Well "don't buy gas" day didn't work

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Got this in an email today. I knew that not buying gas on one day wouldn't work, but I'd like to know what your thoughts are on this one.

"This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worthy of your consideration.

Join the resistance! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by summer and it might possibly go higher! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around earlier! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of 2007, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

I think something like that would work. But we don't have Exxon OR Mobile in our area, so it wouldn't effect us one way or the other. But the consumer has to be flexible enough to purchase from only the company who drops below 5 cents of their competitor in order to get the companies as a whole to drop their prices enough to do some good, IMHO.

In my opinion, somethings GOTTA give. I was shocked that the next day after the gas protest, the gas price went UP 11 cents! To me, that was like a slap in the face. The gas price from that Tuesday has since gone up another 10 cents! Not to mention I had to buy groceries the other evening and my 7 yr. old wanted to ride in the basket of the cart. I tried very hard not to go over $50, and I walked out with 5 bags and paying almost $90... and I am a very frugal spender, shopping only the generic brands and choosing only what was completely necessary to sustain on (and no meats). :no: Everything went up from 3 cents to over 20 cents on each and every item since the "gas strike".

We need minimum wage to compensate if this is going to happen (I had a thought of entering into another depression if things don't give.) $6.25 an hour just don't match.

~Karen

Nope... there is a link on Snoops.com that goes from the "don't buy gas on suchandsuch a day" directly to this one. The facts are all wrong... the companies listed DO buy from OPEC nations. The only companies that don't, don't need to because they don't have that much demand! If they DID have enough demand, they would be buying from them.

That, plus the fact that all gas goes into a "pool", with companies buying from the pool, slapping their name-brand on it, and sell it. A gas truck could go directly from an Exxon station to a BP station, delivering the same gas for the same price.

Read the Snoops article for more details.

Thanks guys. That's pretty muchly how I saw it. I doubt that there is much we can all do to hurt their pockets, except for maybe relying on car-pooling and public transportation. But who wants to do those?
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I just wanted to see if others would see it the same way.
default_wink.png
:

Please keep in mind gas is not the only petroleum product out there. If you want to have an impact do your research and decrease use of things like plastic, extremely processed foods, synthetics like polyester etc. Gas is only a small part of where oil supplies go. You want to hit them, hit them everywhere.....recycle!

Well -- I don't ever buy gas from the big guys - their gas is always more expensive - so don't see how that campaign will help.

Biggest thing I can think to do is try to consolidate my trips - drive as little as possible and conserve fuel. Truly cutting back on overall usage (not sporadic) is what drives the price down.. High demand makes for high prices.

Carpool, ride a bike - ride a scooter, drive a mini - whatever

The thing is OIL ISN'T expensive.... I mean, it is, but its not. The markup is in fuel, where the gas companies are raking in BILLIONS of dollars PROFIT per quarter. That's not from plastics and such, that's mostly from gasoline. Yes, recycling and buying renewable supplies WILL lower prices, but that's not the main effect. Oil is at a long-time low, and gasoline is still $1 more per gallon than it was last time the prices were that low. Wonder why?

I doubt that there is much we can all do to hurt their pockets, except for maybe relying on car-pooling and public transportation. But who wants to do those?
default_rolleyes.gif
:
Unfortunately, it's exactly this type of attitude that we in North America have that continues to keep prices so high. IF we were to carpool and/or use public transportation, it MIGHT help in bringing down prices. This might work in the big cities, but for most of us on here for example who live out in the country, it's not really feasible. There are SOOOO many factors that go into setting these ridiculously high prices.... summer driving season, wars, someone taken hostage in Iraq, someone in Venezuela sneezed...... that I really don't think anything we as consumers do will have much effect at all.

What burns me the most is that Canada and the U.S. have so much oil of their own, why do we have to rely on all these other foreign countries so much?! (That's probably a silly and naive question, but it still bugs me!!)

Now here's an depressing tidbit I heard on the radio yesterday. They were saying that oil prices are currently at about $66/barrel, but if the U.S. has another bad hurricane season like a couple of years ago with Katrina and the others, that we could be looking at prices of $89 per barrel!!! EEEEK!!!!!! Now THAT would be scary!

Right now in our area, we're paying about $1.04 per litre, which would be roughly $4.16 a gallon, but that's "cheap" compared to other parts of our country. I heard that in Vancouver last week they were paying $1.30 which was the highest in the country. But does it stop our drivers from heading north for the weekend in DROVES? No! The highways were packed! Obviously I'm not the only one who "likes to drive and drive", as my good friend in Michigan says!

Anyway, I hope all of you in the U.S. have a SAFE and happy Memorial Day weekend!!

Latest posts

Back