We're back from the vet with "IT" !!! YAY!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Ok we made it into the vet this morning and he met us there.

It's weak, but I don't think IT'S about to die anymore.

IT wants to bounce back.

IT has a virus. A virus that is not unusual to be found in kittens. The virus has a name, I forgot it already. The vet says it is just going to run it's course and he can't treat the virus itself. But we have medicine to put in IT's eyes and some antibiotics also that It needs to fight the bacteria from the virus.

He said IT is too sick to be giving vaccines right now. We have to bring IT back to the office in 1 week to start those and at that time, take an Aids test and feline leukemia test, but not right now.

He was able to de-worm. I think he said he used pyrantel?

He said it's a good thing Dan bathed IT because IT was looking anemic. So we have to bath IT every single day to be sure we keep the fleas off and the flea dirt etc.

He wants IT on a good diet so we stopped at the store and bought some Fancy Feast, and a variety of other cat foods on the way home. No more Oscar Myer bun size beef franks....OK.

Since this looks like this is IT, I invested in a little pink baby blanket, a kitty litter box, and a cute little bowl on the way home. Oh yes, and a little toy rattle......

Soon as we can, we want to find IT a little pink rhinestone collar or something since IT is now officially an indoor kitty........something that I said would NEVER happen in this house because two dogs are enough in here and I am highly allergic to cats. But what's a mother to do? If IT stayed out in the hay room, the other healthy litter of kittens would have caught this virus. And also, IT is too little to have been able to survive outside like a barn cat.

We just got home and Michael just gave IT a bath and it's medicines and is rocking IT to sleep with IT's rattle. IT likes the rattle.

MichaelandIT.jpg

MichaelandIT2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is fantastic news, and I am so happy. Just to mention though that Fancy Feast is NOT a good feed for cats. Although I do give my 2 full grown cats this, 1/4 can each in the morning and night, I know it is basically "junk food" for them. It is given as a treat. Keep the pictures coming.

I'm glad IT is still with us. Poor little thing. It sure has had a tough little road to hoe. I'm glad it has a great place where it's getting the love and attention it needs to be the fighter it is. (I really do think it's a she, but IT is a great name for her.)

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

MA

Chlamydia- Cat Flue- Marty I thought you knew she had this??

The biggest problem is that once they have it they have it for life and can infect all other cats with it.

I have to say that, hard though it seems, I do not get kittens through this, I put them down.

The chances are, I am afraid, that she will die, whatever you do.

Make sure everyone washes their hands well after dealing with her and before going to the barn where the other kittens are- chances are they will get it or will be immune by now, anyway, though.

Nothing else can catch it from her- only Cats.

Good to hear the little kit is doing better. Although Fancy Feast is not a good maintenance diet give her as much as she'll eat so she can get her strength back. She can eat the more healthy, less palatable stuff when she's up to snuff again.

We had a kitten that had the same common virus, treated the same as your vet is doing but he was dehydrated so he filled his little body up with fluids. Looked ugly but he absorbed it right up and was feeling good in no time. That was my Ki, 20 years ago. I just lost my sweet boy to you guessed it--old age. Not bad, I think, for a half dead kitty.

Good luck with your kitty, I think Michael's love alone could keep that little one going.

PS I hope you give her a real name, not just "it" She needs a real identity.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited:
Marty-

Sure am glad to hear the good news. I would suggest getting "IT" on a ktten food. I bred Persians for 15 years and my food of choice was Iams. Some of my cats ate it dry - some I soaked the food in water for a little bit and they ate it that way. Ten days ago I lost my the last Persian I had bred - she was almost 17 years old. With the exception of her show years, she never ate anything but soaked Iams.

Good luck and keep us posted - Michael is sure a great foster mom.

Barbie

Chlamydia

That's not the name of the virus that the vet gave us thank God. The vet didn't say anything like she was going to die and that she was contageous to other cats. He just said that she was sick with a common virus and it was running it's course. He would have told me ???

OK I have Fancy Feast, Kitten Chow, and Meow Mix. I'll get more better stuff. Right now I"ll be happy to get her to eat anything that she can chew so she won't be hungry.
default_yes.gif
: :new_multi: :new_multi: :new_multi:

Michael says she's nocturnal. Sleeping all day and has him up all night :lol:

Oh Marty, I'm so glad that "IT" is doing better. Now that you have all this stuff she really needs a name
default_yes.gif
: . Thanks for the updates, we're all rooting for her to pull through with flying colors
default_wub.png
:

Marty, soak the Kitten chow in some of the milk replacer. It may not be quite as good as the Iams but she will prolly eat it with no fuss. The kitten milk and chow has a higher calorie content than the canned feed and she need that to get over the virus, That plus the love she is getting should do the trick. We used to raise siamese and persians and i had to keep both feeds on hand because some kitts just wouldn't take to the Iams. Best of Luck and give Micheal a hug for me too.

:aktion033: :aktion033: I'm so glad "IT" is doing better. "IT" is going to get a complex if "IT" doesn't get a real name.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Michael makes a good momma.

If "IT" still isn't eating get some pureed turkey baby food. It is high nutrition and I have used it for sick animals in the past. My vet uses it up at the clinic if someone is not eating/feeling well.

Robin

She is so cute!!! You better stop calling her it because I can tell you one thing about cats, and that is the do hold grudges!!! I can just see her know, sharpening claws on your furniture, peeing in your shoes, etc... all because you called her it! :bgrin

[SIZE=14pt]So glad to hear IT is doing better!!! And if the girls of Tennessee see those wonderful photos of Michael and his kitten, they will be RUNNING up the mountain to snatch him up!!!! Girls can't resist a soft heart! [/SIZE]

Marty, the *really* good stuff is on it's way! the commercial stuff will get her by until then!

I'm glad it's doing better! I'm a sucker for cats thats why I have so many :new_shocked: A common kitten viral disease is upper respitory infection, we see URI alot in my clinic and like your doc says it will run it's course you just need to keep her hydrated and eating. Good luck with her she's a cutie
default_wub.png
:

I'm glad "It" is doing better. But "It" is just too cute to be saddled with that name! Come on Marty! Rename it!

I was so happy to see this post, as I have been wondering about "IT"......

"It" really does need a nice name though, I think you are going to give her a complex. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back