What color/pattern is he?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieB

Reaction score
I know very little about the pinto colors & the various patters & influences. I was just curious what you'd call him? Notice, he does have some speckling on his sides; rather paw printish, especially on his right side. Also, the strip of color over his rump is very roan. No blue eyes. Just curious what you think.

I'm just posting links to his pictures so the page doesn't come up slow.

Thanks.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/EllieBK/IM000078.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/EllieBK/IM000058.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/EllieBK/IM000074.jpg

I would say he is basically Tobiano. I would also think he may possibly be homozygous, but no way to know for sure, until you test. I once had a colt that had an unbelievable amount of pawprints. I would have bet my last dollar that he was homozygous....and that would have resulted in my losing my last dollar!
default_yes.gif
: I was VERY surprised to learn that he was not homozygous, once I got the test results back.

Also, the star on his face....many say that is a sabino trait.

The roany patch and the irregular jiggly edges of his pinto markings, white over the back hocks, plus the facial white, all scream sabino.

Does he have ANY white under the jaw or on the lower lip or chin? You'll have to lie on your back to see it!!!! LOL

So he is Tobiano plus Sabino.

Could also be a splash carrier but it doesn't jump out at me.

I agree -- Tobiano with possibley Sabino thrown in.

Are both of his parents pinto??? If so, from the pawprints with in his white, it would be interesting to find out if he is indeed homozygous.....like Mona suggested.

He's a cute boy!

MA

Thank you all for your responses
default_smile.png

I didn't think to look under his jaw or chin. I'll have to do that tomorrow & try not to get stepped on. lol

I don't know what his parents' colors were. There were some special circumstances as to why I ended up getting him. If you want to look in AMHA and see what their colors & bloodlines are, that would be wonderful! I've sent his AMHA application in, but until that comes back I don't even know his bloodlines.

His sire is Kohlman's Blue Boys Luckey Mark ll. #A52388. His Dam is Northview Ima Honey. #A24902.

When I got him, he was terrified of people & would try to go through the roundpen to get away if anyone came in the pen with him. I've only had him for a week & he'll already come sneaking up behind me & poke me with his nose to get me to turn around & scratch all his itchy spots for him. He's turning into a sweety
default_wub.png
:

Thank you all for your responses
default_smile.png

I didn't think to look under his jaw or chin. I'll have to do that tomorrow & try not to get stepped on. lol

I don't know what his parents' colors were. There were some special circumstances as to why I ended up getting him. If you want to look in AMHA and see what their colors & bloodlines are, that would be wonderful! I've sent his AMHA application in, but until that comes back I don't even know his bloodlines.

His sire is Kohlman's Blue Boys Luckey Mark ll. #A52388. His Dam is Northview Ima Honey. #A24902.

When I got him, he was terrified of people & would try to go through the roundpen to get away if anyone came in the pen with him. I've only had him for a week & he'll already come sneaking up behind me & poke me with his nose to get me to turn around & scratch all his itchy spots for him. He's turning into a sweety
default_wub.png
:

Well, according to the Studbook, his sire is a sorrel pinto, but dam is a solid sorrel. BUT, that said, it may not be a true indicator of her actual color pattern. She maybe be a very minimal pinto, and the owner registered her as solid. Or, she might be the solid sorrel that she is registered as, and the colt just has pawprints. The AMHA does not list "markings" on the studbook, so there is no way of knowing if her markings would qualify her as a pinto or not.

Sounds like you are doing great with him, and he is coming along well! :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
ok this may sound like a dumb question... on Tonto's papers it say's Sorrel Pinto, Now does this mean he is

Tobiano ??
Being listed Sorrel Pinto in the Studbook (or on the papers) only means that he is sorrel with some white on his body. That could be from any of the pinto patterns. The Studbook does not distinguish between them. From your pictures, I would say he is Tobiano + one (or more) of the other patterns.

Last edited by a moderator:
When his shots come up (in March) I'm going to get him tested for Homozygus (what ever they call it).

and would love to see if he'd pass the horse shoe marking. Every one calls it his lucky shoe! What other tests should I get? DNA?

When his shots come up (in March) I'm going to get him tested for Homozygus (what ever they call it).

and would love to see if he'd pass the horse shoe marking. Every one calls it his lucky shoe! What other tests should I get? DNA?

The testing sample can be taken by you...no need for a vet. The DNA needed for homozygous testing can be obtained from the mane hairs. You just need to pull a sample as you would for AMHA DNA testing and send it off to the lab for testing.

He actually looks Tobiano + Splash to me. I think there must be Sabino as well, as he has dark eyes, although he does not have to have blue eyes to be Splash!!

I think it unlikely that he will be H/Z.

Hey Lauralee, I looked under his chin & jaw today. Nope, no white.

Thanks again for your responses and Mona, thank you for the information
default_smile.png

Does any white on the face indicate sabino? What if it's no face white but a small lip snip?

I find a lip snip often is indicative of minimal Splash, if there is indication of blue eyes as well- a line of blue, a partial or full blue, but Splash does not have to have blue eyes, it is only usual not essential.

Sabino tends to leave some white on the face that is joined to the lower white. Again this is not essential, only usual!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back