Well... You asked for it!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
Presenting my 33" mare to be shown in AMHR Country Pleasure driving this coming summer.

Her first show this year will be the AMHR National Area II show in MI, where she will be making her driving debut - 4 years waiting
default_wub.png
Many of you know Joy quite well, and I must say that I am excited to be able to give her a new job.

Without further ado, here is BKS Early Morning Joy with Lori Rafter, of MiLo Training Center at the whip. Lori has done an EXCELLENT job working with her.

JoydrivingApril2020092.jpg

JoydrivingApril2020094.jpg

JoydrivingApril2020098.jpg

JoydrivingApril2020099.jpg

And here is one picture, of me with my girlie... Like the hat?
default_biggrin.png
It was a bit breezy in the cart.
default_rolleyes.gif
Thanks Kim for the picture!

JoydrivingApril2020091.jpg

Thanks for letting me share
default_wink.png

She looks great, Desiree! She's going to do you proud this year. Joy looked great driving!
default_smile.png
It was fun watching her and you and Lori driving.

p.s. I missed her last weekend.

I like the baling twine sliding sidereins; very cool!
default_biggrin.png
It looks like Joy has been given an excellent start in driving.

Leia

Joy looks great Desiree, nice to see pics of her driving. I am taking Jazz to the agm tomorrow so Lori can take him back with her for harness training, can't wai until I can drive him too.

Yvonne

default_biggrin.png
Leia
They aren't actually baler twine but 1/4" nylon rope which slides better in the rings. They work perfectly, are quite inexpensive and fit EVERY horse!
default_new_rofl.gif
Snap on a ring to the girth with a double ended snap and you are good to go! My full size leather set doesn't quite work for the Minis at all and only fits certain full size horses for about 100 times the cost!
default_wink.png

Joy was just a joy to work with! She really seems to enjoy driving and has quite a bit of energy for it. With all her past showing experience nothing really fazes her traffic wise and with the exception of a bit of trouble accepting the bit and then the blinders she really took to it like butter!!!

She looks very nice! I can't wait to see her later in the year when she has more miles under her girth, LOL.

Desiree and Lori the horse looks great driving. Looking forward to seeings the both of you at Regionals in Michigan. Will be cheering you on. Take Care f Frannie
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

default_biggrin.png
Leia
They aren't actually baler twine but 1/4" nylon rope which slides better in the rings. They work perfectly, are quite inexpensive and fit EVERY horse!
default_new_rofl.gif
Snap on a ring to the girth with a double ended snap and you are good to go! My full size leather set doesn't quite work for the Minis at all and only fits certain full size horses for about 100 times the cost!
default_wink.png

Joy was just a joy to work with! She really seems to enjoy driving and has quite a bit of energy for it. With all her past showing experience nothing really fazes her traffic wise and with the exception of a bit of trouble accepting the bit and then the blinders she really took to it like butter!!!
What is the purpose of "sliding reins"? Is it for headset? I see the pony is wearing a grazing check. How are they applied properly?

(Novice driver here)
default_giveup.gif

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to thank every one again
default_wub.png
I look forward to see alot of yous later this year.

Krazee bout Kasspur,

What is the purpose of "sliding reins"? Is it for headset?

From what I understand, yes, it it to help greener horses with their headset. It is quite loose and moves with the horse, rather then locking their head in to a force position. I could be wrong though
default_smile.png

I see the pony is wearing a grazing check. How are they applied properly?

I believe what you are talking about is her Side Check? All horses shown with AMHR and AMHA must wear a check(either side or over). Again it is to help with the head set to some extent, but most aren't really used for that too much. More or less it is a piece of tack, like blinders or the trace, that are mandatory for show. Again, not sure if I'm 100% wright, but hope I helped!
default_saludando.gif

You are basically correct Des. Sliding side reins are used to help encourage the horse to lower her head and get the weight back on her haunches by constantly and rhythmically massaging her gums with the bit. It does what your hands should do when you are driving in a ring but makes it easier for a green horse because it is so constant and immediate and easier for the driver of a green horse as you don't have to constantly work her mouth. Because it slides the horse can move its head as far up or down as it wants BUT will find the most comfortable position is down and vertical and when it hits that sweet spot the mild pressure is immediately released. You can see, in the 2nd and more obviously in the 3rd photo where she put her head up and to the right, that she could feel the pressure, by her slightly opened mouth, hollowed back and short stride. In the first photo where she has her head where we want it, at this stage of her training, she is close mouthed, quiet and stepping under herself nicely with a slightly rounded back.

The anti grazing check or side check in this case is not really coming into play at all as it is set very loosely. I would prefer not to use a check at all but this horse is heading for a career in the breed show ring where they are mandatory so she needs to get used to having one on. I would gradually tighten it up over time as she develops until she can wear it and carry herself in the ring.

To apply a side check properly: when the horse is standing with it's head held naturally the check should be only slightly draped without being taut (you shouldn't be able to play it like a stringed instrument) A side check prevents a horse from getting its head all the way to the ground to graze but does allow it to lower its head somewhat whereas an overcheck prevents downward movement completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation....great info to know about. I have a 12 year old cart pony that does a LOT of head tossing. I wonder if this technique is something I should try.

Thanks for the explanation....great info to know about. I have a 12 year old cart pony that does a LOT of head tossing. I wonder if this technique is something I should try.
If he is actually tossing his head I would check to see what is bothering him. Could be something on the bridle or with the bit. Have you had his teeth checked lately? You can certainly use sliding side reins on any horse young or old, green or experienced and they can be of help but I would say that if he is tossing his head there is something wrong and not just with his head set.

Latest posts

Back