what about leasing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDMminis

Reaction score
I had posted about learning more before buying a miniature and I just had a thought, what about leasing? In stead of just reading and researching how about hands-on experience? I could lease with option to buy or just lease to get more experienced with showing and the breed. With out having to come up with a couple grand right away. Has anybody tried this before? If so was It to your advantage or leave nothing to gain? I think It would be kind of a good practice run, when ever things get bad hand It back
default_laugh.png
lol. But I'm just browsing my options and I figured why not? People with big horses do it all the time, specially youths to gain riding/showing exp. But I wasn't sure If Mini people even did this, or If It would be a good Idea to do. Any thoughts?
default_smile.png

I leased a gelding with an option to buy, ended up buying him after a few months...yes alot of people are willing to lease out show geldings or broodmares or stallion...you should not have any trouble finding someone interested in leasing a horse..especially with the prices of hay and grain
default_smile.png

I leased a gelding with an option to buy, ended up buying him after a few months...yes alot of people are willing to lease out show geldings or broodmares or stallion...you should not have any trouble finding someone interested in leasing a horse..especially with the prices of hay and grain
default_smile.png

How much did you pay per month to lease him? Was It at your own place or did you have to keep him there. I'll look around and see If I can e-mail any farms that would allow It.

I have done it a few times, leased mares with the option to buy, making small monthly payments, Have leased a mare with the cost of lease being returning her in foal. I carried insurance on her with the owner as loss payee for a contracted amount. I am doing it now. No cost just caring for the mare.

There are lots of ways to do this but you need a contract no matter how close you and the owner are. Spell everything out as to who is responsible for what and , what the payment would be should you decide to purchase the horse. We have done both mares and stallions this way, not geldings.

Lyn

Leasing horses can go both ways, good or bad depending on the needs, desires and morals of either party. If there are any miniature horse farms that show in your area you may find it helpful to show with them for a season, regardless of if you lease a particular horse from them or just spend time at their place working horses and going to shows. Many farms would love a second (or third or fourth!) handler at shows- for example if they want to show several horses in the same class. Its also great to have another set of hands around the farm for working horses, to take not only the time crunch off them, but it also allows several horses to be worked at once, thus improving their behavior and concentration at shows (if a horse is only ever worked alone at home cause there is only one person avaliable to train it then the show ring can be overwelming!).

I showed like this for many years as a kid, usually with a different barn and breed almost every summer. Everything from Draft horses, to driving ponies, to haflingers, and "run of the mill" english and western riding horses. Its an AWESOME way to gain experience inexpensively. I quite often was treated to free room and board at shows in exchange for grooming and handling horses at the grounds and between shows. I always declined any actual pay from any of the farms I "apprenticed" at but was offered several times. I never said no to good home cooking or a place to crash at a show though! LOL And I was often offered the exclusive use of one or several horses as my own "projects" to show and was usally welcome to keep them at the farm or take them home, during the show or off season. I usually picked a favorite or two to dote on, but worked with as many horses as I was allowed. I never took up the offer to take a horse or pony home, mostly because my facilities weren't set up for the type of horses I was offered!

We have leased two horses out for showing......one was a gelding and the other a stallion. Both were to people we knew well, but we still wrote up a lease contract, which the registries require for showing or breeding purposes, anyway. With both of those situations, we did not request payment, but they provided full care.

In both instances the horses were insured.........which I think is important. And for the gelding, who won money from our North West Club Gelding Incentive Fund, we received the check as owner, but signed it over to the family who actually "earned" it.

As for a breeding lease of a mare........We have done that three times now, also with friends. With one mare's foal we are sharing ownership. With the other two mares -- the first year we sold the foals for the owner, and the second year we sold the foals for us. Some people prefer to pay the mare's owner a monthly fee or an annual fee, instead.....That's where a contract is probably helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I've posted an ad on the classified board as well. I'd love to help out at a local farm showing and earning knowledge. I think working beside a confident shower/breeder would really help my own confidence In the ring, experience and just overall learn about what Is winning, first hand lol. Thanks
default_smile.png

It's too bad you live so far away, I'd free lease (you pay for the vet and farrier) my 2. But alas I live in Massachusetts.

Christy

It's too bad you live so far away, I'd free lease (you pay for the vet and farrier) my 2. But alas I live in Massachusetts.Christy
lol, yeah I've had a lot of those. Really nice horses, just really far away
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back