Well that stung!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainSong

Reaction score
He's fine now- every five minutes (or less), he's running over and asking me to close the little loading ramp on his Hot Wheels Semi-truck. But man, about fifteen minutes ago, out of the blue he started going "Da da, where arrrrre you?"

It's incredibly cute, and he'll do it with anything (People, hats, shoes, animals, toys....etc). But this time, ouch. I got all teary eyed trying to explain that Dada was at work- not here. He doesn't understand that he won't see Dada again till Friday! I said "Dada's at work." And he stood there for a moment. Then he said "Dada's at work?" And I said "Yes, Dada's at work." He pointed to the landing upstairs, where our bedroom is, and said "Dada up there." And I told him no, Dada wasn't. He then pointed to the chair Dave usually sits in and said "Dada here?" I said "No, Dada's not here."

Surprising, no screaming, no crying, just a little frowning and stuff. I don't know if he'll be more upset or not later.

All I can say is... this sucks!

I used to do this with my kids when they were small if we had something to look forward to that was a few days/weeks away it might work for Nathan. Draw a row of blocks on the calendar from now til Friday. When he asks about Da da tell him dad will be home Friday and let him cross off one of the blocks It will help him see its not today but its not far away either and he will have the fun of crossing off the blocks each day. It probably sucks for you alot more than it is bothering Nathan and soon he will tell you Dada is at work.

I've raised three boys in this situation (my husband is a commercial fisher, and has been gone for as much as three months at a time).

They enjoy taking pictures, "writing" letters to daddy, or talking about what Daddy is doing. It helps and it's comforting. Their Dad would send them postcards and/or a toy now and then, but the best thing is for them to talk to him on the phone if and when he can.

I know it's sad, but he will learn there is a comforting rhythm in life when his Dad returns home...

Hope it goes fast!

Liz

Yeah... it was better when we'd call Dave every morning. He handled it well then.

But Dave was home for over a month, and was the one getting up with him and everything... so now he's even more aware Dave's gone. He hasn't said anything about it since, but bedtime's going to be bad- that was their special time. Dave would take Nathan up and read him a book or two. I started it, but two days later Dave was home...

He's going back to being anxious when I leave the room, too. I'm hoping Dave will call when he gets off work, so Nathan can talk to him.

Thank goodness it's just Monday through Friday for a few weeks... not out for whole months at a time. I'll be so incredibly glad when we finally move -.-

Latest posts

Back