What can you do with a non registered Miniature Colt?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLover2006

Reaction score
I was looking through the miniature horse ads and I came across the ad that really interested me. It was for a 32" Buckskin colt that was born on April 1st, 2005. When he was a suckling when he injured his left eye(ran into a fence) and it now has cloudy scratches on it. He isn't registered now, but I would like to get him registered through the AMHA Because both his parents are registered and are very pretty. They are only asking $300.00. Is he worth it?

My only thing is how much would it cost to register him?

And if I don't register him could he still be a breeding stallion. I am not saying breeding him now, but when he gets older.

My other thing is that I want to see what he will look like when he gets older.

What can you do with a non registered colt/stallion?

Thanks so much!

if he were not registered he would make a nice driving gelding possibly, depending on his attitude and action. i would look into registering him AMHA. if he is top stallion quality, and able to be registered, keeping him to breed would be fine--the eye scratches will not affect his ability to sire foals.

jennifer :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, he is a very pretty boy! I would geld him. Why have an okay stallion when you can have an AWESOME gelding?
default_yes.gif
:

I think if you registered him he would make a nice little show gelding! Go to amha.org for all the registering prices.

That is awfully big as a yearling??

Why is he not registered already? Does the ad say he goes with no papers? Are the papers obtainable at all? Sounds like their price is probably as a non registered pet only.

If the owners will not send him with papers, or they cannot be obtained for some reason (papers on parents are not in order or stallion report not filed, etc...) he cannot be hardshipped into AMHA til he is five, at which time if he is too big- he cannot. No A papers, then no R papers either.

However, if you are looking for a nice gelding to drive and have fun with- sounds good. He could be shown at open shows if you have any in your area that have driving classes and could probably drive in CDE's and other things.

I would not bother with breeding an unregistered horse. (JMO)

Just wanted to add that I looked at his pics and he appears healthy and well taken care of! I think he would make an absolutely awesome gelding for driving!

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought is buy him, geld him, train him to drive (when old enough) and have a ball with open shows and CDEs; plus parades, perhaps nursing home visits. He looks like a very sweet boy. Let us know what you decide.

He isn't registered now, but I would like to get him registered through the AMHA Because both his parents are registered and are very pretty. They are only asking $300.00. Is he worth it?
If both his parents are registered, why isn't he? For $300 with "registered parents" I'd start thinking there was a darn good reason why he doesn't have papers. Ask that question flat-out and demand a straight answer on it. Could be like $100 or could be a lot more- or even impossible. Depends on what's going on.

For $300 unregistered, I'd say he's a nice deal. He looks cute and well-fed and has a kind face. If you're looking for just a nice pet I don't see how you can go wrong at $300.

If you're really looking for a future breeding stallion, you'll really need papers on him. "Pet breeders" might not care about papers, but if you're breeding foals for "the breed", buyers want papers 99% of the time.

She said that she thinks he is 32".

His Sire is only 31 1/4 inches and on her website it didn't say the dams height.....

Yeah he comes with no papers and I already contacted his breeder and they said that I could register him for $500........But I am wanting to become a member myself because I see my self very involved with these little guys...
default_smile.png

www.hairicane.com This is the website that has his sire and dam if you would like to check out.

Where exactyl do I go to see the registering prices on the amha.org website?

Littleum- Well I was told the reason why he doesn't have papers is because the breeders friend knew these little girls that were going through a rough time and had to sell there horses and the Breeder lady felt bad and gave them the colt for less than what they are asking for me to buy with no papers. They got him when he was 10 months old....I am guessing that he was meant to be a pet for them....

I guess it all depends on if he turns out to be a beautiful stallion but if he isn't stallion quality then I well geld him.

I do want to do nursing home visits with my mini's and shows in the future....

[SIZE=14pt]For what you want to do with him geld him.... he is a pretty colt but not stallion material. IMHO>[/SIZE]

If both parents are registrerd with amha you would have to file a late report, pay for parent qualifying and then the late registration fee. I dont think that would be 500.00. It would be 500 if you wait till he is 5 and hardship him as a gelding. 1200 as a stallion.

Lyn

I would first really be questioning the breeder why you cannot get papers with this guy. Maybe you could have a forum member check the studbooks and see if the parents name given actually exist and make sure the breeder isnt trying to fool you by saying both his parents are registered and just made up names. Timber Ridge (his sire) horses are pretty popular though.

