Weight of yearling filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
I was reading the post about the new purina Miniature Horse & Pony feed and I saw a lot of comments about yearlings needing more than the average adult Mini (which makes since), but it made me a little paranoid about our filly
default_unsure.png
She gets fed exactly the same as the rest of our minis (all adults and on the fatter side...) They get fed roughly 1/4Ib of Strategy Healthy Edge twice a day. They get grass either all day or most of the day (sometimes we put them on a dry lot just at night) and they get about 4 flakes a day between all six of them (which is basically free choice, because some of them pick at it all day and the others just like the grass and don't touch the hay). Anyway, does her weight look okay? Her coat is very silky feeling so I don't think that's an issue, but anyway just tell me what you think. Oh, and what about the two mares in the second picture? To me the Guin (the mare on the right) looks fat, but is she obese or just a little overweight? Thanks for any help!

041-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your yearling looks GREAT! You have done an excellent job with her.

The second mare is a little fat but not what I would call obese. If she is just a pet I wouldnt really worry about fixing it. Has she had foals? If so it could be from that and may not ever totally go away.

Your yearling looks GREAT! You have done an excellent job with her.

The second mare is a little fat but not what I would call obese. If she is just a pet I wouldnt really worry about fixing it. Has she had foals? If so it could be from that and may not ever totally go away.

Thanks for the reasurance! And no, she's never had a foal, but she has the same "shape" as our mare who has LOL. I'm glad she doesn't look too overly fat to you. She's the only one who I'd consider too heavy for my liking and she's BY FAR the tallest of our Minis so "logically" you'd think she'd need more feed, not less haha
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't think she looks too heavy at all....nice job! She's a lovely little girl
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back