What are Hay prices like

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In mid February paid $9.00 a bale delivered and stacked in my loft,

for a ton of 2nd cutting Eastern Washington Orchard Grass.

1st cutting was, she said, $8.50....

I tried a hay, to tide me over till her truck arrived, called Teff Hay, @ $8.00 a bale

I was getting low, while waiting for the delivery and I mixed this in with

their regular hay, to make it last. She was trying to see if there would be

a call to keep it in stock.

The horses loved it, it was 'pretty' hay, smelled great. I was horribly

allergic to it. But that's me....

Praying for a good growing season this year and that it doesn't get shipped

far away to foreign buyers.

I just paid $12.25 a bale for alfalfa in Northern CA and this is the area where it's grown. The bales are heavy well over 100lbs, possibly closer to 120 lbs. We don't weigh our hay so I'm not sure on weight.

Much of the hay here is grown for the dairy industry, but I've never asked the feed store what the difference is between the dairy hay alfafa and the equine stuff - I always supposed coarser and if it was moldy not going to affect the 4 chamber stomachs like it would the horses's stomach.

$3.00 a bale timothy/alfalfa/grass mix.

Wow- can't imagine filling my barn with hay at costs like that in other parts of the US... :no:

Denise

Silversong Farm

Here in Canada,Manitoba I can get all year around timothy/brom/alfalfa mixed for 40.00 and the bail is very big can only fit one in hubbys truck apx a little over 900 pounds and the only draw back is I have to seperate the flakes and put it in my shed. with 3 minis now 1 bail goes a long way and so does 1 flake.They really love the droppings from the flakes and gobble it all up fast.

As for straw well we have 1 farmer down the road that sells a bale for .50 cents - to bad I do not use straw because my minis try to eat it so I stopped using straw for bedding.But we do get from him for the winter a put it over our septic field.

I just paid $12.25 a bale for alfalfa in Northern CA and this is the area where it's grown. The bales are heavy well over 100lbs, possibly closer to 120 lbs. We don't weigh our hay so I'm not sure on weight.

Much of the hay here is grown for the dairy industry, but I've never asked the feed store what the difference is between the dairy hay alfafa and the equine stuff - I always supposed coarser and if it was moldy not going to affect the 4 chamber stomachs like it would the horses's stomach.
I am not sure of the difference, I know the stuff I get that is dairy cow hay is awesome. It is well kept, completely mold free, smells great and is a good color. The most I've ever found in a bale of hay from him, other than hay, is an occasional snake skin, and that is usually on the ouside of the bale, just from contact.

I've heard horror stories on Lil beginnings about the stuff found in the hay bales!

Promise

I just got 30 bales of shed stored grass hay. About 40 to 45 pound bales Nice sized ones. nice fine grass. And paid 2 Bucks a bale. Good stuff also.

I pay 9.00 for T/A delivered I believe he gets it from canada, we have coastal here but I'm not crazy about it, it runs about 5 to 6.00 a bale. We also have a tifton that is courser but is hard to find. This is Florida prices. Kathy

The most I've ever paid was $4 a bale (Cdn) this summer for THE BEST hay I've ever seen. It was before the new years hay was coming out, everyones stocks were dried up from a winter of feeding their own animals and they were bales so heavy I could hardly lift them- I'm thinking about 60-70lbs. Other than that I've paid between $1.75 and $3.00 a bale for nice big bales.

I have paid anywhere betwenn $2.00 and $4.50/bale of alfalfa mix hay. Also pay almost as much for straw bales! I just bought 20 bales and it cost me $2.50/bale. I am in Northwestern Ontario.

I should also add...we buy and have bought from this same dairy farmer for several years now. We could probably shop around and find it for less, but he has been very good to us over the years. He always has nice clean hay and if ever I do find a bad bale, just need to tell him and he'll replace it. I have never done so!

I pay for a set number of bales in the Fall, and he lets us store it in his barn, and we pick up loads as needed throughout the winter, so we really don't mind paying a little more from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just recently paid $99 for 10 small square bales weighing between 50 to 100#s for Alfalfa/Timothy hay. The person I buy it from has the best, softest hay around and it seems like my horses will never turn their noses down to his hay but will if I buy here locally. So willing to pay more.

Latest posts

Back