West Nile Vaccines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rubymtminis

We have vaccinated our big horses for West Nile for Years. I vaguely remember someone posting on here the type of West Nile Vaccines to NOT use, could someone let me know which brand, type and why for minis? The question comes up mostly because a new feed store in our town recently opened, we are remote, and they carry Merial vaccine. The lady there said if I have used other WNV vaccines in the past, I woul have to start all over with the Merial using a booster shot. Could someone set me straight before spring hits? Thank you

We have vaccinated our big horses for West Nile for Years. I vaguely remember someone posting on here the type of West Nile Vaccines to NOT use, could someone let me know which brand, type and why for minis? The question comes up mostly because a new feed store in our town recently opened, we are remote, and they carry Merial vaccine. The lady there said if I have used other WNV vaccines in the past, I woul have to start all over with the Merial using a booster shot. Could someone set me straight before spring hits? Thank you
Merial is a good vaccine, and yes, she is correct in telling you that you would have to give 2 doses initially, then one annually after that. There is a fairly new one out, and I cannot remember the name of it, but it needs only one dose annually, and no booster the first time around.

Actually, no, you don't need 2 doses of Merial if you have used the Fort Dodge vaccine before--one is all that is necessary. If the horse hasn't had any WNV vaccine before, then 2 are required the first year. At least that is the info I got from our vet the year we switched to Merial after using FD the first couple years--and she double checked with Merial before she told me that.

We used the original Fort Dodge WNV vaccine in 2003 and 2004, then in '05 Merial was available here so we switched to that, since it was supposed to be a better vaccine. We were not impressed, and since then have gone back to Fort Dodge, though since then we have been using the combo shot, which has WNV, tetanus, EEE and WEE. The combo shot is actually all that is available in most of the vet clinics here. The new Prevenile vaccine was available from one or two clinics this year but only by special order, and we didn't bother with it. Prevenile is supposed to give better immunity for longer (the full year) but in this area our mosquito season is quite short and the FD gives sufficient protection--we don't have to give a second vaccine after 6 months, because by then it's winter & the bugs are gone!

OOPS, I stand corrected. As long as the horse was FULLY vaccinated according to the FD specifications, with the initial dose and the follow up booster at the recommended intervals, and then boostered to keep the horse current, then yes, I guess one shot of the Merial Recombitek WILL work. However, if the horse has only had only one FD or is not current on the vaccination schedule, then you will need two of Recombitek.

I found a very helpful article here.

Actually, yes, you do have to booster if you change brands. The WN vaccines work differently from each other and need to be treated as if they were the first vaccines given.

I would NOT recommend Fort Dodge's vaccine... its "old" and while still good, there is far better out there now. This vaccine requires two initial boosters then boosters every three months during the bug season.

Merial Recombitek WN is a very good vaccine, relatively new, and is annual. After an initial booster 30 days after the first shot, its an once-a-year shot.

Prevenile, a brand new Chimera vaccine, is a one shot per year vaccine, no booster required. This is the vaccine I'd recommend for all horses, big or little. My horses were all initially done with Fort Dodge, redone with Recombitek last year, and switched to Prevenile this year, and will continue on the new vaccine.

When I used the Merial, my vet advised I did NOT have to use 2 doses as my horses were fully vaccinated previously with the Fort Dodge version. That was years ago and I've since been using the Fort Dodge combo shot and plan to use that one again this coming season.

Just one thing to throw out when it comes to buying shots from feed or tack stores, I always worry they have not property stored the vaccine. We order ours from one of the places below and use overnight shipping. I feel that's a surer way to be sure I'm not using something that set out on a counter over night, etc.

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/

http://www.allivet.com/

http://www.horsewarehouse.com/

http://www.kvvet.com

Good luck
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back