What colour is this girl?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
Well Dove is a yearling an her colour is STILL a mystery. I thought I had it down to a Black Sabino, but I think I'm seeing too much red and/or creme for that. I love her colour! But would like to know what it is
default_yes.gif

Parents are both "Grey" with an unknown base colour. When crossed with other horses, both have produced black foals that haven't faded grey.

Dove as a foal:

Feb022010-VID00109-2.jpg

Dove as a weanling:

Dove0003.jpg

Dove in her winter coat:

Is this a dun or a creme characteristic possibility:

IMG_9063.jpg

You can see the Sabino here:

IMG_9067.jpg

IMG_9064.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like fading black to me. When she is clipped her body will show black, but her mane and tail will need to be colored for show as it bleaches in the sun.

Totally agree with riverrose. Shes just bleached by the sun but is a black.

IDK but she is a real beauty. My little colt keeps changing color. Mom is a silver dapple/chocolate color, dad is a sorrel and white paint. He looked like his mother at first but now actually looks palimino.

I wouldnt discount her going grey. I had a colt one year that looked black and never showed any signs of greying. When he was clipped as a yearling there were a few white hairs but nothing major. MOre like some flecks in hips and thats it. It wasnt until the next year that it became very evidence he was going grey.

Black, not grey.

Also, many people register their horses as greys when they are actually silvers. Frustrating, but true.

I agree that it is a sabino as well.

Also, many people register their horses as greys when they are actually silvers. Frustrating, but true.

Very frustrating. You don't know how many horses in my horses' pedigrees are registered as grey when they're actually silver. For the longest time we thought our horses were greys. Nope. Silver appies.
rolleyes.gif

To the OP: I had a black colt look EXACTLY like your filly in the first picture. But, he shed out grey as a weanling. Your's however is black.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back