What are Hay prices like

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I was calling around and I got quates for different types of hay. I've read in a couple postings by you guys how much you pay. They all seem much cheaper :eek: !!! (That's just not fair
default_crybaby.gif
: ) Anyways, I guess that's just a part of living in Southern California. At my local feed stores, these are the cheapest prices I got per bale.

Alfalfa/Bermuda $10.99

Bermuda $11.99

Alfalfa $12.25

Oat/Barley $12.75

Orchard $14.99

Timothy $16.99

What prices do you guys pay and where is your location?

I have been paying $15. a bale for orchard in 3 string bales--about 90#

Just got 2 string -probably 65# bales for $11.50.

Having trouble here in western Wash. getting hay in from the East side. Sorry Rob as we are stealing the hay you guys need!

What size are the bales? I do know that southern California is expensive for hay, but there is also a huge difference in the size (weight) of bales, anywhere from forty pounds to 150 pounds. We buy our hay by the ton, and it ranges from $125 to $195 a ton, depending on where we get it from and what kind of hay it is. That makes our bales (about 75 pound bales) cost from $4.60 to $7.50 a bale.

I pay $22 for a 3 string Orchard Grass (or pure Alfalfa - or mixed - your choice same cost) bale - ours are over #100 maybe #125 pounds - my husband and I together can hardly lift it.

Beautiful hay however - and the horses don't waste a drop of it.

[SIZE=10pt]35.00 per round bale, these bales are large too. One lasts appr. one month in the winter time. That takes care of one riding horse, three mini's and one smaller donkey. It is delivered as well. We concider ourselves fortunate![/SIZE]

Lori

I was calling around and I got quates for different types of hay. I've read in a couple postings by you guys how much you pay. They all seem much cheaper :eek: !!! (That's just not fair
default_crybaby.gif
: ) Anyways, I guess that's just a part of living in Southern California. At my local feed stores, these are the cheapest prices I got per bale.

Alfalfa/Bermuda $10.99

Bermuda $11.99

Alfalfa $12.25

Oat/Barley $12.75

Orchard $14.99

Timothy $16.99

What prices do you guys pay and where is your location?
Ontario Canada 2 string bales of nice hay, both first and second cuts are priced $2.00 a bale.

Straw $1.00 a bale or if we have the tractor and baler it's free!

2nd cutting Alfalfa/Grass 2.00 (60-65lbs)

3rd cutting Grass 3.00 (40-50lbs)

We were paying $2.25 for 2nd alfalfa, we just got the last load of that until baling time, and we just found a alfalfa/brome/timothy for 1.50 a bale. These are about 65# maybe #70 lbs. We were lucky though I know some people have been paying $4.00 and up around here!! I guess we need to bring a truck load of hay out to you guys on the west side!!
default_smile.png

Yes please send some of that nice timothy, etc. on over here. Guess the gas prices havent helped the pricing much either!

We grow our own hay, but I have a couple with special needs, so I bought 15 straight grass bales not too long ago. I paid about $2.25/bale for about 60# bales, but it was of so-so quality.

Roundbales go for around $50-60/ton around here for grass/alfalfa mix.

When I was in Colorado I paid $140 for good mountain meadow grown timothy hay, put up in 2-wire 90# bales; it was the best hay I've ever bought, the horses ate every last bite (that was 8 years ago, so I'm sure the price has gone up since then). While in CO, I also bought good grass hay from the Front Range area around Loveland and it was $110/ton in 55-60# bales and he delivered (used a bale wagon and only had to move it 3 miles, or it would have cost me extra).

I just bought 15 bales on Wednesday for $1.75/bale. I was shocked to find out that it was from the 2004 cutting season because it was still very green and smelled wonderful!!! I'm going to get some from another guy (the first guy got bought out the day before, but saved some for me because I had told him I wanted some a few days before) this weekend. Its' also still green/nice, but its $3.00/bale. Hay is getting extremely sparse around this area, so I'm trying to stock up enough to make it through til the first cut of the year.

BTW I live in Scappoose, Oregon (Portland area)

Erin

I'm south of you and are prices are about the same.
default_yes.gif
:

Liz R.

I don't buy in large volume; no storage area. I pay $7.50 for nice quality coastal about 70 lb bales. I have paid as high as $8.00 and it was trash; had to hand pick it every am and pm before I would give it my 2 minis; finally found some good quality. Hay has been a serious issue here in southeast Tx along with many other areas. I think some of our normal providers sent their hay to Louisiana to help out in that desparate situation; so it has made it a little worse. The price of timothy down here is over $20.00 a bale; it is not grown locally.

In our area:

Good Timothy from CO is going for about $9.50 for a 75-80# bale

I just got some alfalfa, last year's, delivered and stacked for $6.50/bale. They are very leafy, FINE stem, and weigh about 70#.

The Fescue/K31 grown locally is going for about $6.50 now. It isn't that great.

Well...I see some of you pay close to what we do here on the west coast. But it still amazes me that some of you only pay a couple dollars per able. WOW!!!

Well...I see some of you pay close to what we do here on the west coast. But it still amazes me that some of you only pay a couple dollars per able. WOW!!!
It really comes down to supply and demand... Some areas have large hay fields and less demand, so lower prices; other areas have smaller hay fields and a greater demand. I'm in the middle of farm and ranch country, in the middle of nowhere; alot of people put up their own hay for their horses and cattle, so not a great demand for hay. When I went to college; there was more people and less available land, so the hay prices were almost twice what they are here. There are other factors that affect price, but I can't name them off the top of my head.
default_wacko.png
:

Here in north western CT, we are paying 3.50 @bale for 2nd cutting timothy/grass mix 50-60lb 2 string bales -or- $4 @ bale delivered - we also purchase the same from the Youth Agency (they run a small cooperative) at $3 bale until they run out!

We feed 12 bales a day plus a complete feed for all our horses big and small. I have used round bales in the past by on Vet's advice no longer use them - then I was buying 700 lb timothy/grass square bales at $65 each but handling them is a nightmare - even with the full size tractor

I guess I am truely blessed. We have been getting our hay from a dairy cattle farmer for years. It is a timothy mix, he only does one cutting per summer in mid summer (owns a bunch of fields) and charges $45 a bale for a 600-700 pound bale. The bales are the large rectangular 7 + foot bales.

Promise

Arggghhhh! I am in North Central Texas, and I'm still choking on what I paid for 2 round bales yesterday. I ran out of the 15.00 have it baled myself roundbales, and waited until the last minute to get some more.

I paid 177.50 to have 2 round bales delivered. 80.00 each, 7.50 delivery fee each, and 2.50 gas....from 4 miles away. Killed me to write that check. Then we had a storm with high winds, and I had to watch as some of the "gold plated" hay just blew away!

I can buy the 3 string 110 lb square bales for 15.00, but the hay is so short, it falls apart when I try to pick it up. Cant get half of it into the pen because the other half falls onto the ground as I walk. I will be glad when my grass grows and I can have my own hay baled!

Latest posts

Back