning not to touch the pole. When I start out with the pole I first use a 1" pvc pipe and then work my way up to using a landscaping timber or a 4" x 4".

Hope this helps. And good luck with your baby.

I recently wrote a book about training and showing in halter obstacle that includes sidepassing and pivoting and much more that you might find helpful. It is called Training Miniature Peformance Horses: A Comprehensive Guide to Hunter, Jumper, and Halter Obstacle.

Once a horse learns how to pivot through verbal commands, I start to use the verbal commands less such that the horse learns to move off my body language alone. After practicing a lot, you will no longer need to kiss or cluck and the horse will follow just your body lanuage. This is very important if you want to compete. You are a awarded higher level of difficulty for minimal cues.

As for sidepassing, it is GREAT that you have taught the horse to pivot on the front and rear legs. That is very, very important. Now it will be much easier to get him to sidepass. Sidepassing is one of the harder things to teach your horse, but since he knows how to pivot you are already on the right track. To start off, give the command you plan to use for sidepassing and ask him to pivot 3 steps keeping his rear hoof in place and just moving the front hoof those 3 steps. Stop him and then ask him to pivot on his front and move his rear 3 steps. Reward him when he has done this simple task. Repeat this over and over slowly adding more 3 steps intervals at a time. The sidepass will look choppy at first, but that is okay! With a little practice he will be sidepassing as fast as you can walk! Just like Quaters said, don't worry about side-passing over a rail. Just get the sidepass down first and then you can practice sidepassing over poles and flower pots and such.

Good luck! :aktion033: If you have any questions feel free to PM!

Latest posts

Back