I would have a forum member deffently check the studbooks on his sire and dam.
default_smile.png

He is very pretty. I have 1 grade miniature (my first miniature horse actually) and i drove him (not anylonger though, he doesnt enjoy it) and you can show at FAIRS!
default_yes.gif
:. At most county fairs they dont have rated AMHR/ASPC/AMHA shows (with exeptions of course) and the fairs actually pay. I paid $475 for my 31'' grade gelding as a 2 year old so i would say the price is very fair. He is very pretty to
default_smile.png

Hi,

Would someone like to check the studbook for me on these horses?

His sire is: Timber Ridges Classy Gold Ranger

His Dam: Sweetwaters Miss Sassy Supreme

Thanks so much.
default_smile.png

We don't have Miniature Horse or even horse shows at our County Fair anymore. They took down the beautiful riding arena and put up a stupid motor cross track for dirt bikes. They also took down the stalls and made them into a storage shed.......... :no: :no:

I really appreciate all the advice!
default_yes.gif
:

Well see I can get the papers but the breeder lady sold him to his new owner as a pet and now she is selling him to maybe me....
default_wacko.png
:

If the breeder sold the colt as a pet without papers than they may not want to provide papers to you if you buy him. He is very nice looking but if you think you may want to show at rated AMHA or AMHR shows you might want to just save your pennies and buy something already registered. Many people will sell colts on a gelding contract or geldings for reasonable prices although not as cheap as this non registered boy. Good luck.

OK I thought you understood what I was telling u but I guess I was not clear. I bred the colt and pretty much gave him away as stated on here before to 2 little girls as they were horse lovers that had to get rid of their horses because of death or divorce, something bad. Thats one of the young girls pictured with the colt. I didnt give them papers with him. Now you want to buy him. I said I will supply a reg. application for the amounts listed below and I also quoted the price of hardshipping him with amha at 5 years old.

"The price to me would be $500 so u can amha reg. him. Or u can hardship him into amha for 1241$. If u have him gelded I will supply his reg. appl. for $200."

That would still only be a total cost of 800$ plus a nominal amount for actual reg. if u keep him a stallion or only 500$ as a gelding. That is a very reasonable price for him either way. As the breeder of the horse I am the only one that can actually get him registered. I am not in the habit of giving away registered horses and if u are going to be raising horses u want to start with the best quality you can buy not the cheapest horse u can find. Im not saying he isnt a nice horse, he is well bred but I have not seen him since he was a foal so I cant really say for sure what his quality is now. Good luck with your decision.

Oh wanted to say thats his sire Ranger in my avatar. Ranger has since been sold out of the country so there will be no more of his foals here.

Three hundred is so cheap for a horse... One thing to keep in mind is that the REAL cost of getting a horse is taking care of the horse. It is not any more expensive to care for a top quality horse than an average quality one. I haven't looked at this boys pictures, though, because it's not fair to hold something out for evaluation when it belongs to someone else.

That said, for my money and time, I think I'd look for a horse without an eye injury and with the paperwork already lined up. If you look, you can find low priced, nice, registered colts fairly easily.

I think I would pay the $500 and have a nice little gelding!!! That is a good price for a registered gelding!!

-Amy

Well first off without reading more then the first couple of responses I realize you are wanting opinions but it isnt ok to post a horse that you dont own when people will give crituques (one of the forum rules) maybe asking for emails or PM when it come to discusing or crituquing him might be best.

That said I wouldnt let a eye injury stop me if I liked the horse. Heck we had a horse in the barn (big horse) with one eye and he still jumped and did all the equatation classes with no problems.

If you are asking me personally i would geld him for the simple reason that most change there minds as to what they want to breed for and where they want to go after owning minis for a while so this way you can start off with a gelding and learn and have fun.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am sorry, I didn't know I couldn't post a picture of a horse or ask for an opinions that I may be getting. I am use to my other horsey forum where I can do that........sorry.
default_sad.png

I have heard allot about "Hardship" a miniature horse. But what does it mean exactly? I tried to do research about it but I didn't come up with much......

hairicane- I understand what you meant...I just put it in my own words.......If I don't like the way this colt turns out then I will have him gelded and register him as a gelding.......
default_yes.gif
:

Hello......Never mind about the hardship. I figured that out.
default_smile.png

hairicane- How tall do you think this colt will turn out to be?

Thanks so much....

Make your life easier. Geld him and register him as a gelding. Have fun with him, and then once you've bought yourself a few mares, go invest a couple thousand in a nice stallion.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back